"Just Keep Swimming": An Odyssey to the Enchanted 10k 2017 (July 12th Update)

doctorintheTARDIS

Mouseketeer
large.gif

Hi! I'm Ashley and uh, well...well I don't think I've eaten a fish!

(Alright enough, although I do love Finding Nemo!)

I am Ashley, and I do not like seafood...but I am trying to make myself like running. I'm keeping this journal to track my progress from non-runner (or person who didn't work out in general) to (hopefully) runner.

My goal is to complete the Enchanted 10k on February 25, 2017!
About me, I'm 23 years old and graduated from college last year. Right out of college, I taught second grade at a really high needs elementary school in Philadelphia. We were given no resources, and the kids were so attention hungry, and traumatized that they would do some really crazy things. I had my arm and two fingers broken...by eight year olds. The point of me telling you all this is because due to extreme stress, anxiety and depression from this job, I gained a lot of weight. Part of this journey will be to regain my fitness.

The other half of this story is that two weeks ago (June 10th) I saw there was a local 5k run for the animal shelter. I'm a sucker for homeless dogs and figured "Screw It! I'm running!" so I registered at 8:30pm for a 7:30am next day race....after eating McDonalds for dinner and not having trained at all.

With the help of chugging a gatorade and some pre-workout vitamins, I completed the race with a 10:55 mile average (33:50 finish).

When I crossed the finish line, I felt better then I had ever felt for the entire year...even though I thought I was going to die and crawled over to sit under a tree while drinking water that was kinda hot.

On my way to the finish line, when I thought I was going to jump out of the race, I kept saying "Just keep running" to myself and it reminded me of Dory's mantra. Then about 5 hours later I decided that I had to do Run Disney. So I will be running the 10k in February.

I'm hoping to run a 5k a month until then, except for in July, as I'm using July as a month to actually train!

My training runs might not be amazing, and quick, or beautiful. But I'm going to work my butt off, and your comments are always accepted!

Last edited:
Looking forward to following along on your journey!

Congrats on the 5K! That's a great time, especially for a race done on a whim!!

P.S. I'm with you on the seafood. :crazy2:

Following along. I agree that an untrained 5K of 33:01 is pretty good. It'll be interesting to watch your progression from almost literal zero running experience to where you can take yourself! Good Luck! :thumbsup2

So much of what you wrote in your first post rings so true to how I felt last year. I hope you end up enjoying running as much as we all have (even when it does suck, the great days and the finish lines make up for it.) I am impressed with your first race, so should I eat McD's this Friday before my next? :)

Skipping July is smart anyways because of the heat...I'm dumb and signed up for races in mid-July.

23r5s8g.jpg

This was yesterday's run. My first run in the heat (which could have been worse, but the humidity also sucked)

I got REALLY into my first few songs and ended up sprinting the first .85 (my mile was on a 6:30 minute pace) and then I realized I was sprinting and like died at .85 until 1 mile. Tried to pick it back up, but learned a valuable lesson about pacing (and that I have to think at least a little bit while running, instead of jamming to Florence and the Machine so hard that I ran faster than my body can handle for my 2 mile training run in the heat...)

No training today because a friend had a family crisis and I was on the phone talking them down for a while, then work, and then that person is going to be coming to live with me for this weekend, this evening. So I have to sort that out.

I'm hoping to get out early tomorrow!

I finished my second year of teaching middle school and I completely agree with you on the stress and weight gain!
I've been running for a couple of months and even though I'm not fast by any means, I've really started to enjoy it.
Best of luck with your training! I'll be following along. :)

Hoping to get a run in tonight! I had such a long Thursday-Sunday.

A friend got some really bad news and was in a bad place mentally (suicidal) Thursday morning, so I had to take him in and kind of "babysit" until today when the next friend could take him on....

I wasn't able to run and it was killing me...but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, huh?

FINALLY got to run tonight. IT WAS GREAT! I finally understood about pacing and ran the whole two miles without stopping once to walk. This is huge, I've never RAN this far before. I walked a bit around 1.5 in my 5k run.

I also got home and didn't feel like I wanted to die, but actually like I could have ran even further...but I decided not to push it!

Screen_Shot_2016_06_28_at_9_17_35_PM.png

(PS-- Thanks to those giving me the thumbs up on Strava... it totally makes me feel a bit better to see you guys cheering me on :D )

FINALLY got to run tonight. IT WAS GREAT! I finally understood about pacing and ran the whole two miles without stopping once to walk. This is huge, I've never RAN this far before. I walked a bit around 1.5 in my 5k run.

I also got home and didn't feel like I wanted to die, but actually like I could have ran even further...but I decided not to push it!

Screen_Shot_2016_06_28_at_9_17_35_PM.png

(PS-- Thanks to those giving me the thumbs up on Strava... it totally makes me feel a bit better to see you guys cheering me on :D )

That's what we're here for! I love seeing everyone's personal successes! Congrats on a new max running distance. A huge confidence booster!

2.5 Mile Run Tonight

Extended my distance of actual running (no walking for this lady!)

10:41 mile pace (a 10 second increase... not much, but I'm all about celebrating the little stuff)

And I got 5 little trophy things for various items on Strava tonight :)

I went against myself and signed up for a 5k for this coming weekend. I feel a bit more confident and I figured it will be good practice for races I can try to PR in, in the fall.

I also signed up for a virtual race through Nerd Herd because it had to do with Doctor Who and I love Doctor Who (hence the username) and I hate cancer. Hoping to do it on Wednesday as a training run for my real life 5k on Saturday.

I also joined The Hogwarts Running Club. Looks like an interesting group of walkers and runners who are kind and supportive (like here!)

Was a little speedier today then usual!

2 mile run-- I ran 10:00 mile for the second mile and 10:30 for the first. Was feeling a little winded on mile two (with good reason) and could tell I was running too quickly. So I'm definitely at least getting a handle on this pacing thing.

I think on race day I'm going to use Map My Run or something similar that will help me pace because otherwise I'm going to start running and have like an 8:30 mile for mile one and will be dying at the water stand at mile 1.5.

:dumbo:Any suggestions for a training schedule for my runs leading up to this 5k on Saturday?:stitch:

I can run 2.5 miles at about 10:40 (10:50 mile one/10:30 Mile Two and .5 was my last training) without feeling too winded. My goal is to run 10:30 for the 5k this weekend. Is this out of the question? I

Current plan:

2.0 Monday (Today)

1.5 Tuesday

3.1 Wednesday

Thursday Rest

1.5 Friday

SATURDAY RACE DAY!

Was a little speedier today then usual!

2 mile run-- I ran 10:00 mile for the second mile and 10:30 for the first. Was feeling a little winded on mile two (with good reason) and could tell I was running too quickly. So I'm definitely at least getting a handle on this pacing thing.

I think on race day I'm going to use Map My Run or something similar that will help me pace because otherwise I'm going to start running and have like an 8:30 mile for mile one and will be dying at the water stand at mile 1.5.

:dumbo:Any suggestions for a training schedule for my runs leading up to this 5k on Saturday?:stitch:

I can run 2.5 miles at about 10:40 (10:50 mile one/10:30 Mile Two and .5 was my last training) without feeling too winded. My goal is to run 10:30 for the 5k this weekend. Is this out of the question? I

Current plan:

2.0 Monday (Today)

1.5 Tuesday

3.1 Wednesday

Thursday Rest

1.5 Friday

SATURDAY RACE DAY!

My advice is to take it easy this week. Don't try and push too hard all week and save it for race day (try running in the 12:00-13:00 min range for the week). Given what you've done in training I think you've got it. My advice is don't use a Map My Run type pacing thing because it could hold you back or only cause negative thoughts. My advice is start at a slow comfortable pace, people should be passing you in the beginning. Then around mile 1 slowly increase your speed. Step on the gas. And then around mile 2 you should start passing all of those people who passed you at the start. Finish fast. I call it the Pac-Man theory. Chomp, chomp, chomp on those ghosts. Let your body decide how fast it wants to run after mile 1, not an outside source like a GPS device. You've got this!

My advice is to take it easy this week. Don't try and push too hard all week and save it for race day (try running in the 12:00-13:00 min range for the week). Given what you've done in training I think you've got it. My advice is don't use a Map My Run type pacing thing because it could hold you back or only cause negative thoughts. My advice is start at a slow comfortable pace, people should be passing you in the beginning. Then around mile 1 slowly increase your speed. Step on the gas. And then around mile 2 you should start passing all of those people who passed you at the start. Finish fast. I call it the Pac-Man theory. Chomp, chomp, chomp on those ghosts. Let your body decide how fast it wants to run after mile 1, not an outside source like a GPS device. You've got this!
Great advice!! Thanks!!

I wonder if I can actually jog a 13 mile pace! I'm going to actually have to try.
A 10:30 mile doesn't feel tough on my legs (I can run very fast sprints!) or whatever BUT my lungs go HECK NO quicker then that. So I constantly have to tell myself "slow, slow, SLOW!" to keep a pace right now.

We'll see tomorrow! Thanks for the suggestions again, I really respect your advice and appreciate you giving me time/advice!

Also, if I can afford it, I want to do the Chesapeake Bay 10k Bridge Race. I would have to get a hotel. But I love the Annapolis area of Maryland and it looks like a fun run. Looking for a 10k to do before disney

http://bridgerace.com/

Did 1.1 in 86 degree heat with humidity.

Ran a 12:30 mile. IT WAS SO HARD GOING SO SLOW OMG. (for all of you struggling to hit a goal mile, once you hit it, hopefully you'll end up in the same boat as me! Where going slower is tough. I don't mean it as a bragging right. It's making me angry that I can't tone it back without my legs protesting and wanting to go faster and faster!)

I'm sure I'll be happy about the slow pace training this week come race day though :)

Good luck with your race this coming weekend.

I can certainly relate with your difficulty running a slower pace. I've been aware of the idea of running a slower pace for a few years and see all of the benefits others are reaping from such training; and I still have a hard time convincing myself that I should run at a slower pace during a majority of my training runs. It's so easy to give into the temptation to try and finish more quickly.

Following along! Your start on your journey is inspiring! Keep up the great work. Oh and good luck on your race- hope it's not too hot!

Love your story. It's truly laudable that you're teaching in an area that needs passionate teachers that care about their students and the education they receive. My friend worked in Harlem straight out of school and couldn't take it and now works at one of the poshest schools in NYC. The stories she told me were heart breaking. Please continue - I really believe a strong education is so powerful!

Also great job running!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter