Live in CA? Apply for a Southwest card to get companion pass!

I saw this on the budget board on Wednesday and applied, waiting for my card to come in the mail, this is a great offer!!!

I believe it's companion pass that gives you free companion flights for a year. So after next year you'd either have to hit their points or number of flights to keep it. At least that's how I understand it.

It's a great deal. Unfortunately, though I could apply for a Plus card, the fact that I already have the Premium card makes me ineligible. It is also different from the regular CP in that it begins as soon as you get the card and make the minimum expenditure and ends Dec 31, 2018. No getting extra months based on when you apply except that the sooner, the better in this case. Here is the fine print:

Typically, when you earn a Southwest Companion Pass, the pass will be eligible until December 31 of the year after earned. So, you might be wondering if waiting until January 1, 2018 to make the one purchase will get you the Companion Pass through December 31, 2019. That’s covered in the Terms & Conditions: “Promotional Companion Pass is valid from the time promotion qualifications are met, through December 31, 2018.” So, there’s no reason to wait to make the purchase.

Other important terms and conditions apply to this excellent offer:

• This product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Rapid Rewards Credit Card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new cardmember bonus for a Rapid Rewards Credit Card within the last 24 months.
  • To qualify for this offer, (a) Member must have a valid California address listed on their application for the Rapid Rewards Credit Card, (b) Member must open a Rapid Rewards Credit Card by November 30, 2017.
  • Please allow up to 15 business days after qualifying for promotional Companion Pass to receive your notification to designate your Companion.

With a SW companion pass, the person of your choice flies free with you for the whole year on as many flights as you care to take. They can also go with you free if you use points to book your flight, and you can change your designated companion up to 3 times in a year. Awesome, especially as they are going to be opening up flights from CA to Hawaii in 2018, according to a recent email I received from them.

This is super tempting. I always worry about hurting my credit score (lowering my account ages) by opening a new card... but this one has me thinking. Although I think I may drive DH mad wanting to take random quick trips to DLR constantly.

This is super tempting. I always worry about hurting my credit score (lowering my account ages) by opening a new card... but this one has me thinking. Although I think I may drive DH mad wanting to take random quick trips to DLR constantly.

I totally understand. I didn't really want to open another credit card, but i've been debating a travel rewards card for awhile now and this offer was just to tempting to pass up.

I totally understand. I didn't really want to open another credit card, but i've been debating a travel rewards card for awhile now and this offer was just to tempting to pass up.
I ended up pulling the trigger and going for this deal after all (like you, I couldn't resist!). How long did it take you to get your companion pass added to your account after your first purchase?

I ended up pulling the trigger and going for this deal after all (like you, I couldn't resist!). How long did it take you to get your companion pass added to your account after your first purchase?

My first purchase posted on Nov 4th and I had the email about my companion pass (and added it to my account) on Nov 16th.

I actually havent received my companion pass yet, at least not that im aware of. But it did take a little while to get my card since they wanted to verify my information. I've been on the lookout for it though!

I received the email on Nov 16th and set everything up, on the 21st I received the physical card in the mail (not sure why they send the card). I have already booked two trips using the companion pass!!!

Im hopeful ill get mine soon. My first purchase was on the 8th. Fingers crossed! I have a few trips i wanna book.

Ok, thanks guys. Sounds like they take awhile...I made my first purchase about a week ago and still nothing. Im also super anxious to get something booked already!

I thought there was a minimum spend amount before you got CP and bonus points? I got notice via email I have my CP, the card hasn’t arrived yet (no need for it though). I’m still waiting on my bonus points.

I thought there was a minimum spend amount before you got CP and bonus points? I got notice via email I have my CP, the card hasn’t arrived yet (no need for it though). I’m still waiting on my bonus points.

There was a minimum spend before the bonus points but not for the CP.

Update! I finally received my e-mail to designate my companion pass. It sure feels like it took forever. Since i made my first purchase 11/8, it took just over a month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter