Just back from Costa Rica

WDWmom08

Mouseketeer
We just returned from the July 30th Costa Rica trip with one pre-day. I can't say enough good things. Guides were amazing and I certainly could not have negotiated the logistics on my own. I feel like we saw all of the highlights but from an insider's perspective. We learned a lot while having a blast. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer.

There is a fair amount of bus time but it is always broken up with activities. You are never on the bus for longer than two hours at a time.

It is active but there are milder options for those that may have limitations. If you don't want to zip line you can take the sky tram and nature walk; if you don't want to white water raft you can take the tubing trip that ends at an animal sanctuary.

As far as hotels, they are all nice and clean. There is a little bit of everything. You start out at a very comfortable Marriott with lots of amenities, then spend one night in an eco-lodge which is basically a cabin (with fans but no a/c), then move to nice cottage style villas and end in a posh autograph collection Marriott with great bars, dining and a spa.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure if you can answer this, because I don't know whether you did the zip line or the sky tram or both. But I'm curious about whether you think someone with a fear of heights would enjoy the sky tram.

It sounds like this was your first Costa Rica tour. We are planning our first visit to CR too and I am wondering if you considered other tour operators, and what made you choose Disney? We are only in the beginning planning stages, and would go next year or the year after when my youngest is a bit older. I definitely want to zip line, because it is on my bucket list! I have heard planning on your own is "very easy" and love to plan, but am not ruling out a tour operator, by any means.

I'm not sure if you can answer this, because I don't know whether you did the zip line or the sky tram or both. But I'm curious about whether you think someone with a fear of heights would enjoy the sky tram.

I am very afraid of heights and did the zip line itself. I actually cried going off the first platform. I wanted to do it because I would have hated the feeling after of having skipped out. There were a few of us that didn't make the dicision to go until we were up there. The sky tram itself wasn't bad. It is kind of like a ski lift but with the bottom fully enclosed so your feet are firmly on the ground and you don't see air below you. It did not go fast and it seemed to give you a false sense of security due to the fact that you were over tree tops.

It sounds like this was your first Costa Rica tour. We are planning our first visit to CR too and I am wondering if you considered other tour operators, and what made you choose Disney? We are only in the beginning planning stages, and would go next year or the year after when my youngest is a bit older. I definitely want to zip line, because it is on my bucket list! I have heard planning on your own is "very easy" and love to plan, but am not ruling out a tour operator, by any means.

We did the Costa Rica ABD this Spring Break. It was our 2nd ABD. We chose to visit Costa Rica with ABD because I knew we would be well taken care of, the kids would be happy, and that safety would be paramount. I am a bit of a fraidy cat but with Disney I know they place safety at top priority. So I did not hesitate to zip line or white water raft. Also, we have come to really enjoy group travel. It takes the stress off of us, and we meet great like-minded families.

It sounds like this was your first Costa Rica tour. We are planning our first visit to CR too and I am wondering if you considered other tour operators, and what made you choose Disney? We are only in the beginning planning stages, and would go next year or the year after when my youngest is a bit older.

This was our first tour vacation and our first time to Costa Rica. I am planner at heart so, yes, I did consider other operators. I did several spreadsheets comparing other tours companies and other locations. We decided to do Costa Rica because of the age of the kids. We were traveling with another family and their 2 kids. We felt that some of the Europe tours might be too "museum-y" for the 9 year old boy we had with us. Then we looked at 4 different CR itineraries before choosing ABD. Honestly, what sold us on Disney was the quality of hotels and the itinerary itself. We liked the end of the trip that had the catamaran trip and some beach time so it was a good mix of fun activities and relaxation. The last hotel was very nice. I cannot imagine having planned all of the logistics myself. We got there and got on a prop plane that took us out to the coast. We had to pack for two days and take a separate bag because the aircraft can only hold so much baggage and the bus couldn't get there. The rest of our bags went out on a bus that met us ahead at our destination the following afternoon. We traveled on and off the same bus with the same driver the rest of the trip. At one point we were on any army caravan type vehicle headed out to go river rafting and I looked at my friend and said...How would we have planned all this??? Also, what really surprised me was how much we learned and enjoyed the education. The local guide was fantastic. I really feel like I walked away have done an adventure vacation but enriched by the experience.

Thanks for your review. I am looking into CR for next summer for our family. Both DH & I want to do the zipline, but both our kids will not. Our 11 yr old had an opportunity to do a short zipline about 35 feet above sand. Twice he went up to do it & chickened out. Our younger DS is afraid of heights. So if both our kids want to do the sky tram instead, I am guessing DH or I would have to miss zip lining & have to go with them.

Thanks for your review. I am looking into CR for next summer for our family. Both DH & I want to do the zipline, but both our kids will not. Our 11 yr old had an opportunity to do a short zipline about 35 feet above sand. Twice he went up to do it & chickened out. Our younger DS is afraid of heights. So if both our kids want to do the sky tram instead, I am guessing DH or I would have to miss zip lining & have to go with them.

The guides split up so if you are comfortable leaving the kids with the guide you could. One goes with the zip liners and one with the sky tram. Everyone meets together on the main platform to take a photo with both guides even if your not dressed out to zip line (although, they do recommend everyone get geared up in case you do decide to go). So you can literally wait til the last minute to opt in or out.

I am very afraid of heights and did the zip line itself. I actually cried going off the first platform. I wanted to do it because I would have hated the feeling after of having skipped out. There were a few of us that didn't make the dicision to go until we were up there. The sky tram itself wasn't bad. It is kind of like a ski lift but with the bottom fully enclosed so your feet are firmly on the ground and you don't see air below you. It did not go fast and it seemed to give you a false sense of security due to the fact that you were over tree tops.

You are braver than me. I didn't ask about zip-lining because I am almost certain I will be too wimpy to try it. It sounds like the sky tram might be an option for me.

Let's talk weather..... My hubby and I are looking at CR for our next ABD. We are discussing if we should do Spring Break in March or wait until summer break . We are teachers/ no kids that are open to traveling either or.

Let's talk weather..... My hubby and I are looking at CR for our next ABD. We are discussing if we should do Spring Break in March or wait until summer break . We are teachers/ no kids that are open to traveling either or.

We are from New Orleans and went beginning of August when it is miserable here. I thought going to Central America at that time was crazy because I thought it would be sweltering. It wasn't bad. When we got to San Jose it was chilly (to us Southerners). It was 66 at night and 75 during the day. I bought a long sleeve t-shirt for dinner and my daughter was "freezing" at breakfast on the patio. Once we got to the coast and for the rest of the trip it warmed up. Low to mid-eighties during the day mid-seventies at night.

Last edited:

I've been to Costa Rica the last week of March/first week of April several years ago (not with ABD but on a school trip) the weather was warm but very comfortable though it cooled off quite a bit at night (my sister ended up borrowing a sweater from our local hosts to stay warm). As we were a bunch of teenage girls traveling with a school group they had suggested we not wear shorts so I wore full length skirts and pants and was comfortable but several of the girls wore shorts and were quite comfortable as well. HTH

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! Costa Rica is high on my list and I'm really considering doing ABD since I'm a single mom.

This was our first tour vacation and our first time to Costa Rica. I am planner at heart so, yes, I did consider other operators. I did several spreadsheets comparing other tours companies and other locations. We decided to do Costa Rica because of the age of the kids. We were traveling with another family and their 2 kids. We felt that some of the Europe tours might be too "museum-y" for the 9 year old boy we had with us. Then we looked at 4 different CR itineraries before choosing ABD. Honestly, what sold us on Disney was the quality of hotels and the itinerary itself. We liked the end of the trip that had the catamaran trip and some beach time so it was a good mix of fun activities and relaxation. The last hotel was very nice. I cannot imagine having planned all of the logistics myself. We got there and got on a prop plane that took us out to the coast. We had to pack for two days and take a separate bag because the aircraft can only hold so much baggage and the bus couldn't get there. The rest of our bags went out on a bus that met us ahead at our destination the following afternoon. We traveled on and off the same bus with the same driver the rest of the trip. At one point we were on any army caravan type vehicle headed out to go river rafting and I looked at my friend and said...How would we have planned all this??? Also, what really surprised me was how much we learned and enjoyed the education. The local guide was fantastic. I really feel like I walked away have done an adventure vacation but enriched by the experience.
Looking forward to going over Spring Break this year! Any hints for the trip? Sounds fantastic!

Any hints for the trip?
Don't forget to pack a black/dark outfit if you are going during turtle nesting season.
Pack extra swim suits; the humidity doesn't allow clothing to dry out easily, even when you hang it up in the room.
Water shoes are a must.
And lastly, I would recommend an underwater camera. The kids got a lot of use out of it.

Have a great trip!

I have closed toe water shoes, but the back heel is open. Are those okay for wearing on this trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter