Last second trip questions

Disdad35

Earning My Ears
I have finally worked things out so my 4 year old and I can go to DW over the Hamilton school board closure. We are leaving from Detroit on Friday and staying for 1 week.

Questions:

Any info on driving to Detroit airport would be helpful.

Any place to get good deal on 4 day PH passes - obviously can't order from anywhere since we leave in 4 days, so anywhere to get them here or in Orlando for 1/2 decent price or just get them at the world ?

Any possibility of getting character meals once we get there ?

Got air, hotel and car sorted out via the internet today - whew!

Any other hints, etc. or things that I might forget in my running around like a madman ?

Thanks

Disdad35

Just call for priority seating when you get to WDW for the meals should be no problem. Go to Chef Mickeys for dinner one night you will love it. Just take the 403 to the 401 and straight to Windsor then you can ask for better drections at the border to mae life easier.

Except for Princess meals, we have never had a problem getting PS for character meals after we arrived at Disney. Many times on the same day.

If you're a CAA member, I would recommend getting the 5-day passes from them. They have as good a price as you'll find anywhere. Also, if you buy them at the gate, Disney charges more than if you purchase them in advance.

We live in London, and I know others will disagree with me but I prefer crossing at the Bluewater Bridge at Sarnia rather than Windsor. From London, it's approximately the same time (our route might be slightly longer) compared to the 401, but when you cross into Port Huron you pick up I-94 and just stay on it to the airport. And the speed limits on parts of I-94 north of Detroit are either 70 or 75 mph.

If you're going to leave your vehicle in a Park & Fly lot at DTW, check the Internet. There is one lot (I can't remember which) which does have coupons available on-line. There is an on-line article from the Detroit Free Press which details various parking options at DTW.

- Mike

Hello Disdad:

Though I'm based in the New York City area, I'm a true (North?) American road warrior familiar with Cdn freeways and I just want to support Mike from London on an important tip in getting to Detroit Airport from Hamilton/Toronto.

Be sure to cross into Michigan at the Sarnia/Port Huron border crossing (402 gets you to Sarnia of course)...NOT Windsor!!!
So, at London, watch carefully for the 402 Sarnia sign and take it.

It is smarter to cross here for 3 reasons:

a) once you hop on 1-94 in Pt Huron as Mike says, it's a straight shot south, you pass downtown Detroit and on the west side of town right into Metro Airport....no chance of any confusion.

b) it would be very unusual to have lengthy delays at the Sarnia crossing....on the flip side, it's very common to be delayed at the Windsor crossing
(e.g., you could easily save a half hour or more!)

c) you avoid the annoying lack of freeway in Windsor (once the 401 ends) and the resultant need to crawl through city streets to get to the border (Canada generally needs more freeways....ever been to Vancouver???)...you could waste 15 minutes here and hardly anyone I know in Canada considers this when deciding what route to take. In Sarnia, its the 402 freeway right to the border, the way it should be!

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Jerseyshark

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter