Jet Blue &/or Southwest?!?

jliucci

Mouseketeer
Probably a silly question but any disadvantages to booking 1 way airfares to Disney world with two different air lines? Southwest is cheaper down to FL and Jet Blue is cheaper returning to CT. I have only ever done roundtrip tickets. Also, bonus points if you can make any recommendations on who is better with flying with a toddler (2.5yo)

Thanks!

No problem flying different airlines.

Jetblue has tv screens for every seat. You bring your own headphones.

We use different airlines frequently if the rates and times are better.
Both airlines allow check in and baggage drop off at hotel for return flight.
Jet Blue charges $25 1st bag, $35 2nd bag for economy. Southwest is free for 2 bags.

Shouldn't be an issue at all, in fact we often book our flights as 2 "one way" even when using the same airline. Especially with SWA and their no fee change or cancelation policy - its easy to change things around if someone in our party has a schedule change. Sometimes I even book us all separately so if my dd has to change flights its easy to change her without affecting the rest of us.

Back OT - I like both airlines but when comparing costs I would make sure you include any extra fees.
SWA doesn't have bag fees, seat selection fees or change fees. Jet Blue does charge for checked bags and "extra leg room seats" as well as for changing flights.

We did this in April. Jetblue down and Southwest back. As other's mentioned consider the extra cost of luggage on Jetblue. But, we can do a week with carry on and personal item if we do laundry there. On Southwest no assigned seats, so consider the extra cost of adding early bird check-in if you think you might need it. As far as comfort I consider Jetblue to be superior. Seats are more comfy. You have the tv and unlimited better selection of snacks. But if Southwest saves money we don't hesitate.

No problems at all, as others have mentioned. Yes, JetBlue has different pricing from which you choose, depending on your luggage.
They charge for the extra legroom seating option with early boarding. SW charges for that Early Bird and now the other more expensive option at the airport for better place in line. If you have an Amex, you get a $200 travel credit per year for ONE airline, which you pick and can change in January only. It's a nice perk and covers some of those fees.
Boils down to schedule, price, and availability.

On Southwest a toddler gives you access to family boarding after the A tickets have boarded, if you don't get A seating or don't care to pay for Early Bird check-in. It pretty much guarantees your family will be seated together, but maybe not in the most desirable seats on the plane (assuming one prefers the front of the plane to the rear).

Take a look at Expedia and see how they rate the reliability of both flights. I've found the site pretty spot on for flights to and from the NYC region- they all say Spirit is abominable, LOL.

We flew JetBlue for the first time in June. We took Delta to Boston and JetBlue on the way back. JetBlue was great and I wouldn’t hesitate to fly them again ... just make sure you are figuring in the extras on JetBlue when you compare prices.

Love JetBlue. You get seat assignments for no additional fee. You can carry on your bags or some of your bags to save on checked bag fee. Bag fee is $25 per bag per person. I have the jetblue MasterCard elite so I get free checked bags. I have flown SW when times are better. No little ones with us, so we pay the extra $15 early bird fee to sit near our grandkids (over age 6).

We only travel with carry on's and have never had to pay to check our bags from MCO to BDL on JetBlue. JB always announces the flight is full and asks if anyone wants free checked bags. We prefer not to check upon arrival so we can dash off the flight and get straight on ME, but always use it on our way home.
I don't know if they do free checked bags for all their flights, but every non-stop we've taken they've always offered.

We only travel with carry on's and have never had to pay to check our bags from MCO to BDL on JetBlue. JB always announces the flight is full and asks if anyone wants free checked bags. We prefer not to check upon arrival so we can dash off the flight and get straight on ME, but always use it on our way home.
I don't know if they do free checked bags for all their flights, but every non-stop we've taken they've always offered.

I have had them ask a few times as well but not to Orlando. It’s our flight from Hartford to Ft. Myers. We don’t check either, although april we did for scuba stuff and we just buy everything once we get there as we are at my sisters house. They don’t ask every year but usually we give them our bags since my mother is with us and it’s one less bag to drag on.

Now for our flight in less then 2 weeks to Orlando, I don’t want to give up my bags! I just want to grab my bags and go to ME and our return we did the even more space seats since it arrives at 11:30pm and we don’t want to sit for bags at that time of night.

Or, again, book. Blue. Plus.

I suspect it wouldn't be the cheaper flight the OP is looking at then. Is Blue plus generally less than $25 more than the economy fare? I dont get to fly JetBlue much because they have very limited flights out of PIT.

Looking at a few flights from here, Blue Plus is $23 more than Blue. So OP would still have to figure that extra cost into her calculation. It is almost as much as the $25 to check a bag. Depending on how many people are flying, that adds up.

Last edited:
If you have an Amex, you get a $200 travel credit per year for ONE airline, which you pick and can change in January only. It's a nice perk and covers some of those fees.

Which AmEx do you have? It's not on my blue cash at all and DH has a $100 credit/year on his Premier Gold one.

Looking at a few flights from here, Blue Plus is $23 more than Blue. So OP would still have to figure that extra cost into her calculation.
Well, no. Comparing SouthWest Wanna Get Away fares to JetBlue Blue Plus cares automatically includes the "extra cost."

Southwest Boston/Las Vegas 9/2-9/7 WGA fares range from $300-$705.
JetBlue Boston/Las Vegas 9/2-9/7 Blue Plus fares range from $363-$717. Bonus ability to select seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter