Large Family Group with Stroller as Wheelchair

hiddenj

Mouseketeer
We will be traveling with a large group and will be using a stroller as a wheelchair for our 7 year old with SPD, ADHD, and anxiety. We may have my cousin's 5 year old with us as well. Do you have any good resources for explaining to the 5 year old why his cousin gets to have a stroller in line but he doesn't?

Also, I'll need to rent a special needs stroller and I'm a little concerned that I won't be able to see over it to push it. I'm 5'3". I was trying to get away with a regular stroller but she's already 49" and the trip in in October. What have your experiences been?

Do the 2 kids spend much time together? If they do, the younger may be familiar with some of the older child's needs. If they don't get to see each other much, I'd enlist the help of the younger boy's parents; there may be a child he knows (school, neighborhood, etc.) who has similar needs. A 5-yr-old may be in kindergarten, and there's hardly a school today that doesn't have a child with special needs in each grade. You/they can say something like "Susie is like Johnny. You know how Johnny gets very upset sometimes at school? We don't want Susie to get so upset on vacation and the stroller helps her. You are a big boy and I'm sure you want to walk. There are some fun things to look at in the lines."

What stroller are you planning to rent? You should be able to find dimensions. My DD is not quite 5' yet, and she will push her dolls or stuffed animals in her Maclaren Major with no trouble seeing where she is going. And I'm pretty sure my sister who is 5'2" has pushed DD in it with no difficulties. Another option might be a pediatric wheelchair instead of the stroller?

Enjoy your vacation!

They do not spend much time together. They've only met 3 or 4 times. Both kids go to private school. I can tell you that in DD's school there are a lot of kids similar to her, so she doesn't necessarily notice that she's different. The 5 year old goes to an elite school, so I'm not sure what he has in his school. I had a thought of sending them the children's book we have about SPD to see if that helps.

I think it was the Liberty that had the height warning on it. I'll look to see if I can find a Maclaren Major to rent instead. Thanks! We need a canopy, so I don't think the wheelchair will be sufficient.

I have read that the Liberty is no longer available, but i’m Not sure if that was just one vendor or all. Orlando Medical Rentals appears to have several options for special needs strollers. You might check what they have if you are concerned about the height.

Enjoy your vacation!

Do the 2 kids spend much time together? If they do, the younger may be familiar with some of the older child's needs. If they don't get to see each other much, I'd enlist the help of the younger boy's parents; there may be a child he knows (school, neighborhood, etc.) who has similar needs. A 5-yr-old may be in kindergarten, and there's hardly a school today that doesn't have a child with special needs in each grade. You/they can say something like "Susie is like Johnny. You know how Johnny gets very upset sometimes at school? We don't want Susie to get so upset on vacation and the stroller helps her. You are a big boy and I'm sure you want to walk. There are some fun things to look at in the lines."

What stroller are you planning to rent? You should be able to find dimensions. My DD is not quite 5' yet, and she will push her dolls or stuffed animals in her Maclaren Major with no trouble seeing where she is going. And I'm pretty sure my sister who is 5'2" has pushed DD in it with no difficulties. Another option might be a pediatric wheelchair instead of the stroller?

Enjoy your vacation!
I'm not much more than 5 feet tall, and I never had any problems seeing over the Maclaren Major when we used of for my daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter