Just Back from SSR

Salsafor1

DVC Member @ SSR
We just returned from a 7 night stay at SSR (new DVC members). We were a little worried because we normally stay at BCR and BWI, but SSR is fantastic! We started out with a studio in Congress Park (with a limited view of DTD) but we decided to change to a one bedroom at the Springs. The resort sort of reminded me of Celebration, FL. We liked so many things about SSR, but here are a few quick tips that we hope will help you on your next trip:

* Be aware that there is a walkway to DTD West Side. It is much faster than the bus and it is a pleasant walk. You head toward the marina--cross the bridge--take the path to the left--which will take you directly to DTD West Side.

* The bus stops for the parks (not DTD) in order are the Carousel, the Paddock, Congress Park, and then the Springs. We had a view of the Paddock bus stop from our balcony and when we saw the bus we wanted we quickly went downstairs to catch it at the Springs. Worked every time!!

* The Paddock building just South of the bridge and bus stop is very convenient to the quiet pool, main pool and the Carriage House (main building). We stayed in the middle building of the Springs and we had the choice of getting off at the Paddock or at the Springs because it is all very accessible.

* The construction going on is not a problem. I expected to hear noises from it, but it was very quiet. As a matter of fact, the rooms are pretty well insulated but the toilets are loud. They are the same type of toilets you find at the moderate resorts, but the rooms are so well insulated you don’t hear them as well as you do at a moderate resort.

* The Fairway Villas are really going to be nice. The buildings have great views of the golf course and the river. There is a building that sits directly across from the Carriage House that will be an excellent choice once it is open.

* The bussing was no different than any other resort we have stayed at on Disney. The SSR bus stops at the parks are always one of the closest. Most are stop # 3.

* We arrived at a normally busy check-in time but we walked right up to the desk. We also found the Concierge to be very helpful and not crowded.

* For our Magical Express bus, SSR was the FIRST stop to drop off guests at the resorts from the airport. It is also the LAST stop when taking people to the airport. This could not be any more convenient. Also, the bus only had guests for SSR, OKW and Fort Wilderness.

* The only downside we found is Artist Palette stays pretty busy at SSR and it had limited choices for food. I did like the Chicken Artichoke Flatbread! At the parks, the DDE kept most of the restaurants filled to capacity. It was tough getting a table and lines were long even at off times.

Well, that is all we can think of for now since we just got back. We will post more as we think of it. We can’t wait to go back!!!

Welcome back!! Sounds like you had a great trip. Now that you've been in the one bedroom, do you think you'll go back to the studio again? ;) Thanks for the report and tips!

Dear LuckymommyX2, That is such a cute name! I would stay in a studio without hesitation at SSR. But since this was our first trip as DVC members and we had a tough year (Hurricane Katrina), we decided to reward ourselves a bit with the one bedroom. For us, it was worth it because of the washer and dryer, the separate shower and bath, and two vanities. We don't have a lot of points left because of it, but I don't regret it. Also, one family member snores (who will remain nameless) and it made for peaceful sleeping arrangements. Well, peaceful may not be the right word. I slept in the bed with my 9 year old and his feet were in my face all night! How can anyone sleep like that? :)

Here is another thought I had about the trip:

* In the Artist Palette, many tables have an easel on it so kids can draw. If you take their finished project to one of the registers, a cast member will give your child a certificate for "Artist of the Day." My son really liked it, and they hang the picture up so everyone can see it.

Thanks for the great tips. Our first trip to SSR is in december so I appreciate hearing all the little extra tidbits.

Nice to know about the bus stops at the parks being close. And that's the first time I'd heard about the easels at Artists Palette; that's neat. Thanks for the info! Glad you had a nice time.

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip. We usually stay at BC or BW also, and we are staying at SSR in August. I didn't know there is a walkway to DTD West Side. Thanks for the info!! That will help a bunch! Did you walk to DTD Marketplace as well? Or can you take a boat?

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip. We usually stay at BC or BW also, and we are staying at SSR in August. I didn't know there is a walkway to DTD West Side. Thanks for the info!! That will help a bunch! Did you walk to DTD Marketplace as well? Or can you take a boat?

This info is old, from last year.

* Construction is now complete at the resort.
* The bus route is now Grandstand, Carousel, Paddocks, Congress Park, Springs.
* There are two walkways to DTD: 1) behind Artist's Palette across the bridge. Bear to the right for OKW and to the left for West Side. 2) in front of Congress Park with a pedestrian walkway along the road, ending at the DTD Marketplace bus stop. Walkway #1 is closed from Dusk to Dawn (no lights and very isolated). Walkway #2 is well-lit and heavily used at night.
* The ferry runs continuously between 11am and 11:30pm. Every 30 minutes until 4 and then every 15 minutes. The dock is located just behind Artist's Palette.

Whoops! Sorry that I didn't pay attention to the date! Thank you for filling me in on the current situation. When staying at SSR (probably Springs) and going over to the Marketplace, is it smarter to take the ferry or to walk? I assume that it's better to take the ferry to the West Side b/c the 1st walkway is closed at night & we will be going to the 9 pm show. Also, where is Disney Quest and what is the best way to get there? Let me know if you have any suggestions for getting to these places from the Springs section. Thanks so much; it will really help us to know b4 we get there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter