Just back from Costa Rica

Anyone know what happened to the turtles?? We're going in Aug, and I was really excited to see them, but I just checked the itinerary, and that's not listed. :mad:

Anyone know what happened to the turtles?? We're going in Aug, and I was really excited to see them, but I just checked the itinerary, and that's not listed. :mad:

They switched the itinerary from going to Tortuguero on the Caribbean coast (where the turtles go) to another wildlife park. I went to Tortuguero in April on our trip and since the turtles weren't in season we couldn't see them anyway. We really enjoyed Tortuguero but I would suspect that the change could be for two reasons: first, the trip out of Tortuguero made for a long, rather uninteresting day of travel in the itinerary. Secondly, the hotel there was an eco-resort and didn't have air conditioning, so perhaps people complained?

They switched the itinerary from going to Tortuguero on the Caribbean coast (where the turtles go) to another wildlife park. I went to Tortuguero in April on our trip and since the turtles weren't in season we couldn't see them anyway. We really enjoyed Tortuguero but I would suspect that the change could be for two reasons: first, the trip out of Tortuguero made for a long, rather uninteresting day of travel in the itinerary. Secondly, the hotel there was an eco-resort and didn't have air conditioning, so perhaps people complained?
I can't imagine why. The turtle walk was one of the highlights of the trip. It was a short plane ride but flying in and seeing the turtle tracks on the beach was amazing. Then we took a jungle boat tour and saw an unbelievable amount of wildlife. It's definitely a loss.

I checked the itinerary for our trip, and we do still get to go. :woohoo: I guess the change is for later in 2017 and going forward.

It sounds like this was your first Costa Rica tour. We are planning our first visit to CR too and I am wondering if you considered other tour operators, and what made you choose Disney? We are only in the beginning planning stages, and would go next year or the year after when my youngest is a bit older. I definitely want to zip line, because it is on my bucket list! I have heard planning on your own is "very easy" and love to plan, but am not ruling out a tour operator, by any means.

I looked at the Disney trip but ultimately went with Costa Rica Expeditions. The cost came out to about half of a comparable ABD and the itinerary was completely customized to my husband and myself. I cannot recommend them enough. You fill out a questionnaire about your interests and budget and they work with you to put together a perfect trip. For me, wildlife viewing was a priority and it was unbelievable. For example, our guide asked us what wildlife we wanted to see that day and if I said "monkey" they would not only show me a monkey, but different breeds, ages and sexes, doing different things. If I said caimans or sloths they knew where they hung out. The only one they couldn't deliver was the jaguar! They own two hotels and at the one I stayed at, I was treated like a VIP. Like, staff waiting at the dock with cool towels and fresh strawberry juice when you returned from a boat trip. They go to the same zipline that ABD does (it's the only one that passes their safety standards.) One day the driver taking us from one place to another stopped at his family's home and we got to cut sugar cane and press it for juice. Not on the itinerary but a lovely surprise. On the way back to the airport our driver stopped for a bathroom break at the most amazing hummingbird cafe. Never would have known about it otherwise. Your trip can be small groups or solo, or a combination of both. Completely custom. They asked what kind of hotels we wanted and customized that too. If you love to plan but want a little help from locals who know CR, this is ideal.

We leave at the end of the week, and I'm excited beyond belief!! Can anyone give me an idea about how much spending money to take? We're not obsessed with souvenirs, but obviously will get something.

We did not spend a lot. We went horseback riding on our pre-day but had paid with paypal. We bough a few shirts at the Marriott gift shop, mainly because it was chilly at night an in the morning for breakfast. The only real shopping we did was during our only OYO meal in Arenal (La Fortuna). There is a great coffee shop that grows their own coffee...Down to Earth. They had really great coffee and coffee liquor. And my DD found a shop for bracelets for her friends. There was one other shop we stopped at after white water rafting, but that was really it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter