Locking MB (or MB+) to wrist

Plague

DIS Veteran
Apologies if something like this post already exists, but I couldn't find anything.

Back in 2018 I was quite neurotic about losing my MB because that 2-nib fixing just doesn't seem safe and found a fob adapter in a Disney shop to instead attach it to my belt. I could then pull it out of my pocket to show to (eg) Fastpass readers.
MB1.jpg

This wasn't actually all that convenient, so for my trip just gone I got tooled up for something better for my needs.
Basically a zip-tie.
Before going further I will say my neurosis was justified a week or so ago when boarding Slinky Dog Dash. A man in the row next to me lost his while we were boarding. I caught a glimpse of something blue near the ground for a moment but it immediately disappeared into the gap between the platform and train - Murphy's Law is still a winner. He realised immediately but it was gone and I saw him talking to CMs after the ride.

My initial idea was to just wrap a zip-tie round the overlap, much like the sliders you can buy) but I felt that during the day that it (or they) could shift without being noticed. So I decided on a more certain solution of which this is a walkthrough. (I didn't get my band until onsite so I had to guess a bit on what I'd need.)

You'll need zip-ties (at least one per day) and some tools:
MB3.jpg
These are 2.5mm ties (ebay).

MB2.jpg

I thought a small screwdriver would punch the band but that stuff is really tough, so I ended up using the pointy end of the scissors I took. Even then it was hard and you need to be careful not to damage furnishing or yourself.
The hole for the zip-tie needs to be exactly one spot back from the official fastening nibs. You could eyeball it but I fastened it up and pushed the tool, or something, through the hole next to the two official fixing nibs and mark that position. Open the band to get working space and make the tie opening with your tool. It won't be a hole like the existing one but as long as your tool has gone right through it should be enough. (I used the taper on the scissors to make it a little more slot like to suit the shape of the zip-tie - the slot needs to be along the strap not across.)
It all closes up as soon as you remove the tool, but that's OK.

Before inserting the tie decide on how loose/tight you want the worn band. It'll be all day because it's not coming off without sharp tools, so looser is probably better.

Now push a tie through:
MB4.jpg

MB5.jpg

Getting it on the wrist is tricky if you are alone, but if you have someone to help it should be easy. With the band on your wrist you need to feed the end of the tie through the hole next to the ones the nibs will go in (as you decided up the page), then push it all together until the nibs are locked. Now feed the end of the tie through the locking part:
MB6.jpg

(I was alone and getting the shorter (60mm) tie to work was difficult. The 100mm was better - I'd rest the 'face of the MB on a table/counter and then get the tie end through the appropriate hole, grab the protruding end and gently use that to pull the straps closer together. Then I could press the nibs into their holes.)

Pull the tie up snug - it doesn't need to be very tight - and cut the excess off.
Initially I used the scissors but because of the way they cut it left a little bit of tie sticking out that could snag threads. I had nail clippers with me, so I used those to cut it flush.
MB7.jpg

Job done.
When I got back to the resort for the night I used the scissors to cut the tie and get the band off. New tie for the next day.

I've not handled one but I think the MB+ uses the same fastening, so this should work for them too.

Obviously if you want a pristine collectible/memento this might not make you happy - but at least you will still have it :cheer2:

Very occasionally the protruding tie would just catch my clothes while walking, but it was only a couple of times in 12 days.
You could possibly feed the tie through the other way if you have an assistant, and/or position the square lock body differently (eg. on the edge of the strap), but this worked well for me.

Great suggestion!! Thanks for the detailed directions! Might have to try this for my daughter. Her MB seems to come off all the time, but luckily only lost once.

One snag I hit with it was table service dining, where at the end of the meal they ask to take your MB away as they didn't have mobile readers. So I had to go with them to the till the first time.

Solution was to get a programmed card from resort reception and just hand that to the server at the end of the meal. (It was also a back-up in case of MB fail as I never could get my phone to act as a room key.)

Her MB seems to come off all the time
Yes, kids are probably higher risk and if it's an MB+ and/or special edition there is a substantial cost ... not that $21 for the most basic MB like mine is exactly cheap.

I have used Magic Bands and never had any issues. The snap fit feature works great and never had to worry about losing it. Are the newer ones shorter so perhaps you have fewer pins to push into the holes?

I have used Magic Bands and never had any issues.
Most people won't. But it does happen.
Like most unfortunate incidents, such as a minor fender-bender, when it happens to you it can become a royal PITA sorting out the results.
When I'm on holiday I don't need that, so I'd rather take 30 seconds each morning to make it 99.99% not-going-to-happen.

Are the newer ones shorter so perhaps you have fewer pins to push into the holes?
As I remember my 2018 was the same as this year with 2 pins. It took little force to 'unzip' it - certainly not impossible for it to catch on a pocket opening for instance and get released.
I also tend to wave my arms around on some rides :crazy:

We have used BitBelts for years. Cheap and work great without you even feeling them on the MB.
That's interesting.
I did consider those, or similar things, but my experience with the sliders on watch straps (when I wore watches) always shifting and leaving the end flapping made me wary. (I actually superglued the slider on a Smart watch, with a plastic strap, but that wouldn't do for this MB job as you'd never be able to get it off.)

That's interesting.
I did consider those, or similar things, but my experience with the sliders on watch straps (when I wore watches) always shifting and leaving the end flapping made me wary. (I actually superglued the slider on a Smart watch, with a plastic strap, but that wouldn't do for this MB job as you'd never be able to get it off.
Rubber/silicone material they do not budge at all. Kinda stretch them to put in place and they don’t move.

Our first trip we had one fly off on RNR so I searched for best option.

We have used BitBelts for years. Cheap and work great without you even feeling them on the MB.

Go to Amazon and search -

Bitbelt 12 pack​

View attachment 719057
Yes! this is what we use after I had a MB fall off while exiting RNR about five years ago (realized it before we got to the gift shop and recovered it). I was so nervous it would happen again. Never had an issue since. I always send them to friends and family who call me to ask for help when they are planning a Disney trip!

Strange. These don't appear on Amazon UK, though a few similar things are listed in amongst lots of other stuff like toolbelts. I think UK can order them from the .com site but I couldn't get a delivery cost without jumping through hoops about my CC.

I did notice they do two sizes, with a Jr one that is for a MB which has been reduced for a child (you can peel off part of the black backing), so make sure you are ordering the right size - or both.

Zip tie might still be better for bored kids that fiddle with things in queue lines though. Tamper proof :)

thank you for this post! Losing a band seems like a huge hassle, even if the chance is small I’d rather take steps to be prepared! The zip ties are a great idea and the BitBelts are a great solution too! Amazon even had glow in the dark ones the kids will love

The Dis is the best 🥰

thank you for this post! Losing a band seems like a huge hassle, even if the chance is small I’d rather take steps to be prepared! The zip ties are a great idea and the BitBelts are a great solution too! Amazon even had glow in the dark ones the kids will love

The Dis is the best 🥰
We have glow in the dark ones! :goodvibes They are very comfortable, soft and do a great job. You forget they are there. We only wear the design/collectible MBs - my one is a Dooney - and we don't want to spend that much and lose them. Before we got BitBelts I can't tell you how many times our MB popped off when barely clipping something. Luckily we mostly caught them but losing on a ride is goodbye forever.

We have glow in the dark ones! :goodvibes They are very comfortable, soft and do a great job. You forget they are there. We only wear the design/collectible MBs - my one is a Dooney - and we don't want to spend that much and lose them. Before we got BitBelts I can't tell you how many times our MB popped off when barely clipping something. Luckily we mostly caught them but losing on a ride is goodbye forever.
I have two very excited goddaughters who spent a lot of time choosing just the right band for their first *real* visit (only done 1 day once before) so $8.99 is a minuscule price to pay to ensure there is no magic band drama!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter