JetBlue: Lower Prices Closer to Departure?

carlbarry

DIS Veteran
I'm leaving for WDW on November 28.
I always travel JetBlue out of JFK.
However, this year their prices are quite high. (Delta is comparable.)
Does anybody have any opinion or experience about how the prices will fluctuate the closer I get to departure?
Years ago, this wasn't a problem, as JetBlue would credit you for free for any dip in prices.
Thanks.

Jet Blue is running a sale right now for travel between 10-25 and 12-14. I wouldn't think they would get lower than this sale.

Check out https://www.jetblue.com/deals/falling-fares-sale/?intcmp=?intcmp=H1_NFS_10172017

There are blackout dates and you departure date looks to be one of them though.
Yeah, I got the same email. If I leave at 6 am (yuch) I get the lowest price, $92 with a checked bag. But returning, my usual 10 am flight back to JFK is $154. So in total ($244) about $50 more than I expected, or have paid in the past.
By the way, when those dates first opened back in June, the fare was $428! By mid-July its was down to $305. Mid-August dipped to $270. On September 18 there was a "sale," and the price went to $267. Day after the sale price went down to $241. Then in following weeks went back to $301, then $286. Yesterday it was $284.
So maybe my best bet is to grab it now at $244, as they say the return flight has the "last seat" at the $154 price.

I'm leaving for WDW on November 28.
I always travel JetBlue out of JFK.
However, this year their prices are quite high. (Delta is comparable.)
Does anybody have any opinion or experience about how the prices will fluctuate the closer I get to departure?
Years ago, this wasn't a problem, as JetBlue would credit you for free for any dip in prices.
Thanks.
Completely depends upon the flight. I've seen them move both ways as the flight date approaches.

Cant comment on JetBlue but can on Southwest which is their competition in many markets. SWA fares can change by the minute. I once called them to change flight and while on hold the fare went up. Then tried a few hours later and it was lower than the first time I called. Up and Down always. Sometimes their fares are lower closer to departure then months in advance. I would assume JetBlue would be similar as its more of a budget airline compared to UNITED/AMERICAN etc which dont jump around as much.

One other note did you look into flying out of EWR instead of JFK? Many times Newark is cheaper than JFK.
I live about a 5 mile drive from JFK. Newark is over an hour drive. So it would have to be one big savings to pay to fly out of EWR. Also, to/from JFK I have friends who will give me a lift. To Newark I'd have to spend quite a bit to get there (tolls) and then for parking, or for alternative transportation.

Tomorrow will be my 5th time flying JetBlue in the past 5 years. Each time I have booked I have almost always seen the price go up and I have booked from when the window opens until as close to 28 days out. However the last time we flew I had checked flight from both BOS and PVD to MCO about 5 months. Out of Boston they wanted $800 for 2 people R/T and PVD was almost $1000. I was waiting for the JetBlue Plus CC for the free bags to arrive. I was about to book out of BOS but decided to check PVD one last time and PVD had dropped to $500 R/T for both so for a $300 savings we went with PVD. After that the flight continued to go up.

I should say that I almost always fly on days that they never put on sale though

it’s not that airline prices rise closer to flight time, it’s that the lower priced fare classes sell out. It is almost always true that the closer to flight date, the more expensive your ticket will be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter