Locking storage at college?

Sandy V.

Parenting is NOT for sissies!<br><font color="blue
I'm the mom of a high school senior. One of the things that I read about is protecting yourself from theft in the dorms. I plan on buying a laptop lock, but I wanted to know if you brought any type of locking storage with you for extra $$, I-pods, etc., and if so, where you purchased it? Have you used it often? Not much?

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. I'm really not trying to be paranoid, but I don't want her getting ripped off either.

i got a small trunk that fit under my bed that had a lock on it..i kept all my money and stuff like that in there....

i had a trunk too with a padlock last year when i lived in a triple..it was good for that kind of stuff, and for my laptop if i was gone for extended periods of time, also my jewelry...this year i'm in apartments so luckily i can just lock my door

I have a laptop lock that I use. My mom also bought me a lock box last year. Its not that big (about the size of a shoe box) but it works well for what I keep in (CD player, extra cash, checks, etc). I thought it was really dorky but I would really reccomend something. Last year a girl had her laptop stolen off her desk while she was in the bathroom. A few of my friends had their rooms broken into too.

I only have a laptop lock. My debit card is always on me, along with my ID card which has my meal plan and all that important stuff on it. So are my keys. I keep very little cash with me; if I really need cash my bank has an ATM on campus. We're unbelievably careful about locking our door, no matter where we go. Hopefully that'll continue, because I do not have a lock box. My stepdad wanted to get one for me, but he was thinking along the lines of a big safe and there's no place to fit one of those

I got DS a small safe at microfridge.com. It's what his school recommended, it's small, heavy,can't be carried out without someone noticing. It opens and closes with his student ID. The only thing is his laptop doesn't fit in there. I called and specifically asked measurements of the inside of the box and from what the rep. told me his laptop would have fit in there no problem, she must have measured wrong. :rolleyes: He will still keep his printer in there (it's a very small portable printer), his checkbook, small amounts of cash, important papers etc.
I also got fire and theft protection up to $4000 worth for $88,so if anything is stolen that I have a receipt for they will replace it.
All DS's friends going to college this year got the safe, fire and theft insurance and tuition insurance.
Nice to see someone else planning ahead SandyV!!
There is a group of us parents that have been planning ahead every step of the way, since beg. of Senior year, (we should have started sooner). LOL
We thought we were the only ones. :grouphug:

Thanks for the responses. Lynn, that does look like a good safe. I like the combination of decent size, weight, and price.

Yep, starting to think ahead a little bit. I want to put aside a few things each month if I can so I don't get hit with a LARGE bill all at once next July and August!

Lockable storage, an idea whose time has come for college dorm rooms.

Can DS or DD make his/her own after getting there to see what size and shape the storage unit must be? Does the college have a woodworking shop students can use? A lockable h inged cover that fits over the study desk is one idea.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

My dorm included lockable storage space that worked with the room key. I don't know if your DS or DD's dorm does that but mine did.

~Snow White's Proteje princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter