Just off Fantasy 7 day western Caribbean

Setsail71

Earning My Ears
Some good, some not so good.

-
1. Overall, I enjoyed the trip enough and we had perfect weather. I love the open sea and spent a lot of time on our balcony and of course Disney service is top. We had done 3, 3-day Bahamian cruises so this was our first 7 day. It will, however be our last cruise. In general, we have outgrown Disney and cruising now that our kid is older. I also realize that if your family isn’t having a ball, it is hard to enjoy a trip.

2. My husband did not enjoy really anything, but that is his problem in many ways, not Disney’s. He was tolerant of the people, the waiting, the boredom for a couple days, but by day 4 he got a bit more intolerant and snippy. He didn’t like the food and I will agree that the food generally lacked any flavor and we could not get meat cooked rare. Or eggs that were not over cooked. He didn’t find many activities fun, so he was bored and spent a lot of time reading. The port excursions were disappointing, as explained more below. Anyways, much of it is just him. Our prior 3 day cruises were more fast pace and more his speed. 7 days was too long.

2. The snorkeling port excursions were all disappointing. A lot of waiting and extremely overcrowded catamarans. We could hardly move on the boats, and way too many people snorkeling. In Cozumel we only got to snorkel for a total of 35 minutes over 3 stops on a 4 hour excursion. Yep. Caymans was better as far as time in the water, but the crowding was unreal and we could barely move on the boat. Castaway was good.

3. We did Remy for the first time. It would have been nice to see the ocean while we there, but we were placed in the back and they wouldn’t move us. I have heard so much about Remy, but it didn’t compare to the many excellent French restaurants I have been to. Lots of sauces, but little flavor. The cooking was inconsistent too, I had one lobster tail that was essentially raw, the other one fine. My scallop was way over cooked and rubbery with almost raw potatoes. Chicken was just chicken. The wagyu my husband had was cooked well, finally, and a good cut of meat. But no marbling as tenderloin is too lean. The tooth fish was good. Excellent desserts! I would do a dessert experience, but the dinner was a let down. We didn’t complain or send anything back.

4. The bars were good and we spent some time on McGills. We did tequila tasting like we did on prior cruises and it was just ok. Of course we are lots of ice cream. We were never able to get an early seating so I had to stay up until 230 every day because of my GERD. Made for tiring days and I needed a nap after each excursion, so I missed almost every show offering.

5. A lot of changes since our last pre COVID cruise. The pools were opened late and closed early, so no more watching a movie late into the night in the pool. Couldn’t use the pools during at sea days as they were packed. So was the adult area. No evening cabana meals so we were stuck eating at the same time every night.

6. Our 13 almost 14 year old didn’t enjoy Vibe. She is kind of at that age were she was too old for Edge and the teenagers were a bit much at Vibe. Lots of teenagers looking for hookups, and she got hit on by too many 16 year olds that made her very uncomfortable. So, she spent every evening with us, and that meant we could not do any adult activities. She hung out in the room when we went to Remy. Lots of family time, but no adult time.

Yes, lots of complaining. Sorry, it is how I feel. Partly because my family didn’t enjoy much. Some of it was just our evolution as a family. The boat was packed, every inch of it, only escape was our room.

Thank you for your review it's very insightful and raises some points I'm concerned of myself. Never cruised before and trying to book our first cruise on Monday... How did you find castaway key?

My daughter and I enjoyed it. They ran out of snorkel gear which was infuriating. But, as people returned gear after lunch they sanitized it for us. Worked out better because the morning was too crowded out in the water. Food was not bad, same as last time. We didn’t get to serenity, which I did get to do last time. Water was amazing and we saw lots of fish. My husband, done with Disney, sat and read a book all day.

Be aware that there a lot of people in the water and Disney puts out ropes so you can’t go out far. If you are looking for peace and quiet you will not get it unless you are concierge and you got a cabana. They have their own section without ropes and it looked nice from afar. There is also a fun slide with a long line.

My daughter and I enjoyed it. They ran out of snorkel gear which was infuriating. But, as people returned gear after lunch they sanitized it for us. Worked out better because the morning was too crowded out in the water. Food was not bad, same as last time. We didn’t get to serenity, which I did get to do last time. Water was amazing and we saw lots of fish. My husband, done with Disney, sat and read a book all day.

Be aware that there a lot of people in the water and Disney puts out ropes so you can’t go out far. If you are looking for peace and quiet you will not get it unless you are concierge and you got a cabana. They have their own section without ropes and it looked nice from afar. There is also a fun slide with a long line.
I recommend going to beaches and bringing your own snorkeling gear. If we do excursions we find our own. We’ve never been on a really great excursion that we purchased through a cruise line. Yes, cruise line excursions are always too crowded and entail a lot of waiting around.
Edit add: cruise line excursions tend to be a rip off too. You can usually find less expensive/better use of time with other excursions

Kids clubs on other lines are very good. Try other lines.

Cruises are for reading and looking at the ocean IMO! We don’t do a lot of activities because they are cheesy and summer camp type stuff. Disney shows are one and done for us except golden mickeys which my husband has a weird fascination with lol

My husband is also an incredibly difficult person and I can tell you Disney is his least favorite cruise line.

The dining situation on Disney is crap. You would love any time dining and near 24 hour buffets which most other lines have. And better food!!

I hear you! All of your criticism are on point btw.

We thought about our own port excursions, but I am afraid of missing the boat!

My husband will never get on a cruise again. He is by nature a sourpuss (but I still love him) so we will do things differently going forward.

On the bright side, he bought be something amazing at Bulgari!

Thank you for your review it's very insightful and raises some points I'm concerned of myself. Never cruised before and trying to book our first cruise on Monday... How did you find castaway key?
Castaway cay is beautiful. But all cruise line private islands in the Bahamas are beautiful. And sometimes Disney doesn’t dock, so I wouldn’t go Disney just for castaway. It seems to happen more with them than other lines. Something about the location of CC.

We thought about our own port excursions, but I am afraid of missing the boat!

My husband will never get on a cruise again. He is by nature a sourpuss (but I still love him) so we will do things differently going forward.

On the bright side, he bought be something amazing at Bulgari!
If you show him some of the other lines (new ships only! Princess, celebrity, Holland etc) on utube he might change his mind— over time. Also, if you ever do get back on a ship do an eastern Caribbean. A true Eastern that goes to Virgin Islands. Or even southern that goes to ABC islands.

That’s awful for your daughter and the hook up atmosphere 😳

Is there only one slide at castaway? I thought there was a mini waterpark

Thank you for your report! It's a shame that you did not have a truly wonderful vacation.

I am really glad that you posted about it though. I am sure there are other people who might feel similar and often the DISboards can make you feel that something is wrong with you if you don't come back having had an amazing vacation, while in reality, not every cruise is for everyone and some people are more annoyed by certain things than others, so honest reviews like yours are always really helpful!

It truly is an individual thing. I met so many people that had a WONDERFUL time. You have to know your family and sometimes you just have to learn. I would not say the cruise was a mistake, for me anyways. My kid had fun. I know my husband would have rather stayed home, but he agreed to go. He is also a generous and giving man who goes out of his way to make us happy-so he was there for us. And we appreciate him for it.

Some good, some not so good.

-
1. Overall, I enjoyed the trip enough and we had perfect weather. I love the open sea and spent a lot of time on our balcony and of course Disney service is top. We had done 3, 3-day Bahamian cruises so this was our first 7 day. It will, however be our last cruise. In general, we have outgrown Disney and cruising now that our kid is older. I also realize that if your family isn’t having a ball, it is hard to enjoy a trip.

2. My husband did not enjoy really anything, but that is his problem in many ways, not Disney’s. He was tolerant of the people, the waiting, the boredom for a couple days, but by day 4 he got a bit more intolerant and snippy. He didn’t like the food and I will agree that the food generally lacked any flavor and we could not get meat cooked rare. Or eggs that were not over cooked. He didn’t find many activities fun, so he was bored and spent a lot of time reading. The port excursions were disappointing, as explained more below. Anyways, much of it is just him. Our prior 3 day cruises were more fast pace and more his speed. 7 days was too long.

2. The snorkeling port excursions were all disappointing. A lot of waiting and extremely overcrowded catamarans. We could hardly move on the boats, and way too many people snorkeling. In Cozumel we only got to snorkel for a total of 35 minutes over 3 stops on a 4 hour excursion. Yep. Caymans was better as far as time in the water, but the crowding was unreal and we could barely move on the boat. Castaway was good.

3. We did Remy for the first time. It would have been nice to see the ocean while we there, but we were placed in the back and they wouldn’t move us. I have heard so much about Remy, but it didn’t compare to the many excellent French restaurants I have been to. Lots of sauces, but little flavor. The cooking was inconsistent too, I had one lobster tail that was essentially raw, the other one fine. My scallop was way over cooked and rubbery with almost raw potatoes. Chicken was just chicken. The wagyu my husband had was cooked well, finally, and a good cut of meat. But no marbling as tenderloin is too lean. The tooth fish was good. Excellent desserts! I would do a dessert experience, but the dinner was a let down. We didn’t complain or send anything back.

4. The bars were good and we spent some time on McGills. We did tequila tasting like we did on prior cruises and it was just ok. Of course we are lots of ice cream. We were never able to get an early seating so I had to stay up until 230 every day because of my GERD. Made for tiring days and I needed a nap after each excursion, so I missed almost every show offering.

5. A lot of changes since our last pre COVID cruise. The pools were opened late and closed early, so no more watching a movie late into the night in the pool. Couldn’t use the pools during at sea days as they were packed. So was the adult area. No evening cabana meals so we were stuck eating at the same time every night.

6. Our 13 almost 14 year old didn’t enjoy Vibe. She is kind of at that age were she was too old for Edge and the teenagers were a bit much at Vibe. Lots of teenagers looking for hookups, and she got hit on by too many 16 year olds that made her very uncomfortable. So, she spent every evening with us, and that meant we could not do any adult activities. She hung out in the room when we went to Remy. Lots of family time, but no adult time.

Yes, lots of complaining. Sorry, it is how I feel. Partly because my family didn’t enjoy much. Some of it was just our evolution as a family. The boat was packed, every inch of it, only escape was our room.
Thanks for review. Sorry you didn’t have a great time and many people realize cruising isn’t for them. You have tried a few! Sounds like you are foodies so maybe a foodie destination with more uncrowded activity options might be best idea. Finding places that interests everyone can be difficult so we often mix up vacations, some that are sitting on a beach/snorkeling and some that are going to more exotic places or foreign cities. We are both big Disney fans so many vacations involve cruises or parks and I’m the impatient one who hates lines/crowds so we try to zag when everyone zigs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter