• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kid's Programs...DCL vs. RCCL???

AmyM

<font color=blue>Things sometimes get better the s
We have friends that are saving a considerable amount cruising on RCCL vs. DCL. Cost is a true factor. I have told them how wonderful DCL's children's programming is. Can anyone tell me what RCCL is like on their new big ships for a 10 year old girl and 9 year old boy? I would like to be able to tell them that they will have a good cruise. Anyone have any comparisons or input on RCCL vs. DCL?

AmyM,

lets look at it in a real way.... who knows how to keep kids happy? A. a cruise line that has only cruise ships. or B. a cruise line that started off with kid themed theme parks? my last cruise we had a family that went on RCCL and they didnt like the kids program. they had DS9 and DD11 and they got bored with RCCL. they did have a blast on DCL on the other hand. so i guess i would have to say the extra money is worth it. and the kids programs run from 9 am to 1 am. or 7 am to 1 am when at a port on 7 day cruises. i hope this helps

Amy,

I live here on the West Coast and I can tell you about the RCCL here.

My kids did not like it at all. (We've been to DCL twice). The kids program was set for specific hours. They did not do nearly close to the activities that Disney can do. No video games, except for the paid arcade. (I have boys). The kid counslers on DCL were just doing a job. They looked like they were really not into it or having fun. Totally different on Disney. My kids felt like these counslers were their friends.

I think if your kids have never been to a DCL cruise, it's okay. Once you have traveled DCL, it's hard not to compare. DCL has games for adults to participate with their children . They had games for just adults and games for just children. They had it all.

We wanted to save on airfare and stay here on the West Coast and cruise, but after going on RCCL we realized we are all hooked on Disney. Now we're waiting for them to have a cruise line here in California.

Deb

KYCruiseCrazy,

I totally agree with you! My kids are hooked on DCL and would not want to change. We are going to do our first 7-night in January. We have only done 3 & 4-night so far.

Anyone else??? Will our friends be completely disappointed?

Sorry, I mean the kids counslers on RCCL did not enjoy their job. Whoops!

Deb

While our DS was in flounder on our last DCL Cruise, he enjoyed the club on RCCL's Explorer when he was 3. Though he was hesitant at first, I found the cousellors very friendly and patient, none seem to not be happy with their job.

Our tablemates had kids 5 and 7 who had a blast in the clubs. We asked them if they considered a Disney cruise, and they had ... a 7 night western RCCL was less money than a 4 night DCL cruise. That was the deciding factor. Without prior experience regarding cruises it was an easy decision.

We truly had a wonderful time and would to again. Being a DVC member makes the DCL cruise an bit easier (already had RCCL booked when joining DVC).

I believe your friends will come off the RCCL trip with a wonderful family experience. If it RCCL or nothing, of course, take RCCL and don't consider yourself short-changed by any means! Cruising is a great way to travel and they can't go wrong with either decision.

We did RCCL this past July to Alaska. Our DD (10) says she prefers DCL to RCCL, but not by as great a margin as I expected. Cons to RCCL: hours are limited, with very little, if anything, to do in the kid's clubs between 4-8 in the evening. After 10 pm, there is a $5 per hour charge. There aren't very many unstructured free play items on board (there is the arcade, which is just outside the club). I felt the counselors were enthusiastic about there job, there just weren't very many of them--there were 112 kids under 13 on board, and 8 counselors total. DD and other girls her age group had a problem with a boy in the group who would deliberately hit the girls with a ball during free time--I asked the counselors to keep an eye on the situation, but she continued to be hit until the 6th night, when she and all the other girls ganged up on him and "retaliated".
PROS: because of the small # of kids, DD found it easier to make friends than on DCL (I don't think this would be a factor on caribbean cruises tho). I have read on cruisecritic that RCCL sometimes closes the kids programs because they have too many kids, not enough counselors. DD enjoyed the rewards program where you get credits for attending kids programs and can redeem the credits for prizes like bookbags, caps, t-shirts, etc.

Have sailed DCL 3x's and RCI once, just in June. My DD8 actually preferred RCI. AS for the kids the RCI programs are fun, one night they dressed as pirates and took over the ship, it was really cute. But what she enjoyed most was the other activities on the ship. We sailed the Navigator of the Seas and it has the ice skating, in line skating and rock climbing wall. THose were the 3 activities that made her cruise. At 10 and 9, your friends may want to take into account the other activities as well.

As the parent, I prefer DCL hands down, didn't like the limited hours and limited staff. Also at her age, they did not provide pagers, so we kept checking on her.

It's a toss up, but with the price difference sometimes you have to give other cruise lines a try. And I would actually sail RCI again as well, it's not Disney, but it is still a cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter