• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from our Disney Trip week of 10-19

100AcreWood

DIS Veteran
I always enjoy reading threads from people who have just returned from their trip so I wanted to add one too.

This was our first trip to WDW in three years. Our kids are 7, 9 and 13 now. Our biggest surprise was how nostalgic our 13 year was during the trip. She wanted to recreate pictures we had taken of her when she was small and she dragged us through the character lines more than our two younger kids.

Here are my thoughts.

1. Fastpass + wasn't as awful as we expected. We did miss getting 6 fastpasses per day like in years past. My recommendation to people using this system for the first time is to plan out your day so your fastpasses aren't scheduled to make you zig zag through the park. We only managed to get a 4th pass on two days and not for main rides. The only thing that irked me was the number of times we had to stand in a line just to get to the FP+ entrance of a ride. It seemed like people were showing up at the beginning of their fastpass times often.

2. Memory Maker was great. We made an effort to get pictures but it didn't take a lot of time. We left with 329 pictures in our account.

3. We usually go in October. The crowds were a little bigger but not too bad. Our last day (yesterday) was very busy in MK. We were anxious to leave because the lines were much longer.

4. The saddest thing we saw was a little boy about 3 who was being carried into Pirates. He was so upset and scared. We felt bad for him and then seconds later we saw him on his hands and knees crawling as fast he he could to get out of the line. He was so fast! You could see the fear in his little face and his adrenaline had kicked in. I hope the rest of the day went okay for him. We thought about that a lot.

5. I hate to dwell on this, but I don't know why people see a parade coming and decide it's okay to shove their children in front of your children. Happens every time.

6. Pin trading was great. I think the vinylmations are on their way out. I didn't see many.

7. We were on the hunt for Stitch. My ds is a huge fan. We asked about him in MK but the CM said he no longer signs autographs in the parks - only at O'Hana's. We were happy to see him at HS though. We stood in line and 10 minutes later his "handler" said Stitch would only be there for another 10 minutes. We panicked. It seems so silly but he is the one character my ds wanted to see. Anyway, this wonderful family in front of us told us to go before them. They said chip and dale was coming out to replace Stitch and they were good with getting their autographs instead. What a kind gesture! We had a great interaction with Stitch and the family behind us ended up seeing him as well.

Overall a good trip. I was hoping to find some cool inside out stuff in the parks but we didn't see a single inside out item.

Glad you had a great trip! We go end of February and can not wait. Last time we were there was May 2013, been counting down for this next trip ever since. :stitch2:

What a fun trip! I thought about your 13 YO while reading the report, and think that was wonderful. My 13 YO DGD was worried I would try to make her recreate her first trip because we had two little in tow in August. No, I would never do this! However, once we arrived, she was teh nostalgic one! She was in every photo, held little hands to help them get into place, sat through character meals with them on each side of her. I love that age! I am so glad you got to enjoy that sweet side of a tween!

That's so nice that the family let you go ahead to see Stitch :) He is a consistently great character to meet, my kids love him too.

Where do we find him in HS? I thought he was completely gone? He is my sons favorite and he is so sad he won't be able to meet him. I am excited there might be a chance now!

Thanks for your update. It's good to read recent experiences. (we leave tomorrow!)

Where do we find him in HS? I thought he was completely gone? He is my sons favorite and he is so sad he won't be able to meet him. I am excited there might be a chance now!

We found Stitch in the courtyard area where the hat used to be. He was there for 30 minutes in the afternoon and that was it! We found the Disney Experience app to be the best source for finding the characters. They listed all the characters when some of them were missing on the times guide.

Glad you had a good trip:) Counting down to ours next month:cloud9: About the little boy and the Pirates ride, I see so many times where parents just force their kids to go on rides, just because their tall enough or "mainly" the parents want to go on it. I have been in line many times and overhear a parent outright telling their poor kid a lie about the ride. The worst was TOT, the dad was telling his boy that its not dark and that it is no different then a regular elevator:eek:

We were on the hunt for Stitch. My ds is a huge fan. We asked about him in MK but the CM said he no longer signs autographs in the parks - only at O'Hana's. We were happy to see him at HS though. We stood in line and 10 minutes later his "handler" said Stitch would only be there for another 10 minutes. We panicked. It seems so silly but he is the one character my ds wanted to see. Anyway, this wonderful family in front of us told us to go before them. They said chip and dale was coming out to replace Stitch and they were good with getting their autographs instead. What a kind gesture! We had a great interaction with Stitch and the family behind us ended up seeing him as well.
That is wonderful! So happy your son got to meet Stitch. That is some Disney magic right there! :)

I forgot to mention we waited an hour to ride 7D. We couldn't get a FP for it but it was worth riding once.
Awesome! 1 hour is not bad at all. During last spring break I believe I saw it go up to 2.5 hours! And I love that ride, one of my favorites.

I am so happy you and your family had a great trip! It sounds like you made some magical memories that will last a lifetime!:goodvibes

Thanks for the report, been a zillion times and still got some tips out of your report so thanks!:)

Glad you had a good visit!

I will say one trip our 5 year old started freaking out in line for Pirates. The one that his favorite ride is the front seat of space mt (ie not scared of the dark or thrill rides). No idea why, he just lost it for a few minutes, I think he forgot what the ride was and in the excitement/confusion just couldn't verbalize...and then he calmed down and was fine on the ride and then wanted to ride again when he was done. So perhaps the little guy didn't end up traumatized too much. Sometimes it's tough being a parent and knowing when kids need a nudge out of their comfort zones and when you are pushing them too far. (But yeah lying about the ride is pointless, the kid is going to find out as soon as they ride!)

I am so glad to hear that pin trading is still going strong. We haven't been to WDW in several years but it was something all of my kids enjoyed. My daughter will be doing the Spring Advantage Disney College program so we will get to go much more often for a while.

Thanks for posting your update. I enjoyed reading it! Like you, I have found my older kids are getting more and more out of Disney trips. We took them when they were younger and they had fun but it just wasn't the same 'impact'. My olders are becoming very nostalgic about their Disney experiences. I always feel a bit sad for kids who got taken to Disney when they were 3, 4, 5...and then their parents never took them back cause now they thing they are 'too old'.

I sure hope they have more inside out stuff when we go in January. My 2 year old LOVES bing bong! Glad you had a great trip

I sure hope they have more inside out stuff when we go in January. My 2 year old LOVES bing bong! Glad you had a great trip

My almost 9 year old is having an Inside Out themed birthday party next weekend. I was hoping I would find some stuff for the party but no. I found a few things on amazon though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter