Just back...SSR vs OKW

LIGrumpyGirl

DIS Veteran
We own at SSR and have stayed there twice this year. We decided to try OKW bc of the lesser points aspect. While I enjoyed my stay, I think we we will be headed back "home" next trip.

We checked in at 1pm and got a GREAT room (2620) right near a bus stop, HH house and the big pool. Second floor so we dragged everything up the stairs. At first glance, the room did not seem much larger. The way people explained it the studios were huge. I actually thought they looked smaller.

The room was clean...we did have to call for a light bulb out, no utensils and garbage under the sink though. The safe didn't work either.

What do I like better about SSR? The bathroom sink is outside the bathroom (although OKW bathroom was big). This has always been a time saver for our family. I like that you can swipe your key card to get into SSR in two places and not have to wait at the booth if there is a line. The closets are bigger at SSR. At OKW I was hanging my clothes over the vacuum and playpen whereas in SSE those things can be pushed to the back. The balcony at OKW was nice...but all we saw were trees and shrubs right against the balcony fence. The pool at OKW was great but my DD4 liked the zero entry better at SSR.

Olivia's was very nice and convenient. Good food.

All is all we had a great time and a very nice room but we will be headed back to SSR. I felt like I was comparing all week and that told me that I made the right decision by buying into SSR. Perhaps we will visit again when we are short on points...but SSR is home to us!

Thanks for the report!!

We havent stayed at OKW yet, mainly because we have been booking studios and I prefer the bed/sofa combo, because it allows for more floor space. Thanks for the comparison as I dont think we will utilize the OKW studios either. Now the larger units, Im In!!
I think the 1 bdr units and up is where you notice the size difference comparison.

Glad you had a great trip!!

I agree! We stayed for 5 nites at a 1-br at SSR and 2 nights in an OKW studio. We loved both resorts and wouldn't hesitate to come back to OKW, but not the studio. We stayed in a studio at SSR in May and I really loved it. The OKW studio didn't feel as cozy and inviting, more like a hotel room. I also missed the extra closet space in SSR. I would like to try the 1-br at OKW, though. We liked the pool at OKW but we LOVE the pool at SSR. I'm glad I'm an owner there. Next, we're trying a studio in BWV at the end of Oct and a studio at VWL in Christmas.

I thought the same thing about the studio at OKW. I think the two queen beds really take up the space and make the room look smaller. We loved OKW and maybe will splurge for a 1 bedroom next time. I also loved Olivia'a!

thanks for the report! :)

LIGrumpyGirl said:
All is all we had a great time and a very nice room but we will be headed back to SSR. I felt like I was comparing all week and that told me that I made the right decision by buying into SSR. Perhaps we will visit again when we are short on points...but SSR is home to us!
As its been mentioned OKW has two big advantages over many other DVC's, the lower cost points(BWV standard is about the same) and the much larger 1 & 2 bedrooms. Since you stayed in a studio you didn't gain one of these advantages.

I got to see an OKW studio when friends stayed there in June. The arrangement was so different it was hard to say if it felt bigger.

We did a split stay between SSR, our home, and BCV, our frineds home. I compared the two all week, and while BCV had it's points, I really love SSR all the more.

D4D

As much as I love OKW (our home resort...and BTW, Bldg 26 is my favorite!!) we never stay there if we are getting a studio...It is my first choice for a 1 or 2BR hands down, but I really like the studios better at the other places....nice to have the couch by day for sitting and the extra floor space and I feel like the OKW studios are just like a regular hotel room.

I agree with Ken and SB - - the studios are not all that great at OKW. Actually, I am a 1BR addict.

The OKW 1 BR? amazing difference (in size) from the other resorts. I am glad you like SSR - i think that is a beautiful place too.

Thanks for the report. We almost stayed at OKW this past trip but we chose to stay at BWV. DH missed SSR badly. I really want to try Wilderness Lodge. Off to planning the next trip LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter