It's gonna be an oven, but WE'RE GOING TO WDW in AUGUST!!! Final thoughts

KathyM2

DIS Veteran
I'm SO excited to be starting this PTR!!

In case anyone's interested...the crew for this trip is just me (Kathy) and my DD (Alexis) age 11, so another girls' trip as we seem to be the only real Disney fans in these parts.

So far all I've booked is our hotel...working on flights and ADR's...and I am in a bit of a frenzy, because as usual, this trip is being booked well after the 180 day mark. Luckily we are still pre-60 day mark so FP+ hopefully won't be an issue, but I do want to get some ADR's nailed down soon. I am super excited to be going back to the world, but the only down side is that I had hoped that for our next trip (or at least SOMETIME in my life) I'd get to book a trip at more than 180 days so I could get some of those coveted POP ADR's and really top tier reservations for dessert parties and such..but beggars can't be choosers!

I'm also really excited to be going at the same time as @chunkymonkey and I'm sure I've been driving her nuts with my questions on FB messenger :)) because I've been out of the Disney planning game for a couple of years. I've read a ton of peoples' TR's and PTR's, but it's not the same as the level of focus needed for planning your own lol

ANYWAY...for anyone who's interested...come join me for the ride! My TR's tend to be pretty text heavy and low on the pics, though I will try to do better than that...I just find the picture posting on the Dis a bit slow and time consuming...maybe I'm not doing it right?

Let's get down to business...

Here's what is booked so far:

Wed Aug 9-Saturday Aug 19 - Contemporary Resort!! I'm so thrilled, haven't stayed here since the 80's and can't wait to be on the monorail and so close to MK!!!

Flights...working on it!!

ADR's so far (but have already been changed multiple times)
California Grill Dinner
BOG Dinner
Rose and Crown Dinner
Tiffins Rivers of Light package

But this all may change...I'm now going through park hours etc, trying to figure out park days. Also this will be my first ever time having park hoppers, which is both complicating the planning process and changing my way of thinking...have to get some of your advice on that one...avoid EMH?? Go to EMH parks in the morning and vamoose after that??? Try to do the whole 4 parks in a day thing??? Who knows...

So that's where we are right now...Can't wait to start chatting Disney more with Y'all!!

Last edited:
We always have hoppers and I love morning EMH personally- IF you can get there prior to start (just like regular rope drop). We will be there part of same time (whole family 8/9-8/14) while me, DS and oldest DD will be there a bit earlier (dropping oldest off for DCP and driving down.) DH and other DD will be flying in on the 9th (she has band camp the 7th and 8th she can't miss). Staying at SSR 9-14. Not sure where staying 6-9 yet (I have some credit card rewards I'm stockpiling, that along with Orbitz discount code I am kinda waiting for AKL to drop into a range I feel comfortable paying LOL)

We've never been in august so planning afternoon breaks for sure. REALLY hope the park hours are updated prior to FP time!

Have a Tiffins ROL package too! Late lunch on the 12th.

OK gang, so let's get this PTR going.

Some background:

Last time we went to Disney (2015) I did not tell my DD until we checked in at the airport. If I could figure out how to post a damn picture I would show you the sign I made and had an airport employee show it to her. She thought we were going to Washington, DC until we got to the airport!

This trip, DD again doesn't know yet and I haven't decided when or how to tell her. Suggestions welcome!

As an aside...since I haven't had a PTR or anything going in a while, I will share some backstory.

It's been a pretty rough year or so for our family. Last June 2016, my husband of 15 years decided he was done with our marriage and moved out. About a week after he moved out, I found out, basically via social media, that he had been cheating for over a year. Nice. So it's been pretty rough. My DS now lives with his dad and his dad's new GF (who moved in with him less than two months after he left us) and was really angry and terrible for about the first six months. Things with him thankfully are starting to calm down now. My DD is handling things pretty well but it still hasn't been easy.

Not that you all needed to know that but...I guess I find these PTR's a bit like therapy too (which I'm sure I could use more of lol) but also explains some of the things I'm doing. I'm really doing my best to give each of my kids some special experiences and working on how this co-parenting with my ex-AS&*^^ is going to go down in the long term. My DS was given a choice of what type of trip he wanted to do, and he decided that he wanted to go to Montreal to visit his GF so I will take him to do that, since at 14 he can't really go alone :) and that is what he chose as his summer trip.

SO I was tossing around ideas for a trip with my DD this summer, since my DS decided to go to Montreal, and while a city tour of some other city sounded fun...I decided both DD and I really need the full on "escape from reality" that a trip to WDW provides (as you all know well :)) That is how we finally decided to do this. Of course I know that I don't need to justify a trip to Disney with any of YOU wonderful people, but you know how it is...people IRL mostly just don't get why I'd want to spend the amount of money one spends at Disney to go back again and stay even longer this time to boot!! But I think this year I've earned it, so here goes!!!

Gonna post this novella and then next post get down to business with what's planned so far...in case anyone is reading....otherwise...I'll just be here talking to myself!

I'm reading! Sounds like just what you and your family need is some great new memories. I love the idea of special one to one trips. Did that with oldest DD her senior year (her trip of choice was to Washington DC LOL-we had a blast). My son isn't thrilled about Disney again, but this fall (and through next year) are a bit unique in that oldest DD will be on DCP this fall, and we are getting AP's. So we have 3 trips planned so far (2 with kids, one just DH and I when we go to pick DD up in January), and I am working on DH for another early June trip for 2 weeks with everyone (a few days/week onsite then offsite to our TS). Especially with use of our timeshare and passes covered it really doesn't need to be expensive for us - I don't mind doing simple cooking on vacation or just hanging around resort pool with the kids.

Ooh, I love a good August WDW trip! I feel trapped at the thought of no park hopper, so I think you'll like having them. Morning EMH at Magic Kingdom are my favorite on those hot summer mornings. You can get a lot done in that first hour.

I understand about the family drama, too. My first marriage ended similarly (I was 24, had a 3 year old and a one year old...ex left in the middle of the night to move in with his underage girlfriend and her mom. Very classy.)
It ended up being the best thing that ever happened to me and my children. So hugs to you, and here's to new amazing Disneyfied memories pixiedust:

Looking forward to following along with your plans!

What's booked so far???

Dates: Contemporary Resort - from Wednesday August 9th to Saturday August 19th.

Flights: Arrive at MCO on August 9th at about 11am (hope to get to CR by 1 ish?) Departure sadly on August 19th at 11am (which means stupid early departure on the ME because Canada...sigh...)

So this is the ONE down side to this trip. I had really really hoped that the next time I planned a WDW trip that I'd be able to do it before that 180 day mark and have a chance at the really coveted ADR's, you know PPO ones at BOG and O'hana and CRT and such. But it was not to be. This is when we can go and life is too unpredictable for me to plan that far out. I have to accept that. I think I'm doing pretty well to have it booked 4 months out, and at least in advance of the 60 day mark for FP+.

As soon as the resort and flights were booked, I started going nuts on the ADR's just to get "something" on the books in a frenzy. I have already tinkered quite a bit with plans, as I'm sure I will be until arrival day lol. Also I've been messaging with @chunkymonkey quite a bit and pestering her for tips etc. and turns out she will be there for part of the same time, so we are definitely hoping to do at least one DisMeet. I'm SO excited about that! If anyone else will be there at the same time I'd love to hear about it!

ADR's Booked so far (that may change)

California Grill Dinner
BOG Dinner - so excited to get this
50's Prime Time Dinner
Via Napoli Lunch
BOG Breakfast
Garden room at GF Tea (will serve as a lunch)
Rose & Crown Dinner
Tiffins ROL dinner package - so excited to get this too
O'Hana Dinner **excited to get this, but not thrilled that it's for 3:45pm ...going to try to work on that...

Other ADR's still in the works - trying to get an afternoon ADR for Beaches and Cream for an afternoon snack of ice cream...
Also trying to figure out a restaurant for a dinner at DS - I have been to Raglan Road and loved it, but debating doing that again or trying something new...Boathouse, Paddlefish or Morimoto Asia all appeal to me but not sure how DD would like any of those...

I guess the next step is figuring out what to hopefully make FP+ plans for, luckily I've got some time on those.

And of course...I'm sure things like park hours could change and mess up all my carefully laid plans...

But the one other difference for me on this trip, I am getting park hoppers. I have never had them before and really excited about the prospect...but it both complicates and simplifies the planning at the same time. I guess it gives you so many more options!! So lots more to think about.

Did that with oldest DD her senior year (her trip of choice was to Washington DC LOL-we had a blast

Thanks for following along!! So awesome that you went to DC. I actually did do that with my DS a couple of years ago too. We had a lot of fun, but it was super hot (as I know it will be at WDW in August, but in DC there was no lounging by the pool lol) But I agree, one on one time is important.

My first marriage ended similarly (I was 24, had a 3 year old and a one year old...ex left in the middle of the night to move in with his underage girlfriend and her mom. Very classy.)

OMG that is brutal, but I'm glad it was for the best. I hope that one day I will be able to see it that way too. I am getting there! Thanks for reading!

I'll be there the 12-16! I'm actually terrified about melting.

Hey that's great! I will head over and check out your PTR!

I'm worried about melting too. I am trying to build in lots of rest and pool time, but it's hard because you still want to try to see and do everything. I may have to lower my expectations of what can get done in a day.

I'm here! I wanted to post for a while but kept getting distracted but I'm finally responding! Haha for the record, you are NOT driving me nuts on FB, I actually appreciate how I have someone to talk to who is into planning as much as I am because my entire family and most of my friends are NOT Disney people let alone vacation planning people so it's nice to talk to someone who is into planning!

I love all your plans! Of course I had suggested half of it, LOL. I hope you're not disappointed! And definitely very excited about our DISMeet! I am going to post more about our plans tonight!

Yay you got your flights! I am still trying to look for flights. Everything is sooo expensive. I guess I'm not used to paying peak season prices. I might have to fly in the night before because the flight is 50 bucks cheaper and stay in the airport hyatt like we usually do just because they are running out of the rooms at the Polynesian for August and it might be to late to get another room. Sigh.

Park hoppers does add another level of complication to the trip but now that we have always gotten them it's hard to not get them...they are useful in case we miss a show or parade or something we really wanted to do and allows us more flexibility.

And definitely very excited about our DISMeet! I am going to post more about our plans tonight!

Yay! Me too!! We will definitely find a time that it works!

I am still unsure about keeping a 3:55 O'hana reservation though...I just don't know if I want to eat a ginormous meal at that time...but I will give it some more thought!!

Hi! Fellow Canadian (East Coast) here! Jumping on board for your PTR! I read your March girls' trip TR not long ago and then noticed you were going back this August. We're going to be overlapping trip dates a bit — the fiance and I get in late Aug. 15th or early the 16th. Sadly it looks like we'll probably be a little rushed those first couple of days sorting out last-minute wedding details (for the wedding on the 17th) and squeezing in a family day on the 18th, so I don't think I can commit to a Dis meet. Pretty sad about this. :(

Also, sorry to hear about your ex and the upheaval it's caused! My step father (now ex-step-father kind of?) also cheated, and he left my mom after 12 years of marriage. It wasn't pleasant, and things were different, but people are resilient and we were all ok. And he's a loser now, obviously. Wishing you and the kids well in your transition time.

Looking forward to following your plans!

Sadly it looks like we'll probably be a little rushed those first couple of days sorting out last-minute wedding details (for the wedding on the 17th) and squeezing in a family day on the 18th, so I don't think I can commit to a Dis meet. Pretty sad about this. :(

Wow, sounds like quite a trip you have planned! I will have to come check out your PTR. Not to worry about not having time. As it gets closer we can see if maybe we'll be anywhere near each other at any time and if a quick hello would be feasible but I totally get if it isn't!! You must be so excited about your wedding!

Wishing you and the kids well in your transition time.

Thanks. It's been tough. I hope that soon we will see the light at the end of the tunnel but right now we are packing and getting ready to move and it's really crappy.

Wow, sounds like quite a trip you have planned! I will have to come check out your PTR. Not to worry about not having time. As it gets closer we can see if maybe we'll be anywhere near each other at any time and if a quick hello would be feasible but I totally get if it isn't!! You must be so excited about your wedding!

Thanks. It's been tough. I hope that soon we will see the light at the end of the tunnel but right now we are packing and getting ready to move and it's really crappy.

It's very exciting!! Hopefully we can squeeze something in if we're all going to be close by sometime!

Hang in there. Moving is never pleasant, even under good circumstances. Sending love and light your way. :grouphug:

Let's see...what's new around these parts. I have been forced to stop the tinkering frenzy because real life got in the way - hate when that happens. But I feel ok because I have got some great ADR's down and really there isn't that much to do until FP + time in June. I have been going through my park time and trying to figure out what FP's will be on my wish list though so that I'm ready when that day comes...I'm sure that will be a constantly revolving list as well. I've been reading a lot on touring plans as well about best use of FP+ and such and how they can come up with plans for you. The thing is though, having never had a park hopper before...not I will be going from park to park so the touring gets a little more complicated....ie: when/where to use your FP+ etc...I will have to do some more research on that...:) But it's all fun right?

O'Hana Dinner **excited to get this, but not thrilled that it's for 3:45pm ...going to try to work on that...

So I ended up cancelling this ADR for O'hana. As much as I really want to go there, I just can't deal with eating a huge feast for dinner at 3:45pm. It's not just the eating part, it's the idea of having to interrupt the afternoon to go and sit inside and eat that is bugging me. I was trying to figure out our plans for that day, and going over to the Poly at that time to eat just does not work. So. I am still checking every day to see if I can get an ADR for a time that's actually closer to a reasonable dinner time, maybe 5 or 6pm would be perfect...but if that's not in the cards then...I will just have to settle for maybe the QS at the Poly and hopefully a DisMeet with @chunkymonkey :) instead.

One thing I have looked into which I hope to do as a "new to us" activity is to go see Yeehaw Bob at the POR. I have heard so many great things about this guy and it sounds like a fun way to spend an evening. And they have some decent looking food there too, so I'm definitely putting that in the plan. Since the last time I posted I also booked an ADR for Raglan Road. We've done that before and it's always fun. I debated trying something new and cool like Paddlefish or Morimoto...both of which look amazing...oh especially the drinks at Paddlefish...sigh...but since I'm going with my 11 year old...who tends to like tradition...I decided to go with tried and true. We are doing a lot of new to us things on this trip...but I do have to throw in some old favourites as well.

So that's about it on the planning front today. I have been working more this week so it's been busy around here. Also getting ready to move in a couple weeks. Blech. But onwards and upwards.

So. I am still checking every day to see if I can get an ADR for a time that's actually closer to a reasonable dinner time, maybe 5 or 6pm would be perfect...but if that's not in the cards then...I will just have to settle for maybe the QS at the Poly and hopefully a DisMeet with @chunkymonkey :) instead.

I know a lot of folks have had good luck getting ADRs using the touring plans reservation finder.

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/reservation-finder

My advice if you use it though is to also keep checking back on the Disney site too, just in case. I actually found a reservation on Disney before the reservation finder found it, and I suspect someone else might have snatched it up first if I hadn't.

I agree that a feast at 3:45 probably wouldn't work well for us either. You probably made the right call there.

The thing is though, having never had a park hopper before...not I will be going from park to park so the touring gets a little more complicated....ie: when/where to use your FP+ etc...I will have to do some more research on that...:) But it's all fun right?

For me, where I use FPs depends on which parks I'm doing in what order, and what the general plans are. MK mornings are doable without FPs, especially if you hop to AK or DHS and want to do Tower of Terror, Toy Story, etc...
Or if I know I'm going somewhere at night mainly for their evening show, I'll use FPs at the morning park and have a more relaxed plan in the second park. Epcot evenings are usually without passes because we tend to spend that time in the World Showcase.

We have a system that is great for us now, but it took some work on my part to figure it out.

Also getting ready to move in a couple weeks

Good luck with the move! I hate moving so much. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible!

Thanks for the great tips everyone, especially the experience park hopper tips! I was also debating about that express bus thing...but not sure it's worth the extra money?

Oh, and sunscreen

OMG yes, especially since we are snow white Canadians!!

touring plans reservation finder.

Yes I'm on this...but so far it just keeps coming up with the same 3:45 reservation that I don't really want...oh well.

MK mornings are doable without FPs,

Yeah I think that is a good plan. We are more morning people than night owls!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!