Just Back from Vero Beach

TinkerMunk

Happy Holidays!!
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give a trip report from Vero Beach. This was my families first time visiting there and it was really beautiful. The check in process was really easy and where our room was, it was so close to the beach and the pool.
The first night we ate at Shutters which was PERFECT!!!:cool1: We were celebrating my father in law's birthday and it was so much fun when they celebrated with a cake and birthday button. The food was excellent.
The second night we had pizza (from Orchid's) for dinner by the pool which was a lot of fun and tasty pizza. The second night was the campfire but it got rained out so they did it on the back porch of the main building which was cool. We had desserts at the Green Cabin Room. They were good, but I wish we had gone to Shutters for dessert. Our chocolate tidal wave came to us pretty melted. It was still YUMMY!!!
On Day 3 we tried for the turtle walk lottery but had no luck. I hope that next time we go in turtle season we can go on it. We had reservations at Sonya's for dinner as we were celebrating my parent 30th wedding anniversary. I am a picky eater and there was nothing on the menu that I ate so I asked our server for a cheeseburger that I passed as we were walking in. I was told by the server, chef and manager that there were ABSOLUTELY no EXCEPTIONS that could be made. We were very disappointed in this because we wanted to have a good meal together. We ended up going to the front desk where Bonnie the manager was very helpful. She offered for us to eat in the Green Cabin Room but we wanted to have a nice sit down meal. We ended up going to a nearby Outback Steakhouse and it was great.
When we returned the following day we got a phone call from Vero Beach and it was the executive chef wanting to speak with us about our experience at Sonya's. He was very disappointed at what he heard and said that he wanted to make it right. He has invited us back to stay and have a meal at Sonya's. I will send another trip report when I get to go again. All because of a cheeseburger. I couldn't believe it.
Overall I was very satisfied with my vacation at Vero Beach and I can't wait to go back again. The activities with the recreation team, the pool and the beach were amazing.

Thanks for reading!!!:grouphug:

Thanks for the trip report. We just got back from our first trip to VB over Memorial Day and had a great time. I think we will give shutters a try next time.

We'll be going to Vero Beach for the first time in early January. Is the campfire a regular thing they do or just seasonal? What type of room did you have? We have Ocean View Deluxe Inn reserved.

I'd love to see any pictures of the resort, too, if you have some that you can post.

We'll be going to Vero Beach for the first time in early January. Is the campfire a regular thing they do or just seasonal? What type of room did you have? We have Ocean View Deluxe Inn reserved.

I'd love to see any pictures of the resort, too, if you have some that you can post.

I am not to sure about the campfire. When my husband and I went to Hilton Head in December they had a campfire as well. My family shared a 2 bedroom villa and the it was great. There were 6 of us staying and we had ple ty of room. I will try to post pictures when I get them.:banana:

Thanks for the trip report. I would think VB would be a great place for a large family trip. Sounds like you had a great time.

I am a little concerned about the possible changes I have heard with Shutters & Sonya's. When we purchased our contract last fall, the food choices played a part in the decision. Not a huge part, but since there are not any other restaurants real close, it did play a part.

The menu at Shutter was really great. At Sonya's, I was disappointed because there wasn't even a chicken option on the adult menu.

The menu at Shutter was really great.

I echo this, more than my DH. We also enjoyed a meal at Shutter's recently.

Thanks for your trip report. We've had 2 3 night trips to VB this year, and VB just keeps calling us back. We're planning an all family and some friends trip there next June!

Bobbi:goodvibes

The menu at Shutter was really great. At Sonya's, I was disappointed because there wasn't even a chicken option on the adult menu.

I took a look at the menu and it doesn't seem well rounded, which you need to be at a resort. ...or at least be very willing to accommodate requests.

One thing that I had noticed is that they had taken the vegetarian entrees off both menus. I remember shutters having a few choices for my DH now he is reduced to the flat bread. It seems like less choices overall???

The kids menu was great with a selection of 10-12 things (if I remember correctly) now it has gone the way of all disney childrens meals with 5 options. That doesn't sound bad until you have a real kid eating there multiple times duning the week. Mine wouldn't eat the grilled fish or chicken, so now we are down to three.

Oh well. We will have to explore the area more.

We love Shutters and VB in general! Glad you enjoyed it except for the Sonya's incident .Happy to hear they made things right!

I haven't been a fan of Sonya's since we had a disasterous meal when we were trying to have a great meal with family friends.

I am surprised that they didn't let you have the cheeseburger. I had been told in the past that you can order from either menu in either restaurant (it is the same kitchen). Sounds like the executive chef would have gotten it for you if he'd been on duty.

The restaurants at VB have made some major changes in the past few months and they really screwed a lot of things up, IMO.

Shutters used to be a regular hangout for us as locals. Not anymore. Their appetizer selection consists of mostly seafood and maybe one thing I would eat.

You used to be able to order off of either menu in Sonya's. Not anymore.

Even the waitstaff has changed. There used to be a lot of seasoned servers there who really took their job seriously. We've experienced nothing but the opposite during recent visits.

I believe their onion rings, kids ravioli and many other things are gone. They also stopped take out a few months ago from Shutters. They use boxed soups now and pre made desserts for the most part. BORING!

I know they needed to make changes but I think they took it a little too far.

I haven't been a fan of Sonya's since we had a disasterous meal when we were trying to have a great meal with family friends.

I am surprised that they didn't let you have the cheeseburger. I had been told in the past that you can order from either menu in either restaurant (it is the same kitchen). Sounds like the executive chef would have gotten it for you if he'd been on duty.

It is my understanding that it is the same kitchen too.. I am sure of it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter