Job interview... feeling nervous!- UPDATE post 1

leebee

DIS Veteran
Guess what?? I GOT THE JOB!!! party:
I was so worried that my age (61) and being so "out of the loop" scientifically would go against me!

Original Post: I have a job interview in a few hours and I'm starting to get nervous. First of all, it's a Skype interview. I've never used Skype before, so I'm a bit anxious about it. The IT guy at work set up Skype for me so I know it works, and a friend has practiced a bit with me, but I'm still a bit nervous about it. Then there's the job itself. The position is as a lab manager for an academic chemistry lab (organizing/managing the labs and TAs for the organic chemistry program). I have lots of experience in managing labs, so not as worried about that, but there may be a teaching component. I haven't worked in science in over 10 years, and before that the majority of my experience was in biochemistry and molecular biology. I haven't taken a chem course in 30 years! I know I can handle the lab manager part, but the possibility of being a lab TA has my stomach churning. I guess if they are offering me the interview, they must feel I'm capable of handling the position; they have my CV, transcripts, and references, after all. Oh well, we'll see... just wish I wasn't feeling so nervous/anxious!

Last edited:
If you have an interview, that means you're already qualified for the job. They wouldn't bother interviewing you if you weren't. Interviews are more like personality tests, to see if they could see you fitting within their team.

Just be confident!! And smile! You'll rock this!

Congrats on landing the interview, leebee! You'll do great. The job sounds fantastic. I hope you get it! I agree with the others. If they are bothering to set up a Skype interview with you, they're already interested. Breathe, smile, and relax. Since you still have time before the interview, maybe have a cup of tea or go for a walk to calm your nerves?

Thanks, everyone; it made me feel better, reading all the supportive messages! I think the interview went well. As much as I like my current job, I am ready for a change and this position would more than double my income. Fingers crossed!

Thanks, everyone; it made me feel better, reading all the supportive messages! I think the interview went well. As much as I like my current job, I am ready for a change and this position would more than double my income. Fingers crossed!

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

I see more Disney trips in your future!

Best of luck, hope you get what you're wishing for. :genie:

A big raise would be awesome! :yay:

Last edited:
Glad your skype interview went well. I bet you’ll be called for a second interview.

If you have an interview, that means you're already qualified for the job. They wouldn't bother interviewing you if you weren't. Interviews are more like personality tests, to see if they could see you fitting within their team.

Just be confident!! And smile! You'll rock this!

Depends on at what level or in what field. In my experience for technical positions it's a winnowing of applicants down at every level. I've definitely had phone interviews where the questions of experience in a specific technology came up and that basically ended the interview or I could tell it would never get to the next level. It was tricky applying for many positions where they seemingly wanted the "purple unicorn" who is theoretically able to come in on day one with almost no additional training and be perfect for the job. I've also encountered cases where I was told it wasn't that big a deal that I didn't have everything they wanted in the job description as long as they felt I could grow into it.

I've also had full-day onsite interviews where there was no phone interview, so basically they were only going by what they saw on my resume and/or application. Everyone has a different style, but the best one can do is be natural, since it's going to be pretty obvious once on the job.

Job interviews and asking a pretty girl out are two of the most nerve racking things one can do

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter