London and Paris Hotel Suggestions?

DisSarahK

Missing Mickey...
We are a family of four (children will be 12 and 14) and will be visiting Disneyland Paris in the middle of a spring break trip to London and Paris at the beginning of April. Any suggestions on budget friendly places to stay in either city? Unfortunately our trip isn't as long as I wish it could be (school gets in the way) so renting an apartment is out.

Ideally I'd like to stay around $300 (US dollars) if possible and not be in a dump or a Novotel, but that seems to be wishful thinking. Any ideas?

I used to live in London and now I go back on a regular basis to visit friends. The 3 main mid price chains I would recommend are Comfort Inn, Travel Lodge and Premier Inn. These hotels will have 2 double beds, indoor corridors (are not motels) and some have in room coffee making facilities. A fridge and microwave are not standard in European hotels. Some will have breakfast either included in the price or for an extra price.

Go to Google maps and map out all of these areas. You need to be looking for Tube stations and bus stops, both of which are on Google maps.

Victoria area is my go to area.
I have a trip booked for December and this is the hotel I am staying in http://www.comfortinnbuckinghampalacerd.co.uk/ I have stayed here before. It is in between Victoria train station and Victoria bus station, about 7 minutes walk from Victoria tube line and on the number 11 bus route. Take a look at this hotel first on Google Maps. See where the bus stops and tube stations are. I would use this as guide when planning a hotel and seeing where the transport options are. I would not book a hotel where the transport options are a bigger distance than this example.

This is another Comfort Inn, a larger building, located on the road parallel to the above hotel. This hotel is nearer to Victoria train and tube station. http://www.comfortinnvictoria.co.uk/

This hotel is across the road from the larger Comfort Inn https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-victoria.html

Here are a list of other Premier Inn hotels in London https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london.html The only two I would not recommend are the ones in Brixton and Hackney as these are not good areas.

I have also stayed at the Travel Lodge chain of hotels
https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/318/London-Central-Covent-Garden-hotel
https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/312/London-Central-Marylebone-hotel
https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/342/London-Central-Southwark-hotel

Definitely recommend Premier Inn in the UK. In France we have stayed at numerous Novotels and they have always been very good. Also have used Holiday Inn in France. Do you want to stay in the city or near Disneyland. Personally I would avoid Kyriad (particularly the one by Disneyland) as we have had bad experiences there but I know others have found it ok.

Even though I visit London a lot, I stay with family so can't help with this.
I can hopefully help with Paris as I almost always do trips that are 2 nights Paris/2 nights Disney. Pretty much all hotels in Paris will have small hotel rooms, just to warn you!
In March we had a really good stay at Ibis Gare du Lyon - it's right next to the train station, and we had a family room that opened right onto a lovely small courtyard. It was very good value. I'd definitely return.
I also enjoyed Hotel Des Boulles des Paris a couple of years ago - it was slightly more expensive but a good price for 4 star hotel.
I've had good experiences with AirBnB apartments as well: this can be a good way to get more space in Paris.

One thing that I have noticed is that almost all the rooms at different hotels only have double beds. I guess we will just have to deal with that. And if my daughter's friend goes with us, that will make a party of five and I suppose we will have to rent a house or something. Haven't seen the first hotel room that will sleep five.

One thing that I have noticed is that almost all the rooms at different hotels only have double beds. I guess we will just have to deal with that. And if my daughter's friend goes with us, that will make a party of five and I suppose we will have to rent a house or something. Haven't seen the first hotel room that will sleep five.

That is correct, 2 double beds in a hotel room is standard for European hotels. The only way you will get something for 5 people is to have connecting rooms or if you are lucky some hotels have 1 or 2 family rooms. Also European hotel rooms in general are smaller than American hotels and most dont have a fridge or microwave.

If you don't mind hostel level comfort then you can get rooms in London that have a double and bunk beds all in the same room. They are not amazing, but practical.

If you don't mind hostel level comfort then you can get rooms in London that have a double and bunk beds all in the same room. They are not amazing, but practical.
That would be great for the two kids, but for me and hubby, we will just have to settle. He's a pretty big guy. But in the end, we will do what we need to do in hopes of getting our oldest daughter's back fixed. I have to remember even though we plan to tour for a week, its the need and hope of getting her back fixed is what is drawing us over there.

Premier Inns are better than Travelodge for families with older children because the extra beds added to the family rooms are FAR more comfortable. I won't book Travelodge when my son is with us because his bed would be AWFUL. Premier Inn is the way to go in my opinion. (Not tried Comfort Inn) Also, Premier Inn often has connecting rooms.

In London, you can stay in the centre of London OR go a bit further out and catch the Tube (aka Underground Train) in to wherever you want to go; which is a bit cheaper, but you have to take travel time and costs into account.

Thank you all very much for the ideas. I will do some more poking around on the internet using this info. I'd like to go a bit above a hostel--this is my 40th birthday trip. I've stayed in MANY European hostels over the years, especially traveling with my mother when I was a child. This trip is a bit special, so no hostels!

Premier Inn definitely sounds like one to look into. Thank you for that lead. I did come across the name, but clearly didn't spend enough time looking into it. And yes, we're fine with two double beds. My kiddos are fine with sharing--that is the price of travel! They're just thrilled to be going to Europe.

We are gonna do just one room for us, so the places that won't allow more than two adults won't work for us. But Premier does look nice.

Have you considered airbnb? This is what we're doing for a trip to Paris next summer.

You can get an entire apartment or house for less than the cost of a hotel room

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts