Just got back from Universal Studios Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneylover1970

Mouseketeer
We just got back from Universal Studios Orlando. We stayed at Cabana Bay. We had a pretty good time, but not interested in going back. It’s definitely not run like Disney. We had the counter service dining plan and refillable Coke mug(at parks). We weren’t told the mugs had to be activated each day even though we had 4 days of refills, there were only 2 restaurants at City Walk that accepted the plan. We were told there was also transportation by water taxi, but we had to go through another resort to access. We had issues along with others getting our tickets to work. The parks had a lot of trash laying around, restrooms were dirty and lacked toilet paper and hand towels(at least women’s). Resort was OK, except our room was never cleaned till after 4pm. Maybe I’m being nit-picky but Disney does set the bar pretty high

I agree with you on rhe food plan. When we went, it seemed like none of the good restaurants were on it. I'm so glad I talked my husband out of it!

Thank you for your report. I am sorry you had to deal with all of those things. We were at Cabana Bay from May 6-10 and while we did not get the meal plan (I don't think anyone's meal plan is worth it), we did not have any of the other issues you spoke of. When we purchased the cups, our guy told us about re-activation and where to get it done. Everyone explained the transportation whenever we asked, but that may be because we told them that we were going to visit all the other resorts. Our tickets worked perfectly, and in fact we upgraded to AP's because we are certainly going back. I did not notice any trash, but I may have just been oblivious and every restroom I went into was clean and stocked. Our rooms were cleaned usually by 9am. Again, I am sorry that it did not live up to your expectations, I hope that someday you might give it another try!

Thank you for your report. I am sorry you had to deal with all of those things. We were at Cabana Bay from May 6-10 and while we did not get the meal plan (I don't think anyone's meal plan is worth it), we did not have any of the other issues you spoke of. When we purchased the cups, our guy told us about re-activation and where to get it done. Everyone explained the transportation whenever we asked, but that may be because we told them that we were going to visit all the other resorts. Our tickets worked perfectly, and in fact we upgraded to AP's because we are certainly going back. I did not notice any trash, but I may have just been oblivious and every restroom I went into was clean and stocked. Our rooms were cleaned usually by 9am. Again, I am sorry that it did not live up to your expectations, I hope that someday you might give it another try!

We were there May 7-11. Definitely sounds like you had a more positive experience than we did. We won’t be going back that’s for sure.

Shame you had such a bad experience.

We are here now and arrived the 11th, parks are immaculately clean.......no trash laying around and never had a problem with toilet rolls or hand towels!! And I go a lot! Bathrooms are constantly being cleaned and every bathroom I’ve gone in there’s an attendant.

What did they say when you complained??

Our suite is cleaned every morning by 9am, this morning we went for breakfast at 8 and came back up at 8.30 and the suite had been cleaned. I suppose someone has to be last.

You stayed at Cabana Bay? The info is there to see there is no water taxi........they run a pretty good bus service according to many who stay there. Sure, you can walk the very short walk to Sapphire........

I’m sure every park has issues at times.........I remember the bathrooms in MK many years ago overflowing with trash and rubbish.......aren’t people messy at times!!!

As I said we are here now and experiencing none of the issues you have.........guess they cleaned up.

Sorry you had such a miserable time, but at least you know you won’t go back. I know how you feel.......we won’t set foot in Disney or Seaworld.........

We just got back from Universal Studios Orlando. We stayed at Cabana Bay. We had a pretty good time, but not interested in going back. It’s definitely not run like Disney. We had the counter service dining plan and refillable Coke mug(at parks). We weren’t told the mugs had to be activated each day even though we had 4 days of refills, there were only 2 restaurants at City Walk that accepted the plan. We were told there was also transportation by water taxi, but we had to go through another resort to access. We had issues along with others getting our tickets to work. The parks had a lot of trash laying around, restrooms were dirty and lacked toilet paper and hand towels(at least women’s). Resort was OK, except our room was never cleaned till after 4pm. Maybe I’m being nit-picky but Disney does set the bar pretty high

Did you do any research on Universal at all before going? It really doesn't sound like it. We were there two weeks ago and we didn't see any of the things that you reported. Sorry you had a bad time. As for WDW setting the bar, I strongly disagree.

Shame you had such a bad experience.

We are here now and arrived the 11th, parks are immaculately clean.......no trash laying around and never had a problem with toilet rolls or hand towels!! And I go a lot! Bathrooms are constantly being cleaned and every bathroom I’ve gone in there’s an attendant.

What did they say when you complained??

Our suite is cleaned every morning by 9am, this morning we went for breakfast at 8 and came back up at 8.30 and the suite had been cleaned. I suppose someone has to be last.

You stayed at Cabana Bay? The info is there to see there is no water taxi........they run a pretty good bus service according to many who stay there. Sure, you can walk the very short walk to Sapphire........

I’m sure every park has issues at times.........I remember the bathrooms in MK many years ago overflowing with trash and rubbish.......aren’t people messy at times!!!

As I said we are here now and experiencing none of the issues you have.........guess they cleaned up.

Sorry you had such a miserable time, but at least you know you won’t go back. I know how you feel.......we won’t set foot in Disney or Seaworld.........

We were there the week before the OP and everything was perfectly clean as usual. I guess the OP went at just the wrong time. Agreed on Disney! I would like to try Busch Gardens sometime though...

The parks had a lot of trash laying around, restrooms were dirty and lacked toilet paper and hand towels(at least women’s).
I swear this is a common complaint against Disney. Couldn't tell you how many times in various threads in various times of the year since I joined have I seen the 'trash all over, restroom icky' comment....against Disney.

Plenty of people however have also said that no trash/restroom issues arose on their Disney trip just like people will have for Universal trips.

We were told there was also transportation by water taxi, but we had to go through another resort to access.
Per Universal's website under Places to Stay there is a spot to compare hotels. If you go to that you'll see that for what Universal now calls Prime Value category that includes Cabana Bay where you stayed that a water taxi is not available:

upload_2018-5-15_19-6-27.png
upload_2018-5-15_19-6-52.png

We weren’t told the mugs had to be activated each day even though we had 4 days of refills,
I haven't gotten the Disney Dining Plan but with Universal it's only valid for each day you purchase it for QS Dining Plan. You can purchase Universal's QS Dining Plan or QS+Souvenir Cup at any point in your vacation.

In a nutshell their Dining Plans have different rules. Unfortunately you went in with the assumption that it would be just like Disney.

there were only 2 restaurants at City Walk that accepted the plan.
Per Universal's website under Packages & Tickets there's a spot for Dining Plans and then this will come up which shows you all the restaurants that take the Dining Plan and it's separated by both Table Service/Quick Service and location:
upload_2018-5-15_18-49-46.png

-------------------------------
I'm sorry you had a bad trip. No place is for everyone and it sure seems like both places have things not to everyone's standards/desires.

I do have a question though--seems a lot of your comments start with "we were/weren't told". I'm curious-did you happen to look up about Universal before going?

I posted this as a report of our trip. We were told at Cabana that the water taxi was an option for transportation, just walk across the street, to Shapphire Falls. The promotion we had was a 4 day dining plan and 4 day refillable mug. I did some research before. I understand people have bad experiences at Disney. This was just experience

Last edited:
TBH... I'm not a huge US fan either. We took at 3 day trip there 2 yrs back and while we had fun, I sit and think...how are their tickets almost as much as Disney??? I agree with the cleanliness factor, the lack of restaurants (I spent $35 at a glorified Burger King on CityWalk...ugh) and a lot of the rides start to feel the same. Don't tell DH, but we (DD and I) would take WDW any day over US

I posted this as a report of our trip. We were told at Cabana that the water taxi was an option. The promotion we have was a 4 day dining plan and 4 day refillable mug
I'm not getting the we were told part. I guess that means you didn't quite look at Universal much. There is a water taxi available but it is not a benefit of directly staying at Cabana Bay. Cabana Bay does however have a shuttle bus as a benefit of directly staying at Cabana Bay.

At least from what I'm understanding from Universal's information the QS Dining Plan is different than the Table Service because you can purchase Universal's QS Dining Plan or QS+Souvenir Cup at any point in your vacation whereas the Table Service can only be pre-purchased. The QS Dining Plan specifically has a limitation listed in its brochure for being valid only for day of purchase. Logisically I understand if they have you activate the souvenir cup each day.

Thx for posting ur experience Op, and others ... I booked for mid sept, a first visit..looking forward to try something different in Orlando.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!