Lines at Harry Potter

Jmljasmine

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip in a few years for 2 park days (unless you think 1 may work). My kids are really getting into Harry Potter so most of Universal day(s) will be that. Disney lines have gotten much more intense when we last went and I'm wondering how Universal is, especially with Harry Potter. We can arrange a weekday and plan on an April trip due to birthdays ( hopefully away from Easter). As a big family express pass will be pricey and I'd like to avoid but what is the reality we are looking at.

We are planning a trip in a few years for 2 park days (unless you think 1 may work). My kids are really getting into Harry Potter so most of Universal day(s) will be that. Disney lines have gotten much more intense when we last went and I'm wondering how Universal is, especially with Harry Potter. We can arrange a weekday and plan on an April trip due to birthdays ( hopefully away from Easter). As a big family express pass will be pricey and I'd like to avoid but what is the reality we are looking at.
They get long.
Download the app, and you are able to check wait times, it can sometimes give you a rough idea how the lines may be on any given day.

Other than Hagrid’s, most of the HP aren’t bad. It will vary depending on time of day and time of year. It will be probably different in 2025 , when Epic opens. I would think lines at IoA/US will go down as Epic opens and everyone wants to go there.

Depending how big your group is, a hotel reservation at Premiere level hotel might work for you- 2 days of express for all on reservation included in room stay

Do the rides include Hagrid? If so, it will be the longest of the bunch. Reasonable wait times can be had for Forbidden Journey and Escape from Gringotts at different points in the day.

And since Hagrids isn't included in EP, it shouldn't really factor into that decision.
Exploring, using wands, shows - EP will also not help with.

The last week of April will be the least busy (also the hottest).

If you can delay until May, lines will be better. May is becoming the second slowest month after September. Not sure it that holds true in a few years, but might be worth to wait.

You definitely need at least two days. I’d recommend three if you want to do anything on repeat. Look into staying at a deluxe resort where express is included with your stay. Deluxe resorts also have fabulous pool areas for quick afternoon breaks. Everything is so close compared to Disney! If you’re worried about lines, deluxe with included express is definitely the way to go.

Our visits to Universal tend to be pretty chill compared to WDW. If you stay at Portofino/HRH/Royal Pacific then you get Express Pass. With it, we just pretty much wander wherever we feel like going. No plan at all. We also don't tend to worry much about dining at Universal either, but we tend to eat a fair amount of quick serve food.

I think Epcot Universe will be a big deal, and bring change. Hard to say how much more crowded the older parks will be.

If you really want TS, then you can make reservations, usually they are not essential though. you may wait for table, but Universal is normal, and they will notify you when your table is ready.

I do suggest using the app. You can look at it now if you want to get a sense of park touring.

We did LOVE the new Minions area! If you want to understand the game though, use the app. Link your blaster to the app with your phone. The food is also fun. LOVE the popsicles!

Some of the QS places are worth skipping. We tend to like the HP options, some of the places in Citywalk, and some of the places at the hotels. There are some offsite options too.

A bonus of Easter week is longer park hours. With any theme park, the more you can use peripheral park hours, the better. Also look for ways to zig while the crowd zags. The crowd currently arrives on a weekend, starts at WDW, then goes to Universal towards the end of the week. If you want to avoid peak crowds, don't do that. that's mostly what there is to know. If you want to go to expert level: avoid eating lunch at noon.

Break the eating rules a little. You are a Super Villain! Eat a popsicle/dessert before lunch.

Then again, if we visit US in a slower season, we sometimes also just stay off-site.

The onsite hotels are all pretty nice, and the transportation is easier than WDW. We often just walk, but the boats/buses come frequently at Universal.

Oh, we often just skip the water rides. You will get rather wet, so dress accordingly. Of universal's rides though, they are just so-so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter