Keto Way of Life

2China2009

Mouseketeer
i am currently educating myself about the Keto lifestyle. I have had some friends that are doing it and have been very happy with the results. I need to loose about 50lbs this year. Any suggestions on getting started and staying committed. I know if I could get through the first month I would be ok. I also got an Insta Pot for xmas and am hoping to use this for quicker meal planning.

i am currently educating myself about the Keto lifestyle. I have had some friends that are doing it and have been very happy with the results. I need to loose about 50lbs this year. Any suggestions on getting started and staying committed. I know if I could get through the first month I would be ok. I also got an Insta Pot for xmas and am hoping to use this for quicker meal planning.
I just started a low carb, lean protein, lots of veggies, low glycemic index diet this week - more South Beach vs Keto. So far the best thing I've done is put my fitness pal on my phone; set goals for daily carbs, protein and fat; and log in EVERYTHING I eat or drink.

I'd love to get some new recipes and snack ideas though. Good luck to us!!!!

I'm starting this tomorrow. Had my last hurrah of rice with dinner tonight lol. I hard boiled some eggs to eat for breakfast for the week & tomorrow night, I plan to cook some bacon to keep handy with breakfast. I made a salad for lunch for tomorrow with grilled chicken, arugula, avocado, peppers, cucumbers, & lime vinaigrette dressing. I'm making Trader Joe's carne asada and mashed cauliflower for dinner. I also bought some unsweetened almond milk to put in my coffee.

My biggest questions are related to the veggies-not sure how much salad vegetables are too much?

The hardest part of doing any high protein/low carb diet is that "snacks" (or meals) aren't readily available. I found I'm so used to just grabbing a handful of chips, making a bagel/piece of toast, or pouring a bowl of cereal when I need a snack/quick meal, and you can't make "quick" snacks if you have to cook a protein. Make sure you plan ahead and have plenty of hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, sliced meat, etc., on hand for these "need it now" occasions.

For us keto also became expensive. I found myself buying food for DH and I and then separate food for the kids, which led to cooking two meals at meal times.

Snacks: hardboiled eggs, cheese, lunch meat, beef jerky (on the go snack available most places).

It will take advance planning and about a week for your body to accumulate. One thing that I recalled was keto breath, not very appealing.

Good luck.

I followed a ketogenic diet from January-July of 2016, before my wedding, and lost 60 lbs. It definitely works if you are strict with it, but cheating on it at all only hurts yourself. Kicking yourself out of ketosis only stalls weight loss and you will potentially experience the "keto flu" symptoms every time.

The diet I followed is the Ideal Protein protocol. Very similar to Atkins, South Beach, etc. where you are in a state of ketosis, but it's not full on ketogenic because it does not promote high fat. It also watches calories, which keto does not. Even though I had success following Ideal Protein, it became cost prohibitive so I now I am following more of a keto diet which certainly allows for more food options. But I am finding the weight is coming off more slowly. Still trying to find a good balance that I can maintain while shedding additional weight.

My biggest questions are related to the veggies-not sure how much salad vegetables are too much?

Unless you have a medical issue, or you're going to incredibly far extremes, there's no such thing as too many veggies. Eat all you want, whenever you want.

OP, there's really no magic to it. Personally, I'd suggest avoiding "fad" type diets...Keto, Atkins, South Beach, East Jibip, Philly cheesesteak diet, etc... There are plenty of online resources available to come up with a really good nutrition plan. It's a balance of proper proteins, healthy fats and yes, some carbs. Lean cuts of meat, greek yogurt, nuts, avocado, sweet potatoes, veggies, fruits, etc...you don't need to get exotic or fancy. If you have a solid foundation of that, then that's really all you need. Calories in vs. calories out. Make sure they're the right calories. I'd suggest using a tracker at first, to help you really understand what you're putting into your body...and be sure to log EVERYTHING. Once you get the hang of it and get a proper balance of nutrition, it becomes pretty easy. Again, medical issues/allergies aside, no food would be 100% off limit if you've got the right balance overall.

As for staying committed, also no magic tricks here. It sounds harsh, but you either are or aren't committed. Do it or don't do it. It's very hard to make that lifestyle change, especially if your current nutrition is not healthy. But if you want to do it, then as Nike once said "Just do it". Be vigilant with it and before you know it, it's now your new normal.

Good luck!

OP, there's really no magic to it. Personally, I'd suggest avoiding "fad" type diets...Keto, Atkins, South Beach, East Jibip, Philly cheesesteak diet, etc... There are plenty of online resources available to come up with a really good nutrition plan. It's a balance of proper proteins, healthy fats and yes, some carbs. Lean cuts of meat, greek yogurt, nuts, avocado, sweet potatoes, veggies, fruits, etc...you don't need to get exotic or fancy. If you have a solid foundation of that, then that's really all you need. Calories in vs. calories out. Make sure they're the right calories. I'd suggest using a tracker at first, to help you really understand what you're putting into your body...and be sure to log EVERYTHING. Once you get the hang of it and get a proper balance of nutrition, it becomes pretty easy. Again, medical issues/allergies aside, no food would be 100% off limit if you've got the right balance overall.

You are absolutely right but, respectfully, those of us that lack the knowledge and time to scour the internet unfortunately don't do well with eating balanced meals resulting in weight loss. For me, the "fad" diet is the only thing that has worked to get the initial weight off. The Keto diet is a way of eating and maintainable after the initial weight is lost. The science behind weight loss is calories in/calories out, but the state of ketosis where you're burning fat for fuel works as well. Finding something that works for an individual that they can stick with and be loyal to is most important. Not everyone wants to write down all their food and not everyone wants to avoid carbs.

Unless you have a medical issue, or you're going to incredibly far extremes, there's no such thing as too many veggies. Eat all you want, whenever you want.

As for staying committed, also no magic tricks here. It sounds harsh, but you either are or aren't committed. Do it or don't do it. It's very hard to make that lifestyle change, especially if your current nutrition is not healthy. But if you want to do it, then as Nike once said "Just do it". Be vigilant with it and before you know it, it's now your new normal.

Good luck!

The Philly Cheese steak Diet????
I've honestly tried everything since having my second baby and have had no success: Counting calories, Counting fat, counting carbs, Weight Watchers, using a tracker (Fitness Pal), stopping stressing all together & just making good choices, etc... I stick to it for a month or two-very vigilant, experience minimal weight loss, and then give up & fall off the wagon. It's been a constant cycle since after my last pregnancy. Regular exercise (aside from chasing my kids around & cleaning the house!) has been a struggle due to my earlier start to my work day (it's still dark when I leave the house), working lunch "breaks," and by the time I get out of work, I need to rush home to make dinner. Saturday are kids' religious classes, errands/cleaning the house, & by the time Sunday rolls around, I'm completely exhausted.

The only thing that has ever worked for me was the South Beach Diet. I lost over 80 pounds & kept it off for 4 years.....until I got pregnant. Carbs are definitely something I have a hard time controlling & I think going low carb agrees with my body. I remember on South Beach Diet, after the initial 2 weeks, I stopped craving carbs. I'm hoping to do the same now. The thing that is difficult to do South Beach now is the 5 meals per day, which was easy when I was younger, but near impossible to do in my current job. I think I just need to focus on getting rid of those carbs. I love protein & that is what I tend to gravitate toward for snacks.

I combine my ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting. I found a YouTube video with Dr. Jason Fung giving a lecture on fasting. I started my keto lifestyle with a 72 hour fast. During the fast, I began researching the diet. There are lots of wonderful YouTube videos out there for education and motivation. One channel that is particularly helpful in fully understanding the science behind the diet is Low Carb Down Under. There are lots of videos of Drs doing lectures and explaining everything very well, with lots of studies to back it up. If you have the time, I believe fully understanding how our bodies work when fueled by fat vs. carbs is the best motivation.

I started keto on September 20, 2017 and have lost 37 lbs. As Aristocatz said, after a few weeks, you no longer crave carbs/sugar and the diet is very easy to follow after that.

I combine my ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting. I found a YouTube video with Dr. Jason Fung giving a lecture on fasting. I started my keto lifestyle with a 72 hour fast. During the fast, I began researching the diet. There are lots of wonderful YouTube videos out there for education and motivation. One channel that is particularly helpful in fully understanding the science behind the diet is Low Carb Down Under. There are lots of videos of Drs doing lectures and explaining everything very well, with lots of studies to back it up. If you have the time, I believe fully understanding how our bodies work when fueled by fat vs. carbs is the best motivation.

I started keto on September 20, 2017 and have lost 37 lbs. As Aristocatz said, after a few weeks, you no longer crave carbs/sugar and the diet is very easy to follow after that.

Thank you! I will check those out. Day 1 is in the books & I'm feeling motivated!
Are there any very active message boards for the keto diet that you know of? When I was on South Beach Diet, I joined a very active SBD message board that was a godsend to me for support.

I wanted to thank everyone for their great idea's. I agree you are either in or out. I choose now to be in b/c I look and feel terrible. I agree the key to success is being organized and planning ahead. I like the suggestions to have hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks etc for snacks if needed. I am going to the library on wed to check out a few books for education. The more knowledge the more power. This might sound odd, but I am scared to death to start. I have eaten so crappy over the last few years it is so easy to say to myself I will have tomorrow to do better. Well those days are soon to be in the past. Getting the courage to start to change your life is not easy, but I now do not want any pics of me with my double chin and look horrible in pics. I want more for myself and I always want my kids to look at me as a healthier mom and not to get heavier.

There is a Facebook group called Ditch the Carbs. Has lots of info, charts, recipes & such. For the question about vegetables, above ground veggies are lower carb/starchy than root veggies if that helps.

I wanted to thank everyone for their great idea's. I agree you are either in or out. I choose now to be in b/c I look and feel terrible. I agree the key to success is being organized and planning ahead. I like the suggestions to have hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks etc for snacks if needed. I am going to the library on wed to check out a few books for education. The more knowledge the more power. This might sound odd, but I am scared to death to start. I have eaten so crappy over the last few years it is so easy to say to myself I will have tomorrow to do better. Well those days are soon to be in the past. Getting the courage to start to change your life is not easy, but I now do not want any pics of me with my double chin and look horrible in pics. I want more for myself and I always want my kids to look at me as a healthier mom and not to get heavier.

Don't be scared, be proud. You're taking steps to make yourself healthier, and that's a wonderful thing. Remember, you didn't get out of shape overnight, so don't expect to get in shape overnight. One day at a time. 1lb will turn into 2lbs, which will turn into 5lbs and so on.

Again, just my own $.02, but I don't buy into a lot of the specific (I call them fads, but I realize that can sound condescending) diets here. To me, it's nonsense. Fasting is also not a good idea, at all. If you're trying to lose weight, putting your body into starvation mode...which is what fasting will do...will work in the very short term, but will actually hinder you long term. Slow and steady. You don't need to do a ton of research, but certainly you do need to read up on good basic nutrition. As I said before, a proper mix of lean proteins, healthy fats and carbs are key. Yes, you need fats and carbs. Certainly not in large amounts, but in the right amounts. You do need to realize and get a hold of what you eat and drink every day. I strongly suggest a daily log, at least until you get a handle on things. You won't need to do it forever, just until you get on track and it becomes second nature to you. DW and I haven't used a food log in many years, because we have a very good grip on what we're doing. I'm in the best shape of my life, and I'm in my mid-40s. I'm very lean, lots of muscle. DW is just about body building competition ready (click on my profile picture and you'll see a bit of her, and get the idea). She doesn't do any keto diet, South Beach, Atkins, etc...just common sense. Her nutrition is mostly...Egg whites, protein powder, rice cakes, peanut butter, salad mix, tilapia, boneless skinless chicken. There are a few other small things thrown in there, but that's about 95% of her nutrition. Proteins, fats, carbs, in the right amounts in the right portion sizes. And don't worry, a lot of women don't want to be as muscular as she is...and you won't be unless you lift weights as hard as she does. On that note, exercise is just as important to weight loss as nutrition. Do not rely on cardio alone. Resistance/weight training is important too. If you don't want huge muscles, then don't use heavy weights...but still do weight training.

Best of luck!!!!

Don't be scared, be proud. You're taking steps to make yourself healthier, and that's a wonderful thing. Remember, you didn't get out of shape overnight, so don't expect to get in shape overnight. One day at a time. 1lb will turn into 2lbs, which will turn into 5lbs and so on.

Again, just my own $.02, but I don't buy into a lot of the specific (I call them fads, but I realize that can sound condescending) diets here. To me, it's nonsense. Fasting is also not a good idea, at all. If you're trying to lose weight, putting your body into starvation mode...which is what fasting will do...will work in the very short term, but will actually hinder you long term. Slow and steady. You don't need to do a ton of research, but certainly you do need to read up on good basic nutrition. As I said before, a proper mix of lean proteins, healthy fats and carbs are key. Yes, you need fats and carbs. Certainly not in large amounts, but in the right amounts. You do need to realize and get a hold of what you eat and drink every day. I strongly suggest a daily log, at least until you get a handle on things. You won't need to do it forever, just until you get on track and it becomes second nature to you. DW and I haven't used a food log in many years, because we have a very good grip on what we're doing. I'm in the best shape of my life, and I'm in my mid-40s. I'm very lean, lots of muscle. DW is just about body building competition ready (click on my profile picture and you'll see a bit of her, and get the idea). She doesn't do any keto diet, South Beach, Atkins, etc...just common sense. Her nutrition is mostly...Egg whites, protein powder, rice cakes, peanut butter, salad mix, tilapia, boneless skinless chicken. There are a few other small things thrown in there, but that's about 95% of her nutrition. Proteins, fats, carbs, in the right amounts in the right portion sizes. And don't worry, a lot of women don't want to be as muscular as she is...and you won't be unless you lift weights as hard as she does. On that note, exercise is just as important to weight loss as nutrition. Do not rely on cardio alone. Resistance/weight training is important too. If you don't want huge muscles, then don't use heavy weights...but still do weight training.

Best of luck!!!!
I truly believe there is more than one way to skin a cat. Folks need to find a way to eat healthy in ways they can live with. Some people (not me) dislike fruit and vegetables. Some have serious carb addictions and are better off staying away from them. It’s great you and your wife have found what works for you. I hate protein shakes, smoothies, rice cakes, protein bars, yet love chicken, egg whites, tilapia and salad. It’s great that there are so many different options! I like playing around with different plans, and usually modify them. I’ve tried some that don’t allow dairy or beans, but I love cheese (and don’t eat a lot of it) and beans (lentil soup, hummus, edamame, plain chick peas), so I can’t be compliant.

Many have success on keto diets, I can’t give up all carbs, so not for me.

I truly believe there is more than one way to skin a cat. Folks need to find a way to eat healthy in ways they can live with. Some people (not me) dislike fruit and vegetables. Some have serious carb addictions and are better off staying away from them. It’s great you and your wife have found what works for you. I hate protein shakes, smoothies, rice cakes, protein bars, yet love chicken, egg whites, tilapia and salad. It’s great that there are so many different options! I like playing around with different plans, and usually modify them. I’ve tried some that don’t allow dairy or beans, but I love cheese (and don’t eat a lot of it) and beans (lentil soup, hummus, edamame, plain chick peas), so I can’t be compliant.

Many have success on keto diets, I can’t give up all carbs, so not for me.

I wholeheartedly agree with that, and I didn't mean to make my prior post sound like there isn't more than one way and that the foods DW and I eat are the only way. Not in the least. That's why I mentioned several times about the right balance of proteins/fats/carbs, you can use any kind of food that you like and fits into a proper balance to accomplish that. What I was trying to say, maybe not well, is that IMO you don't need to follow these trendy diets that pop up...South Beach, Atkins, etc...or do anything extreme. Just have a solid nutrition foundation, with a good macro balance.

Totally agree with you on the different options. I hate tilapia for example...nasty, nasty stuff...I don't really like any seafood, also not really a rice cake fan. I don't like greek yogurt either, but force it down every day for breakfast. There are endless ways to skin the cat, with options to suit every taste. You're spot on.

Last edited:
You have to find what will works for you, what feels best in regards to your personal lifestyle, and most important definitely have your doctor monitor.

Keto with exercise for me made everything under the hood awful: total cholesterol jumped to 303, multiple uti's, heart palpitations, vitamin D deficiency,, insomnia. Weight wise I was awesome, yet I felt sick all the time. So not worth it for me. Stinks too because there's a lot who do have success on it.

I went Flexitarian with exercise and although weight is no longer in the awesome category, everything under the hood is beautiful: total cholesterol down to 208, no more uti's, heart palpitations gone, vitamin D deficiency gone, no more insomnia. I feel good.

I wholeheartedly agree with that, and I didn't mean to make my prior post sound like there isn't more than one way and that the foods DW and I eat are the only way. Not in the least. That's why I mentioned several times about the right balance of proteins/fats/carbs, you can use any kind of food that you like and fits into a proper balance to accomplish that. What I was trying to say, maybe not well, is that IMO you don't need to follow these trendy diets that pop up...South Beach, Atkins, etc...or do anything extreme. Just have a solid nutrition foundation, with a good macro balance.

Totally agree with you on the different options. I hate tilapia for example...nasty, nasty stuff...I don't really like any seafood, also not really a rice cake fan. I don't like greek yogurt either, but force it down every day for breakfast. There are endless ways to skin the cat, with options to suit every taste. You're spot on.
Not all “fad diets” are extreme though, some are just healthy eating plans with a title in order for someone to profit. Here’s a review on South Beach:
https://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/south-beach-diet-what-it-is

I'm doing Whole30 (this is my third time, but the two times before were in 2016), which while different from Keto, is similar in that it is quite strict. Some of the recipe sites I visit, like nomnom paleo, have a lot of keto friendly recipes. Make your hard boiled eggs in your instant pot. It takes the same amount of time, but they are super easy to peel, even if you use fresh eggs. (Directions on nomnom paleo and really all over the internet. You use a steamer in the instant pot, and somehow that keeps the whites from sticking to the shells).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter