Just back from Arizona/Utah

Do you have any recommendations for activities on the "on your own" times and/or dinners?

This is what we did for the OYO time:

Sedona: OYO time was the afternoon of the first full day. A couple of people went on a hike just outside the resort, but you can also use the resort mountain bikes. My kids just wanted to swim. So, we hung by the pool (had a few margaritas) mostly. The pool at the Enchantment is great, and the scenery is amazing! We also made use of the games at the Enchantment - we played bocce, croquet, and tennis. Dinner is OYO. Unless you want to take a taxi or Uber back into town (which I don't think anyone really ever does), your choices are the two restaurants at the resort. Everyone in our group went to Tii Gavo. At the Welcome Dinner, they had sign up sheets to make reservations for this night.

Grand Canyon: OYO lunch - we went to Maswick Lodge (you can walk there) and ate at their food court type dining place - typical food court stuff (burgers, chicken, salads, subs, etc). Dinner - we chose to eat at Maswick again, but at the pizza pub.. The pizza was nothing special, but for our family it was fine. The guides did secure a bunch of reservations at El Tovar for dinner that night that you could sign up for, but with our boys (who at kinda picky), we didn't think that would be a good fit. For OYO time in the afternoon, we went on a hike into the canyon - we went about an hour down and an hour back up, and I'm so glad we did! The view from in the canon is so different from the top. The guides did lead an unofficial tour of more stops along the rim, but we really wanted to go into the canyon. Pretty sure we were the only ones in our group who did so.

Moab: OYO lunch - after going to Arches you will have time in the town of Moab for lunch and to walk around a bit. We ate at The Spoke on Center. Really good burgers - they also had good looking milkshakes, which came highly recommended by Troy, our guide, but we didn't have any. We were planning on having some ice cream after walking around (they have a walk up window on the side of the restaurant), but we ended up finding some really great (huge) shaved ice, which I highly recommend! For the OYO time, the first day we hung by the resort pool. The second OYO time the next morning we went on the ATV adventure offered thru Red Cliffs. Since we have two younger boys (8 and 6) we got the quad vehicle. It was so much fun!! It was expensive, but probably something we wont ever get a chance to do again. It was probably one of the highlights for us.

I really need to figure out how to load pics so I can do a trip report...DSCN2318.JPG

Wow thanks for the OYO info and recommendations. Looking forward to your trip report. Is there anything you brought or didn't bring on your trip that you can recommend?

Do we need water shoes for the raft ride? Or will crocs work?
According to my Vacationista, Sandals that are not flip flops can be used while river rafting. I had asked about wearing Teva's and/or Ecco water shoes and told her they had back straps. So as long as the Crocs have a back strap it should work.

This is what we did for the OYO time:

Sedona: OYO time was the afternoon of the first full day. A couple of people went on a hike just outside the resort, but you can also use the resort mountain bikes. My kids just wanted to swim. So, we hung by the pool (had a few margaritas) mostly. The pool at the Enchantment is great, and the scenery is amazing! We also made use of the games at the Enchantment - we played bocce, croquet, and tennis. Dinner is OYO. Unless you want to take a taxi or Uber back into town (which I don't think anyone really ever does), your choices are the two restaurants at the resort. Everyone in our group went to Tii Gavo. At the Welcome Dinner, they had sign up sheets to make reservations for this night.

Grand Canyon: OYO lunch - we went to Maswick Lodge (you can walk there) and ate at their food court type dining place - typical food court stuff (burgers, chicken, salads, subs, etc). Dinner - we chose to eat at Maswick again, but at the pizza pub.. The pizza was nothing special, but for our family it was fine. The guides did secure a bunch of reservations at El Tovar for dinner that night that you could sign up for, but with our boys (who at kinda picky), we didn't think that would be a good fit. For OYO time in the afternoon, we went on a hike into the canyon - we went about an hour down and an hour back up, and I'm so glad we did! The view from in the canon is so different from the top. The guides did lead an unofficial tour of more stops along the rim, but we really wanted to go into the canyon. Pretty sure we were the only ones in our group who did so.

Moab: OYO lunch - after going to Arches you will have time in the town of Moab for lunch and to walk around a bit. We ate at The Spoke on Center. Really good burgers - they also had good looking milkshakes, which came highly recommended by Troy, our guide, but we didn't have any. We were planning on having some ice cream after walking around (they have a walk up window on the side of the restaurant), but we ended up finding some really great (huge) shaved ice, which I highly recommend! For the OYO time, the first day we hung by the resort pool. The second OYO time the next morning we went on the ATV adventure offered thru Red Cliffs. Since we have two younger boys (8 and 6) we got the quad vehicle. It was so much fun!! It was expensive, but probably something we wont ever get a chance to do again. It was probably one of the highlights for us.

I really need to figure out how to load pics so I can do a trip report...View attachment 246850

Thank you so much - really helpful info!

According to my Vacationista, Sandals that are not flip flops can be used while river rafting. I had asked about wearing Teva's and/or Ecco water shoes and told her they had back straps. So as long as the Crocs have a back strap it should work.

My husband wore flip flops because we accidentally left his Keens at home and nobody said anything to him about it.

Just back from this fabulous trip. Exhausted but happy. In comparing this trip to the Wyoming trip, I would say this trip was busier. We were on the go constantly. Don't miss:

Optional sunrise hike in Sedona-breathtaking scenery with hot air balloons in the distance. I took my profile pic from my balcony at Enchantment at sunrise.

Sunset at Hopi Point at Grand Canyon. We also booked a bike tour through Bright Angel bikes on our free afternoon that took us out to Hermit's Rest where a California condor flew right by us.

UTV ride in Moab. It was an absolute blast!

Last edited:
Did you go to Monument Valley? We did the Arizona/Utah trip, with a few days in Colorado at the end, and we included MV. It's funny-the only reason we went there was because it was on DH's bucket list. I could care less-until we got there-I thought it was beautiful!

One more tip. If your room at Red Cliffs backs up to the corral (everyone in our group had room here because these are the rooms with two queens), grab an apple from breakfast. There is a black horse named Gunsmoke that waits by the back fence near the stream out your back patio every morning around 7 for you to feed him. The wrangler says he's part Labrador retriever. Lol. But beware of skunks ambling by!

Did you go to Monument Valley? We did the Arizona/Utah trip, with a few days in Colorado at the end, and we included MV. It's funny-the only reason we went there was because it was on DH's bucket list. I could care less-until we got there-I thought it was beautiful!
We did and it was stunning. Lunch out in the valley prepared by the native Americans and had my picture taken on a horse at John Ford's Point.

Last edited:
Agree with g8tor - don't miss the sunrise hike in Sedona! We, unfortunately, didn't see any balloons, but according to Troy and Mike they are usually there. We also had the pleasure of seeing two of the condors at the Grand Canyon - I hope you guys get to see them!

Agree with g8tor - don't miss the sunrise hike in Sedona! We, unfortunately, didn't see any balloons, but according to Troy and Mike they are usually there. We also had the pleasure of seeing two of the condors at the Grand Canyon - I hope you guys get to see them!
Do you know if that's Mike Hage? Mike was a shadow Guide when I did the Arizona/Utah trip in 2008, and he was great. He took me along on an exploratory hike at Red Cliffs Lodge, when everyone else was horseback riding or ATVing. It was a great hike, and he was good company!

Sayhello

Do you know if that's Mike Hage? Mike was a shadow Guide when I did the Arizona/Utah trip in 2008, and he was great. He took me along on an exploratory hike at Red Cliffs Lodge, when everyone else was horseback riding or ATVing. It was a great hike, and he was good company!

Sayhello

It was Mike Hage. Loved him! And he was amazing with my boys. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter