• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Limits on Target Red Debit?

geargrinder

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know the specifics of the Target Debit Red Card limits? I know that it's because I'm a fairly new Red Card holder. I've made a few smaller purchases in store and bought some Iphones on sale back in October.

Trying to pay my DVC dues. Was able to purchase a decent amount of gift cards for the dues, but I'm about $300 short.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to lift the limit or at least allow a portion to go through?

Interested to know this as well. In 2019 I purchased multiple gift cards in a row at Target for a last minute trip. If I remember correctly I could by one (maybe two) $500 GCs every 5 days or so. My Red Card is a debit card so I think it has something to do with how long it took my bank to clear the charge. But I’d love to hear if someone has had a more recent experience.

I tried to buy $1800 several days ago. I got an error on checkout. When I called, they said that I didn't have enough "history" using the card, but that I could use a lower amount.

I was able to purchase $1300 at that time. The transaction has cleared through my bank a couple days ago now, but I'm still not able to get anything through yet.

I'm mostly wondering when they lift the limit and if it is all at once or if it happens in partially over time.

Several older threads on this topic. Many stores limit the daily amount of gift cards you can purchase due to concerns about fraud/theft and the potential for illegal activity. This isn't specific to any particular merchant and/or type of card being used for the transaction. Some stores are also more diligent in enforcing such rules.

Several older threads on this topic. Many stores limit the daily amount of gift cards you can purchase due to concerns about fraud/theft and the potential for illegal activity. This isn't specific to any particular merchant and/or type of card being used for the transaction. Some stores are also more diligent in enforcing such rules.

Yes, but those threads never discuss how the limits are applied and removed.

They all center around there being a limit and why.

I get that it is for fraud protection, but even then, the terms and conditions are very clear that it is the users responsibility to monitor and keep their account secure.

I want to know more about the actual process, not the reason behind it.

I doubt any credit card will give you their exact formulas for determining spending limits. It depends on spending history, payment patterns and credit score/history which obviously varies by each person.

I doubt any credit card will give you their exact formulas for determining spending limits. It depends on spending history, payment patterns and credit score/history which obviously varies by each person.
This is a debit. Simple pass through for Target straight to my bank bypassing Visa.

Credit history or score has no bearing. Only fund availability on my side. Also which Target says I'm responsible to monitor.

I was able to purchase the last $300 today. 10 days after my initial purchase.

Scratch that. Target cancelled my order. Said that it may have been because of one of the following reasons:

Purchase limit exceeded
We've applied purchase limits to ensure as many families as possible have access to essentials and other high-demand items.​
Payment issue
Our system was unable to verify the payment method used was secure.​
Activity not supported on Target.com
Our system flagged the order due to activity not allowed on the site.​

Starting to get frustrated.

Tried in store today. Got declined trying to buy some misc stuff.

Called card services. They say that I'm at my "limit" and that it has to be at least 5 business days for the transaction to clear the system.

They couldn't say how much the limit is. I also said that I'm past the 5 business days. She told me the dates her system showed the transactions. It was about 4 days after I bought them and 2 days after my bank showed the transactions.

Weird that they show the transaction so late. At least I know now that there is a severe lag and need to plan accordingly.

Currently on hold with target card bc my target debit card won't let me buy 1300 $ of giftcards. I literally got this card for this reason

Currently on hold with target card bc my target debit card won't let me buy 1300 $ of giftcards. I literally got this card for this reason
Plan ahead and be patient. I'm going to start buying cards again in preparation of my DVC dues coming up in January.

A Debit card does not go direct to your bank. The card is backed by ? Bank as are a regular Visa or Mastercard and all others Debit or Credit. The limit is set by the Bank issuing the card, What you have in your bank account is irrelevant so long is there is enough to cover the transaction you are trying to make. There will be a clearing time for each transaction after this time the amount will be open to use again. Each Bank will vary you can either read the teens that came with card 😂 or call the number on the card and they will let you know when or maybe they will increase your limit.

A Debit card does not go direct to your bank. The card is backed by ? Bank as are a regular Visa or Mastercard and all others Debit or Credit. The limit is set by the Bank issuing the card, What you have in your bank account is irrelevant so long is there is enough to cover the transaction you are trying to make. There will be a clearing time for each transaction after this time the amount will be open to use again. Each Bank will vary you can either read the teens that came with card 😂 or call the number on the card and they will let you know when or maybe they will increase your limit.

All true, but these limits aren't being set by the bank, it's being set by Target.

None of these limitations are listed with the terms provided when the card is issued.

Calling doesn't help much either. See what I reported previously. They will only tell you that you've reached your limit and wait 5 business days for the transactions to clear. They will not give specifics beyond that.

Luckily, it only seems to be an issue when the account is new. I'll be testing it next month when I have to get $4000 in gift cards for my dues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter