Last minute tipping question

Diskidatheart

DIS Veteran
So we're only 3 days away for our first ABD trip and we are so excited :cool1:, however, we're also in panic mode :scared1:. I'm sure we'll forget some things (hopefully nothing important). The question that I have is whether tips are expected for the local guides? I know the ABD guides get $6-$9 per day per guide per person, but I want to make sure if we're expected to tip the local guides, we are prepared. If we do tip them, what is appropriate? Also, is the $6-$9 per ABD guide accurate? Thanks for your help!

All tips for everyone are included in the cost of the trip with the exception of the ABD Guides. They are the only people you need to tip yourself.

Diskid,
It is getting close! It was my understanding, as well, that all gratuities, except for the ABD guides were included. Looking forward to meeting you in a few days.:hourglass

While the "written rule" might be that all gratuities are taken care of, we and many others on both of the ABD's that we have taken, tipped the local guides. They do such an exceptional job that we felt compelled to tip them ourselves, not knowing exactly how much they would be getting from ABD. For that reason, we wish that gratuities were NOT included, thus eliminating the guesswork of "should I or shouldn't I"....That being said, it is up to you whether you wish to tip the local guides, but personally I would have felt uncomfortable not tipping. (the same problem occured when bell-services brought our luggage to our room - it was awkward, as he was clearly expecting a tip, and therefore we did tip, but again ABD says it's included)

While the "written rule" might be that all gratuities are taken care of, we and many others on both of the ABD's that we have taken, tipped the local guides. They do such an exceptional job that we felt compelled to tip them ourselves, not knowing exactly how much they would be getting from ABD. For that reason, we wish that gratuities were NOT included, thus eliminating the guesswork of "should I or shouldn't I"....That being said, it is up to you whether you wish to tip the local guides, but personally I would have felt uncomfortable not tipping. (the same problem occured when bell-services brought our luggage to our room - it was awkward, as he was clearly expecting a tip, and therefore we did tip, but again ABD says it's included)
Interesting. I never got that vibe on either of the 2 ABD's I've been on. Maybe I'm just clueless!! :confused3

So we're only 3 days away for our first ABD trip and we are so excited , however, we're also in panic mode.
Have an absolutely MARVELOUS time!!! :cool1: Looking forward to hearing about your trip when you get back! Although I may be on my way on my trip by then! :eek:

Sayhello

I've had exactly the opposite experience. I've never seen anyone on either of my ABDs tip any of the local guides or servers. I and other guests have tipped the bus driver. The local guides and servers seem very pleased to be taking care of us, so I assume that ABD tips them well. And I've never had bell service in any way act as if they expected a tip. If they do, I think you should mention it to your guides. I always tip the ABD guides at or near the top of the suggested scale. I'm not very demanding and don't need anything special, but if a situation arose where a guide did something out of the ordinary for me, then I would tip above the scale. And if the guide was not so good, I would tip toward the bottom of the scale, but I can't imagine that ever happening. The guides are just too good.

I have been on two ABD trips and have not tipped anyone (nor did I see anyone else doing it, but maybe I missed it) except the guides. Like Bobo912, I always tip the guides at the top of the scale or even a bit more, as I feel they deserve it. We too are low maintenance, so I'd tip even more if we we were particularly needy for whatever reason.

Of our trips to date (4), there was only one time--the pedicab driver in China; however I was told by the ABD guide that they were well taken care of, and that they had explicit instructions not to seek tips. My wife felt bad not tipping--but I didn't! We pay a premimum for these trips, and one of the nice things about them is to leave all of that sort of trip worry behind. So I do!

So we're only 3 days away for our first ABD trip and we are so excited :cool1:, however, we're also in panic mode :scared1:. I'm sure we'll forget some things (hopefully nothing important). The question that I have is whether tips are expected for the local guides? I know the ABD guides get $6-$9 per day per guide per person, but I want to make sure if we're expected to tip the local guides, we are prepared. If we do tip them, what is appropriate? Also, is the $6-$9 per ABD guide accurate? Thanks for your help!

I don't have any advice on the tipping but wanted to wish you well and hope you have an amazing trip!!!!

We didn't tip the local guides and I asked the guides and they said that we shouldn't worry that they are tipped well.On the other hand I had an experience were the guides went way above their duty and I took care of them and sent an e-mail to guest relations about how well they took care of my problem and anyone else who needed help.All in all our Adventure went rather smooth.We had two of the best guides :) And by the way have a great time and plenty of fun don't worry about a thing it's Disney

Thanks everyone for all the great advice and well wishes! I'm sure we're going to have a wonderful time! Everyone on here has been so helpful and I can't even imagine how unprepared I would have been if it wasn't for all the great feedback from everyone! Grazie! (just practicing).

Have an absolutely MARVELOUS time!!! :cool1: Looking forward to hearing about your trip when you get back! Although I may be on my way on my trip by then! :eek:

Sayhello[/QUOTE]

If I don't get a chance to tell you before you leave on your trip, have an absolute wonderful time on your cruise and I'm really looking forward to your trip report!

Diskidatheart,
I have tried to send you a reply to your Monday message, but am not sure if you got them. I look forward to seeing on Sunday in Rome. have a safe flight.:hourglass

Diskidatheart,
I have tried to send you a reply to your Monday message, but am not sure if you got them. I look forward to seeing on Sunday in Rome. have a safe flight.:hourglass

I just got both messages. See you soon and have a safe flight too...and try to sleep on the plane!

If I don't get a chance to tell you before you leave on your trip, have an absolute wonderful time on your cruise and I'm really looking forward to your trip report!
Thanks, Diskidatheart! Be sure to leave Rome standing for me! :rotfl:

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter