Large number of restaurants with no availability???

It is illegal for any program to crawl Disney's Dining system, even if they do not charge for it. It will only be a matter of time before this is shut down.

No. Touring Plans has been around for a long time and has offered this service for a long time, and they are a reputable blog. Not being shut down. It would only MAYBE be "illegal" if they were holding ADRs, but they aren't. As PP mentions, they are merely alerting you when one becomes available and its up to the person to pop on Disney app or web site to make the ADR. Often people are too late, even after receiving the alert.

No I didn't realize that people make multiple reservations for the same time and date. didn't know you could do that. I've only ever made 1 reservation for 1 place at a specific time and date.

A bunch of Be Our Guest dinner reservations opened for 11/2!
Thank you for posting this, I just scored a 6:25 for 11/4 which is our last MK day. I’ll have to wait to see the new menu and prices and see it it’s worth it for out family and then decide if I’ll keep it.

Thank you for posting this, I just scored a 6:25 for 11/4 which is our last MK day. I’ll have to wait to see the new menu and prices and see it it’s worth it for out family and then decide if I’ll keep it.

I got one too! I want to give it a try at the new menu and price point to see if it has improved. I haven't been all that impressed in the past.

No I didn't realize that people make multiple reservations for the same time and date. didn't know you could do that. I've only ever made 1 reservation for 1 place at a specific time and date.
Well, if you read a great many of these ADR threads, many double book reservations, and then wait to cancel till the 24-36 hour mark. I'm sure that adds to the un-availability problem. Some people just can't play by the rules, ever!

Trying to keep the info trail in line....now what is it that is being done illegally? All companies like Touring Plan are doing is informing you that a reservation opened up at a restaurant you want an ADR for. They aren't holding the ADRs en masse just making it easier for you to get a reservation w/o living on your computer.
Still boils down to the reality that if you are slow, you blow.

No. Touring Plans has been around for a long time and has offered this service for a long time, and they are a reputable blog. Not being shut down. It would only MAYBE be "illegal" if they were holding ADRs, but they aren't. As PP mentions, they are merely alerting you when one becomes available and its up to the person to pop on Disney app or web site to make the ADR. Often people are too late, even after receiving the alert.

I have personally read a copy of the C&D letter from Disney when they shut down a slew of these types of "reservation finder" sites a few years back. The issue was not about those places making money. The issue was that their "programs" or "bots" were illegally accessing Disney's system in order to be able to tell that an ADR was available. No one has access to do that. Why is TouringPlans still here? Because its free and no one has reported it yet. The other places were charging and people complained to Disney about it. That's what caught Disney's attention were the complaints. It's only a matter of time before the TP version is found out and will be shut down as well. It has nothing to do with charging or not. Its the illegal access.

Disney has shut down a couple of other sites in the past for this.

This. ^

I have personally read a copy of the C&D letter from Disney when they shut down a slew of these types of "reservation finder" sites a few years back. The issue was not about those places making money. The issue was that their "programs" or "bots" were illegally accessing Disney's system in order to be able to tell that an ADR was available. No one has access to do that. Why is TouringPlans still here? Because its free and no one has reported it yet. The other places were charging and people complained to Disney about it. That's what caught Disney's attention were the complaints. It's only a matter of time before the TP version is found out and will be shut down as well. It has nothing to do with charging or not. Its the illegal access.
Do you have a copy of the C+D letter? I'd love to read it.

The issue was that their "programs" or "bots" were illegally accessing Disney's system in order to be able to tell that an ADR was available. No one has access to do that.

Eh, it’s most likely not “illegal” access, but scraping the website. Relatively low tech, essentially automating pressing the Search button for reservations. Possibly against Disney’s TOS for the website, but nothing even approaching illegal.

It doesn’t take much know-how to knock together your own script to do the same thing, and it ought to work. Providing mass access to it would probably get your IP address blocked eventually, though, I would think.

Eh, it’s most likely not “illegal” access, but scraping the website. Relatively low tech, essentially automating pressing the Search button for reservations. Possibly against Disney’s TOS for the website, but nothing even approaching illegal.

It doesn’t take much know-how to knock together your own script to do the same thing, and it ought to work. Providing mass access to it would probably get your IP address blocked eventually, though, I would think.

Can't imagine that thus far, Disney really cares. If they ever did, it wouldn't take much more than a phone call to legal to put a stop to it.

Disney legal $$$$>TP legal .$

I’m eagerly awaiting the new menu. We have a July 27 reservation. I’m hopeful we won’t have to wait until then (that’s the day it switches) to get the new menu. I made the reservation before I even knew of the change (haha, that’s what I get for working too hard all winter and not reading this board!). I’m excited to be one of the very first to try it out but am apprehensive about the menu. My DD is the world’s pickiest eater, and if the menu changes too much (such as no longer offering mac & cheese or pommes frite), we might need to cross it off our “suitable restaurants” list. That or DD will need to expand her diet a bit, LOL. BOG is her favorite restaurant. If anything would convince her to expand her diet a bit, this would be it. Still, I’m eager awaiting the new menu.

I’m eagerly awaiting the new menu. We have a July 27 reservation. I’m hopeful we won’t have to wait until then (that’s the day it switches) to get the new menu. I made the reservation before I even knew of the change (haha, that’s what I get for working too hard all winter and not reading this board!). I’m excited to be one of the very first to try it out but am apprehensive about the menu. My DD is the world’s pickiest eater, and if the menu changes too much (such as no longer offering mac & cheese or pommes frite), we might need to cross it off our “suitable restaurants” list. That or DD will need to expand her diet a bit, LOL. BOG is her favorite restaurant. If anything would convince her to expand her diet a bit, this would be it. Still, I’m eager awaiting the new menu.
My dd15 is also a very picky eater and I’m vegan dd11 vegetarian so I’m waiting to see the new menu too.

I may have it saved by chance on an old computer. I will try to dig it up. It was quite a lengthy letter citing numerous reasons why this type of thing is illegal.

Yes, as stated in the C&D letter, ANY type of unauthorized access to their website is illegal on a number of levels. Will do my best to find a copy of that letter.

Here are copies of the first page showing the legal office info and a few excerpts from the 4 page letter (it was an 18 page enclosure total because it included the TOS). I have blacked out information that would name who the offending company was. There were a handful of these in operation during the time of this letter and all were shut down. I remember them all stating on Twitter that they received letters to C&D.

Can't imagine that thus far, Disney really cares. If they ever did, it wouldn't take much more than a phone call to legal to put a stop to it.

They just don't know about it yet. Some of the companies that were shut down were in business for a few years before Disney noticed. The TP res finder is still in beta stages as noted on their website. Eventually Disney will get wind of it and shut it down too.

upload_2018-5-25_23-53-39.png
upload_2018-5-25_23-53-54.png
upload_2018-5-25_23-54-7.png

@Disneyliscious

It is hard to decipher the entire meaning of the letter since substantial portions of it are not included but it's clear that this (and other companies) were in Disney's opinion, using Disney's website for unauthorized commercial use. It also seems that Disney had some sort of contract with the company, that could well go beyond the one we agree to as guests of the hotel and/or parks, and users of it's software.

It's difficult to say with certainty that sites like Touring Plan are violating this particular letter simply because all the terms of violation aren't listed; we don't know if Disney has a contract with them and if so, what it says, or if TP has in fact, permission, and finally they are not charging for the service.

I have a hard time believing that Disney is not aware of TP's activities since there is hardly any Disney fan forum that doesn't mention them but time will tell:).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter