Like Daddy, Like Daughter

morrik5

DIS Veteran
Our granddaughter is way ahead of her father, our son-in-law. She at the age of 9, will be getting into her own Junior Late Model race car starting the 2024 season Her Daddy started racing when he was in his late 20's-early 30's and still going. Gotta love her!

What is a Jr. Late Model? We have Mini-Sprints around here with kids as young as 5, but I don't think I've seen a Jr. Late model.

Start them young and make sure they learn to respect the equipment and other drivers. It pays off huge when they get a real license.

j

Photo of our existing SMS 35/77 Team car. Race track FB page showing sample of car. It is a small go-kart with a full body. One of the team members' son already is racing and our DGG will join the team with the 35 number next summer. She is already helping Daddy putting the car back together after it came back from the powder coater. She will sit in the stands for every class of racing each weekend unlike her brother who doesn't have any interest.

Last edited:
Those look great. Traditional pro cart below? That should give her lots of experience with setup and tire management.

j

That looks like lots of fun. Coil overs? I can see the A-arms but can't tell what other suspension.

And does she have to wear any kind of head/neck restraint? I'm a huge advocate, even at this level. I made a mess of my neck racing off road before there was such a thing. They were required when I road raced and I swore by my Hybrid Pro. I could never get comfortable in a traditional HANS.

j

Well our DGD won her first trophy of the race season without running a race. She was picked as one of the winners of the "Ladies of the Oval" sponsorships. WTG Savvy!

Attachments

• First Trophy.jpg
    First Trophy.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Savvy and Race Car.jpg
    Savvy and Race Car.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 14
Upload to youtube and share a link maybe? used to be how I shared my racing related videos.

I look forward to hearing about her adventures. I am not sure of your rule book allows it or not, but always found the HANS sliding tethers worth it.

That little thing looks like fun.

I'll second James' comment about a head and neck restraint. We were required to have some FIA approved device. Many wore a HANS, but I never got comfortable with that type and used a Hybrid Pro. Much more comfortable to me and was supposed to provide better angular load support (impact other than head on). As long as the car has 5/6 point restraints, I'd strongly recommend getting one even if the rules don't require it.

1707942055911.png 1707942073187.png

j

Watching you run along with her, it's like running with them when they learn to ride a bike :thumbsup2 :drive:

Post a race schedule. All us old racing guys might just plan a trip
This is the 2024 track schedule. DGD races Jr late model and DSIL runs Renegade Trucks.Check out the StrawnCo77 You Tube Channel each week for a separate video for each class. https://youtube.com/@StrawnCo77?si=XIX7fAIFx8H_Dpcd

Edit:look at the older videos as well showing the #77 Open Wheeled Modified which our DSIL raced until after he was stupidly DQ'd after the 1st or 2nd race last year. He had a quick change in it that they decided he couldn't run any longer even though the car went through tech before the races even started and they would have seen it then.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240219_082354_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219_082354_Facebook.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter