Just back from Grandstand SSR - 99% perfect!

LIGrumpyGirl

DIS Veteran
Just got back and LOVED the Grandstand section. Will be requesting that section from now on!

We had a 1br in the building facing the Grandstand pool. No major problems there. A few lightbulbs were out and a missing laundry basket but we just let housekeeping know.

Housekeeping did skip us on our last cleaning day. When we returned to the room at night I called to let them know. The CM said that we had our privacy sign up all day. It is true we had it up for one hour but we left for EPCOT at 2pm (for the DVC party) and the basket was there. When we returned at 9pm no basket but no cleaning. It didn't matter much because we were leaving in the morning and I had washed our towels but I don't think that is right.

The DVC party was wonderful. My DD6 had a ball! Free face painting...pictures with the characters...ice cream. A kid's dream come true!!

When we were leaving I examined our bill on the door. We don't use the charging priviledge much but I remembered somebody here saying they were charged for valet parking. Sure enough I was charged $70!!! Once at Boardwalk (I am DVC) and 4 times at the Contemporary - one for $30!!! I have DDE and should not pay for valet...plus I was only there 3 times - and not on the dates mentioned! One quick phone call and it was straightened out.

The one part that I didn't like was walking into the building...it was a wall of smoke! Now I don't want this thread to be turned into a smoking bashing one and have it locked. I understand smokers have rights too...but not at my health's expense. Everytime we walked into the building to get to the elevator there were no less than 3 smokers out there. My poor son was in his stroller and was at the sitting smokers' level. People were there with books, drinks, and food...like they were going to be there a while. Yes I could have gone in the side entrances - and we did sometimes- but at times we forgot. I just wonder if there is another place that the ashtrays can be placed. Even when nobody was there it still smelled awful.

Anyway back to my great trip...everything else was wonderful...how can 12 days at WDW not be!

Tried the Turf Club - wonderful!
Artist's Palette - the usual different food...very good - love the salads!
Buses - never waited more than 10 minutes everyhwhere - first on and first off love it!

Any questions??

No questions, but I'm glad you had such a great time and we hope to try the Grandstand section sometime. Also, it's great that you caught the inproper charges, but I wonder how many get paid.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Glad to hear you had a great trip. Trying SSR for the first time in Feb and we're hoping to stay in Grandstand.

One question about the smoke.....were these people in the "designated smoking areas" or are people just standing at the bottom of the stairs/elevator and smoking?

Thanks for the post. We requested the Grandstand in Sept. We are staying in a two bedroom. I hope that the movies are still playing in the main pool.
LI grumpy girl, did you watch any of the movies at the main pool?

Thanks for the tip.

I'll discuss requesting the Grandstand section at SSR with my DH for our up-coming December trip :cloud9:

Yes we did watch the movie at the pool. My DD6 loved it! I believe they are Wed and Fri nights.

As for the smoking in the right area question...I checked the map posted here on the DIS and it did not say it was an official area...but as DH said they did have ashtrays so maybe people thought it was official.

Sorry...I couldn't edit my last post.

We watched the movies at the GRANDSTAND pool. I do not remember the schedule mentioning the main pool movies. We watched Aladdin. Peter Pan was on another night and on 7/25 it was Xmas in July with The Santa Clause.

We are DVC's who haven't been "home" to SSR for a year. The last time we were there, construction was still underway.

We're heading back in December, and I'm interrested in the Grandstand area you're all talking about. Where is it? I didn't see it on any site map I looked at. Thanks for the help.

:teacher:

When you enter the main gate, you turn right immediately. It is situated right off the golf course and behind the Carriage House. I will look around the DIS- I am sure somebody posted a new map.

Oh forgot to mention that when I went to unpack there were two drawers full of the previous occupants clothes!!! If you were in the Grandstand Room 8745 the week before 7/15 - housekeeping has your shirts haha!!

:)
When you enter the main gate, you turn right immediately. It is situated right off the golf course and behind the Carriage House. I will look around the DIS- I am sure somebody posted a new map.

:) Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help

Great to hear that you had a great stay. We have always requested Congress Park but may try Grandstand next time.

Sorry to hear that the valet parking issues are still on-going. I guess that not enough of us have complained. Glad to hear you checked and got your money back.

We were in the Grandstand area this past June and just loved it. We had the pool right there, and the bus stop, right there, and the main area right there...you guys see the trend here. Also we loved the fact that the pool had it's own bar and soft drink refill station. I don't think they realized how popular that was going to be. Overall, I think they really planned and designed this area well.

On the other note...the designated smoking areas are at the main entrance to each of the building. I don't think they marked them on the map but there is a note I think by the description key that states that smoking is allowed there.

Hi! We were there when you were and it sounds like we were in the same building with the same view. We were in room 8234 with a view of the pool. It was fabulous. We originally requested CP but that didn't happen so they had us in the Paddock Section. I kindly asked if we could be put in the Grandstand and they had something for us. For now on I hope we can get this area again. Close to everything.

On night we even walked back from DTD and it wasn't a bad walk at all. Maybe 10 minutes with 3 kids too.

Happy to hear you had a great time!! We usually stay in the Springs section, but requested the Grandstand this time!!!

It is next to the Springs - directly opposite from Congress Park. So, it is farther/est from DTD Disney walkway but a very short walk to the Springs - few minutes. Also, first bus stop on and off - a real plus for impatient and tired kids/adults. We LOVED it!!

The Grandstand sound ideal. When we were there in Nov. it was still under construction but is looked as though some of the buildinge may have been just as close to the main building as the farthest Springs building. Do you think that is acuate?

We stayed at the Grandstand in May 2007. The location was great!!!!!!!! We were the first bus stop at SSR, and the first bus to be dropped off at SSR. The bus stop was very close to our "home." We stayed in the 81XX section in a 2 bedroom. It was the BEST Disney vacation!!!!!

:tinker:

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo pluto:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter