Las Caletas Hideaway sold out :( *UPDATE* spots open! :)

dtrain

DIS Veteran
We are doing the Mexican Riviera in October and wanted this excursion, but I was surprised to see it sold out as soon as I went to book. Do spots ever open up on sold out excursions? If so, how often or when should I check? Should I just book the excursion off Disney or wait and see if I can get it? Thanks.

We are doing the Mexican Riviera in October and wanted this excursion, but I was surprised to see it sold out as soon as I went to book. Do spots ever open up on sold out excursions? If so, how often or when should I check? Should I just book the excursion off Disney or wait and see if I can get it? Thanks.
Yes, spots commonly open up. Just keep checking daily or even bi-daily. Sorry, Im confused with your last question.

Sorry that last bit is worded strangely, the last part of my question is should I just book the excursion through Vallarta Adventures website rather than through Disney? The price is higher but at least I can lock it in. But seeing your reply that spots may open up will keep me busy checking. Thanks.

Any other Mexican Riviera excursions that are must do?

Sorry that last bit is worded strangely, the last part of my question is should I just book the excursion through Vallarta Adventures website rather than through Disney? The price is higher but at least I can lock it in. But seeing your reply that spots may open up will keep me busy checking. Thanks.

Any other Mexican Riviera excursions that are must do?
If its on too much higher go through Vallarta Adventures. I personally have never been on a Mexican Rivera cruise so I don't know. If the price difference is too much higher, just go with whichever one has a opening. Any excursion tends to ope up at some point if not too close to cruise time. The only thing that typically doesn't open up is a CC cabana. Best wishes and good luck!

Definitely try to see if you can book directly through Vallarta Adventures. We've done this one (not on a cruise - we were staying in PV at the time) and it's fantastic. I hope you can get it!

We are going to PV in November (not on a cruise) and are booking this excursion through Vallarta Adventures.

*edit to add* So it's actually CHEAPER booking through the cruise line (I know!!!) but if you book online through Vallarta Adventures they knock off 15% so that should bring it closer to Disney prices.

Adult: $101 (Disney) vs $139
Kids: $70 (Disney) vs $85

Last edited:
This notice is displayed when trying to book an excursion through the Vallarta Adventures website.........

To all guests visiting us via cruise ships:

As the principal shore excursion operator for the cruise lines in Puerto Vallarta, it’s extremely likely that Vallarta Adventures will be operating your tour. We strongly recommend that any shore excursion reservation is made directly with your cruise line, and suggest you sign up early as the most popular tours sell out quickly!

-Vallarta Adventures reserves the right to cancel any reservation made with incorrect hotel information.

Actually when I tried to book it the date shows sold out on Vallarta's website as well. This stinks! I've been checking DCL daily, multiple times a day but it looks like they are full unless someone cancels.

Does anyone have experience going to the excursion desk on the ship and getting added even though it shows sold out? I'm wondering if nothing opens up in the next 2 1/2 months if we might be able to convince them to add us (only the wife and I).

Does anyone have experience going to the excursion desk on the ship and getting added even though it shows sold out? I'm wondering if nothing opens up in the next 2 1/2 months if we might be able to convince them to add us (only the wife and I).

You won't be able to convince them to add anyone over and above the maximum numbers - they have limitations on numbers for transportation, for safety, or any number of other reasons so they're quite strict about numbers. But be persistent. They sometimes add tours and plenty of people change or drop excursions, especially closer to the sail date. I was unable to get the tour I particularly wanted two cruises ago, kept checking and was able to switch from the one I booked to the one I really wanted about 8 weeks after booking my second choice. Then they added an adults-only version to another excursion so I switched that one. That then opened up other spots for people wanting the tours I had booked. This can happen even more about the last month or so as people really firm up their plans.

Also, do check the Port Adventures desk when you board and even up to the day of (assuming you don't have something else booked). You have to cancel within 3 days of the cruise to get refunds but sometimes on the cruise people will want to cancel and they can't get refunds unless someone else wants the spot. We've had friends we were cruising with manage to get a spot in a previously sold out excursion the day prior to the excursion halfway through the cruise because someone else wanted to cancel.

Also, unless there's absolutely nothing that interests you, be open to alternate/second choices. I was unable to book my first choice in Naples on a Med cruise and was pretty disappointed by that but settled for booking my second choice. It turned out to be one of the best excursions I've been on and would book that again in a heartbeat probably over what had been my first choice. At Civitavecchia, I didn't like any of the tours for Rome and didn't want to do it on our own (all of the tours basically replicated what we'd done a couple of years earlier). Did something else entirely as a second choice, very reluctantly, and I'd now do that one again too, maybe even over Rome. I just view it as a chance to explore something different. Of course, there are ports where I haven't even disembarked because we'd done it before and nothing interested me. Then I just view it as a chance to relax in a less crowded ship.

Last edited:
Great news! Spots just opened up and I was able to book, thanks for the comments and advice all.:dogdance:

So just as a reference in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation: My bookings opened up on July 17th, the excursion showed sold out that morning and I missed it. I checked every day, several times a day and 17 days later spots opened up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter