Just Back SSR... thoughts on the No Smoking policy, and viewed AKV model room ~ WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeydad

A wise man once said... "You're where you are toda
We just got back from a 6-night stay at SSR. It was me, DW, DD12, DS10 & DD1. We surprised my DS, celebrating his 10th birthday!

We stayed in the Grandstand at SSR, room 9810 (2 bedroom). From this point on... DON'T BELIEVE ANYONE that says the Grandstand is far away from the main pool, etc. IT IS NOT, PERIOD!

The pool at the Grandstand is wonderful. It is much smaller than the main pool, but still was great. The water "guns" were fun and very refreshing for me and my family! That pool was only a 2 minute walk over to Artists Pallet, The Turf Club, the game room, the lobby, and the main pool.

While we were there, I stopped in to view the AKV models. IMO the 2-bedroom is much larger than the 2-bedroom we were staying in at SSR. I really liked the layout of the kitchen/living room area. I was shocked to find out that a 2-bedroom has THREE FULL baths, and now sleeps 9 people. It has a sleeper sofa and a sleeper chair in the living room area. I know for my family, I will get a 1-bedroom at AKV with my DD12 sleeping on the sofa bed, my DS10 sleeping on the chair bed, and my DD1 sleeping in the pac-n-play in the master bedroom with me and my DW. Saves points, and there will be plenty of room and the 1-bedroom will have 2 Full Baths! Very nice touch by DVC.

Regarding the No Smoking policy now at Disney resorts... unfortunately, the CM's DO NOT enforce the policy. Almost every day, guests were smoking at the pool, infront of the bar or in their chair. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to get involved, but I did tell my DVC Guide about this and asked him to pass this along to upper management. I thought it was pretty disrespectfully of these people smoking in these areas when everyone should know by now about the new NO SMOKING Policy at Disney Resorts. There are plenty of No Smoking signs-and designated Smoking areas-posted, but these people could care less about it. Seems to be a work in progress.

I would say that if you see people breaking the rules, PLEASE TELL SOMEONE. I know we all are on vacation and don't want to create problems, but really... these people need to understand they can't just do what they want. I wouldn't put it past them to be smoking in the rooms as well! I know I'm generalizing with that last comment, so please don't lash out at me, but I hope you understand what I mean.

If anyone has any questions... fire away!

Thanks,

Mickeydad:wave2:

We'll be going home for the first time in November. I haven't studied the map for SSR, yet. Is it ever worth it to request a specific building?

Anyhow, I wanted to ask you how the transportation was from the Grandstand. Did you have to make many stops b/f heading out to your destination?

Can I ask another general question? Is there a small grocery store at SSR? With what I plan to buy, I don't know if it will be worth getting Garden Grocer.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have to agree the Grandstand section is GREAT. I prefer the smaller pool as I find it much easier to keep an eye on the kids. That pool was perfect for my kids....and DH and I. I too thought it was nice and close to everything, and I will request the grandstand section again......

smoking..... non smoker here..
In canada ( my home) you cannot smoke anywhere in any public place. I think that disney has made all rooms non smoking, but I believe that sadly they have left some designated smoking areas outside an I think one of the areas was outside the pool ( by the BBQ) at the grandstand. I know that there are still a couple of smoking areas in the parks too. So perhpas the people you saw were smoking in designated areas only:confused3

tobi

We don't use the bus transportation, we always rent a car and drive to the parks. So... I can't comment on the bus transportation.

There is food you can buy at the Artists Pallet. Not a huge selection. We drove over to WinDixie (right around the corner) and purchased what we need from the supermarket.

Regarding requesting a specific building?!?!?! I'd say that when you arrive, ask them what they have available and then choose what you want. We arrived at 12midnight and did have a good selection of rooms to choose, and we went with the Grandstand area because it was just opened a week ago.

Have fun!!!

From this point on... DON'T BELIEVE ANYONE that says the Grandstand is far away from the main pool, etc. IT IS NOT, PERIOD!

No, no, no! Grandstand is awful and stinky. No one in their right mind wants to stay there. It's just boring golf course views anyway and the pool is tiny. Take my advice and request anywhere else!

-Message brought to you by the "Grandstand is for Us" Society. :dance3: Best understood while tickling your funny bone.

We'll be going home for the first time in November. I haven't studied the map for SSR, yet. Is it ever worth it to request a specific building?

You may be seriously limiting your choices then and stuck wherever the room assigner wants. It's best to request a section and/or proximity to a certain pool.

In Grandstand two of the buildings border the pool. The other two are on the opposite side of the parking lot. Still not a far distance at all. No further than your local box store strip mall.

Anyhow, I wanted to ask you how the transportation was from the Grandstand. Did you have to make many stops b/f heading out to your destination?

Grandstand is the 1st of 5 stops in the resort. The busses are empty so plenty of seats. Then it goes to Carousel, Paddocks, Congress Park and Springs. By the time it gets to CP it's getting mighty crowded on that bus. At the Springs you'll end up with standing room only.

Takes about 10-15 minutes to get through the resort then 10-20 minutes to get to your designated park. Animal Kingdom is the furthest ride because it stops at Blizzard Beach first. Most others are all around 12 minutes ride time.

Can I ask another general question? Is there a small grocery store at SSR? With what I plan to buy, I don't know if it will be worth getting Garden Grocer.

Yes. If you want to see what was on the shelves in May, here's my photo gallery of it: http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/BroganMc_photos/SSR Grocery/

It's the usual Royal Farm type grocery. If you want bulk items, deli or uncooked meats, you'll have to go to a grocery store.

Prices are so-so except for beer and soda. Those are through the roof. (For soda, it's better to get the refillable mugs.)

how do i join the "grandstand is for us" club!!!! we are arriving sunday and have requested grandstand. hope we get it.

A gentle reminder...

Smoking discussion is not allowed on the DVC Boards...if this thread strays into that area, it will be closed, and infraction points may be issued.

Regarding the No Smoking policy now at Disney resorts... unfortunately, the CM's DO NOT enforce the policy. Almost every day, guests were smoking at the pool, infront of the bar or in their chair. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to get involved, but I did tell my DVC Guide about this and asked him to pass this along to upper management. I thought it was pretty disrespectfully of these people smoking in these areas when everyone should know by now about the new NO SMOKING Policy at Disney Resorts. There are plenty of No Smoking signs-and designated Smoking areas-posted, but these people could care less about it. Seems to be a work in progress.

I would say that if you see people breaking the rules, PLEASE TELL SOMEONE. I know we all are on vacation and don't want to create problems, but really... these people need to understand they can't just do what they want. I wouldn't put it past them to be smoking in the rooms as well! I know

Frankly, at HHI two weeks ago they had no idea what the no smoking policy was about. No fliers, no, warnings, no nothing. I am pretty sure that most everyone other than DIS boarders do not even know about the new policy. I did however, witness a Disney employee asking a cigar smoker to stop smoking at the pool... which I whole heartedly agreed with.

I am one of "These People" you refer to... and I have never smoked in any room. I hope you always recycle all of your waste.... I do... I hope you don't drive a big SUV...I don't... Hope you don't drive a diesel vehicle.. really hate the smell of those...

Hope you don't wear perfume... I am allergic to that... Hope you don't make any noise... really irritates me. Hope you're not over weight... you just get in my way... Hope your children act perfectly, because you should have them under complete control... All things considered... I'm arrogant, because I think I am a better caretaker of the environment than most... even though I smoke.

VB Rocks..... as starbox says...

I will always take care of the environment.....

Frankly, at HHI two weeks ago they had no idea what the no smoking policy was about. No fliers, no, warnings, no nothing. I am pretty sure that most everyone other than DIS boarders do not even know about the new policy. I did however, witness a Disney employee asking a cigar smoker to stop smoking at the pool... which I whole heartedly agreed with.

I am one of "These People" you refer to... and I have never smoked in any room. I hope you always recycle all of your waste.... I do... I hope you don't drive a big SUV...I don't... Hope you don't drive a diesel vehicle.. really hate the smell of those...

Hope you don't wear perfume... I am allergic to that... Hope you don't make any noise... really irritates me. Hope you're not over weight... you just get in my way... Hope your children act perfectly, because you should have them under complete control... All things considered... I'm arrogant, because I think I am a better caretaker of the environment than most... even though I smoke.

VB Rocks..... as starbox says...

I will always take care of the environment.....

OOPs... just now saw Chuck S's reminder... sorry... I probably pushed this thread over the edge.... again.... sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter