• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

kennels

TLS4Mickey

Mouseketeer
We are planning a short trip at the end of November. We are spending Thanksgiving until that Sunday with my Dad in Melbourne. Then we plan on going to Disney for about 3 days. I don't have anyone to watch the dog, this trip, but my Dad said that we could bring him. I think we are just going to stay with my Dad, when we're at Disney and just do the hour drive everyday, since none of the hotels on property allow pets. But I was wondering about the kennel facilities, at Disney. I have found a little info on them, but is there any pictures anywhere? If I call Disney, can they send a brochure dedicated to the kennels? Weather or not anyone agrees with this, my dog is an important part of our family and I really would like more info on the kennels he'll will be staying in while we are at the parks. Thanks!

I'm not real pleased with the kennels. They don't walk your dog, you have to come do that. You supply the food and you can't leave them overnight. Last time I checked it was $11 a day. For WHAT?????? If you don't want to leave your dog at your Dad's house and are willing to take a break a few times during the day it's ok I guess. At least you know he'll be happy and not chewing up the furniture.

All of the Universal hotels allow dogs if that is an option. You can also find off site accomadations at www.dogfriendly.com

The kennels will not walk your dog and recommend that you do it yourself. You are requested to come by at least 3 times a day. There are day kennels at all the parks and an overnight kennel at WL. I have gotten mixed answers as to whether the parks kennels are overnights.

You should bring your dogs meals, seperated by meal so the staff does not feed him something he won't eat, or too much/little.

I think the cost is $11 a day but I could be wrong.

Here is some more info:

http://allearsnet.com/btp/aa082503.htm

How do you plan to get to WDW? Will your dog have to fly?

You might also want to do a web search for kennels in Orlando. You might be able to find a better one offsite.

You might find something better for the same money in the Melbourne area. Especially if you have to leave the park you are at to go walk the dog.

MIL was also thinking of leaving her dog Bear near her Melbourne home Oct 2-8. However with Jeanne coming through she's not sure if the kennel will be left standing!

I have used the Kennel at EPCOT several times, and unless they have changed something, you can do OVERNIGHTS! It does cut into your Park time to go several times to walk your dog, especially if you are doing a "commando" tour. But when I took Cody and was on a more relaxed vacation, I really enjoyed walking him and visiting him while there. The Kennel employees were very nice and attentive to him even though they weren't allowed to walk him. I personally loved having my dog on the trip with me, and the Disney kennel is much cheaper than my home kennel. (There's a discount if you are staying onsite.) If you are just bringing him during the day, you could just put him at the kennel at the Park you are visiting.

I'm at work - and not at home, so prices may be inaccurate, but the information itself is, I'm almost positive, correct.

The kennels charge $9 per day. If you'd like to include an overnight stay it is $11.

The only part I'm not certain about is food. I believe the kennels WILL provide food, however, for the dog's well-being, they prefer if you bring whatever your dog eats at home.

You are required (not requested, but required) to walk your dog twice per day. The ONLY kennel that will walk your dog for you is the one at Epcot, and that will cost you $2.50 per walk.

The Disney kennels really are provided as a convenience for the owner, and not for the well being of the animal.

If you care about your dog (as I'm sure you do - I have two of my own, and they are my family! :) ) you'll find a different kennel or someone to dog-sit.

Someone on the boards left a puppy in the Disney kennels and the stress on the animal was fatal.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am worried about stress on the dog. My Dad said that when nobody is home I can leave him in the garage. I think that is my best choice. I will take his bed, toys, etc. to make it as comfortable as I can. We will be driving, so I will be able to take alot of familiar things. Are the kennels, at Disney, cages or are they large enough to move around? I probably won't use it anyhow, I'll leave him at my Dads.

I leave my dog in the kennel at EPCOT and have had no problems at all! I pay the extra money and have them walk her. They do not have runs there like they do at other kennels, but I have a little dog, and she doesn't mind being in a smaller cage. You can bring your own food, or they do feed them. Just be careful about leaving your dog in the garage at your Dad's house, I know you are going in November, but it can still be reall warm during that time here in Florida and I know my garage gets really really hot! The one downside to the Disney kennels, is that they do not take reservations and during Thanksgiving, it gets really busy. Good luck to you, and if you have any questions about the kennels, let me know, I've also used the MK kennel without a problem.

They have different size cages, and put your pet in the appropriate size. I have a large dog, and if they're not busy, they keep him inside at night, but will move him outside to a larger area during the day. He likes to people watch and smell the fresh air!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter