July 6-13 Magical Cruise (Long)

llachance

DIS Veteran
July 3rd - July 6th - Animal Kingdom Lodge. Ostrich Savanah room within 100 yards of Check In. Saw everything but zebra from our balcony and wouldn't change a minute of it. Boma for breakfast was OK but didn't eat enough to get my money's worth. Boma and Jiko for dinner can't be beat.

July 6th - Embarkation. Tiffany Town Car to the port. Wonderful service, got there about 11:00 am ship started boarding by noon and we were in our cabins by 1:00 pm. Luggage was delivered by two. About 3:00 we went up to the spa and made reservations for several different things during the week and then went to Palo's and made reservations for brunch and dinner.

July 7th - Key West. Fun town. Took the Conch Train tour - had a great tour guide and it was a good overview of the city. Ate some Key Lime Pie, bought some souveniers. Went on the Sunset Sale and it was fun. The description of the excursion said drinks and snacks would be available. The "snack" was a bowl of Key Lime Ice Cream - which is fine but the excursion started before early seating started and got back after late seating started so if thing don't change make sure you eat before you go. We had late seating and our head server said to be sure to come anyway and we did.

July 8th - Day at Sea. My mom and I did some spa stuff, had brunch (was really awesome) and then just sat on Deck 4 and read and snoozed most of the day away. Very relaxing.

July 9th - Grand Cayman. Tendering was Disney simple. My mother did the City Tour and was not particularly impressed. My daughter and I did the Ship Wreck and Reef snorkel. Lots of fun and lots to see. My only objection - again - would be that we were promised drinks on board and there were none....but I would do it again.

July 10th - Cozumel. We all went on the Tropical Jeep Safari. Had an absolute blast. Somebody in your party should be able to drive a stick shift so that you can keep your party together. For lunch, we went to one of the prettiest beaches I have ever been to. Lots of bumping and I am noticiing a few bruises but would do it again in a second. When we signed up for the excursion ahead of time we were only offered an afternoon time slot. Turns out there was a morning one as well - wish I would have known because my daughter was going on the teen catamaran that evening and since we were late returning things were very tight. My mom and I went to Carlos and Charlies. It is as crazy as they say but lots of fun. We had dinner at Palos and finished off with the deck party in the evening. I was very happy for the next day to be a day at sea.

July 11th- Day at Sea. Deck chairs, pedicure, reading and snoozing.....sea food buffet for lunch....

July 12th - Castaway Cay. Very hot but fun. Although we had been told that Parasailing was sold out we walked off the ship at about 10:00 and signed my daughter up for 10:30. She is 15 and I didn't have to go with her either.....this is how we did it last year as well, so don't be completely discouraged if you want to do it and they say it isn't available - just check when you get there. Lots of Jelly Fish, many people got stung and I say one guy step on a sea urchin......had lunch at Serenity Beach with my mom and she had Lobster Tail (so the stories are true).

July 13th - Home again. Oh well. Had late seating so ate breakfast at 8:00 am - were on a bus by 9:00 and back to Orlando International by 10:00. We didn't leave until today (Sunday) so had plenty of time to hang out.

Signed up on board for December 2003 (20th-27th, Western), got the 200 credit and it was a little cheaper then when I looked on line the previous day, don't know why but doesnt matter because we are going back.

Late seating PALPALP (so no youngsters but didn't start in Lumiere's). Servers were Ashell and Sanjeev. Ashell was very good but Sanjeev was the personality. Turns out our assistant server from last year was promoted to server and our head server is now on the wonder. Our stateroom host was very efficient the room was always clean and other then the first night there were animals. He even taught my daughter how to make them! Common Grounds was her hangout and she loved it as usual. Didn't meet a lot of people on this trip but the ones that I did were from my immediate neighborhood, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale and San Jose......pretty small world I guess.

Guess that is enough but email me with more detailed questions if you want.

Lisa and Jo:)

Glad you had a great time and met some nice people. We, too, met some really nice people this trip. The ship was full of 'em :D . Guess you bailed on the Tulum trip. We went ahead anyway, but saw the jeep people when our bus pulled into Playa and the jeeps were everywhere. It looked like that would have been a fun excursion. Tulum was great, but they added the beach stop and since people were late getting back on the bus from the ruins, our beach stop was only 30 minutes - what a waste. We did the shipwreck & reef trip on Grand Cayman - the 1:40 excursion. Too funny! Loved that, but agree with you - the "drinks" were not there and much needed. Too sad, though, was a girl sitting by us was putting her jewelry away and dropped her class ring - it bounced off the boat into the ocean!

I haven't seen my daughter's class ring! I suspect it may have been hers as she usually wears it.....I wonder when she is going to tell me?:confused:

Funny we were on the same excursion and didn't realize it. My daughter was the very tall young woman in a blue one piece and I am slightly shorter with short hair (very) and was wearing an aqua color suit.

We will be going on the Dec. 20-27th 2003 cruise too! I can't wait! It will be such a great way to celebrate Christmas, don't ya think? We also have two more cruises booked before that one (Wonder in January and Magic in April to Eastern Carribean). So far, we were the only DISers listed for the Christmas cruise so I'm glad you are going too! We have two DD who will be 9 and 5 at that time. How about you?
Ann

I have a 15 year old daughter and myself. Considering bringing one of her friends along as well! Haven't got any cruises planned but will probably visit Disney World over her spring break......brings it a little closer:)

As I sit back and continue to think about things that went on during the week.....

I saw the show on the first night and Hercules. Didn't miss the other ones. Had a massage appointment during Disney Dreams but knew I would be coming back again so will have the opportunity to see it again. Didn't hit anything that I did last year - mainly because I was spending time with my mom and we both enjoy reading (I got three books read) and chatting....

Palo's brunch is not to be missed. Kept me full until dinner that night. There were no reservations left for high tea but I talked to people that really enjoyed it. Dinner was very good but I think brunch had it beat!

The excursions we went on were memorable. If the weather is cooler when we return (December 2003) we will probably take the Tulim Ruin tour. I just couldn't face the summer heat (and I grew up in Phoenix) my how things change as you age. I won't book any excursions for Key West because the town is small enough to get around on your own.

I didn't miss the extra day at sea that the eastern has. You don't get into Key West until noon so you really have half a day to get situated just as the cruise starts.

Packed half the clothes I had packed from the year before and will pack half as much again next year. Wore capris for dinner except for Palo's, Formal and Semi-Formal night and didn't feel out of place at all. Lugged snorkeling gear but if I buy into a Disney Excursion I will just use what is offered.....will make the suitcases lighter.

Didn't swim at all on the ship. The family pool and Mickey's pool were crowded. Saw people putting towels on chairs before the sun even came up (I walked the deck for an hour every morning). If I was looking for a spot I probably would have moved towels. My daughter, being a teenager, swam when the teens had their pool party and that was it.

Spent the bulk of my money in the spa this year. Couple of massages, pedicure, Chokra (the white tube thing) experience (if any of you are familer with the beds that used to be in hotels that you put your quarters in and they would vibrate you have an idea what this is! Spend your money wisely. My second massage wasn't nearly as good as my first one and I think it had to do with the fact that the girl that was working on me realized early on that I had bought all the products I wanted from the spa and she wasn't going to make a sale. It wasn't bad, just not as methodical as the first one.

Bought the wine package again, bought some home.....if I travel with another adult next year that will share I will do it again. Traveling by myself makes it pretty expensive.

Parents, control your children. Several times saw folks that really couldn't use the stair have to wait forever the elevators because kids were playing in them. And, the rooms are not sound proof, when you are running down the halls and screaming at one another (even talking in lound voices) it can be heard behind closed doors. If there is an age limit on an excursion there is probably a reason that the vendor put it on there. Look very carefull at what is being offered and make sure you all will enjoy it. On our shipwreck/snorkel there was a young boy, probably 5-6 who had very little desire to be in the water and screamed whenever his face got wet. Wasn't a lot of fun to listen to and couldn't have been pleasant for his parents either. I actually bought an excursion ticket for my daughter, that I could tell by her attitude she wasn't interested, I was out the money but didn't inconvenience other people with her sulkiness (she is 15). You still read in many reports that the a lot of people have the best time doing nothing but hanging out please consider it for everyone's sake.

As I said in my first report we are signed up for Christmas 2003 and can't wait to go back. If I can find a way to swing it we might go on one 4 day just to make the wait for the christmas cruise seem shorter! Look forward to meeting up with everyone again!

Lisa and Jo

Lisa, was your daughter picked to be a contestant on "Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer?" My daughter said "hey that's Jo!" But we didn't know if she was "your" Jo or not since they didn't get to talk to each other before the cruise. My daughter was in Common Grounds all week. She absolutely loved it and said it was the best part of the whole cruise. She didn't come home till 2 A.M. every night!!

Yes it was my daughter who was picked. My mother went on stage with her. I was having a pedicure done. It wasn't my favorite show last year so I didn't have a problem skipping it....my daughter wears her pin proudly and my mom got the $100 stateroom credit. I never heard her come in during the night and I feel like she bonded more with the kids this year then last....we are looking forward to December 2003 when we cruise again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter