"It's Dinoland, not the Bataan Death March," or Traveling the World with Tweens

tarak

DIS Veteran
I'm drafting this first post during our unexpected drive home from WDW. Our flight back on JetBlue was cancelled by Winter Storm Joe Jonas, so that easy non-stop has turned into fifteen hours in a rented mini-van. My husband has refused to turn over the driving duties to me, so it seemed an opportune time to start a trip report.

The members of our party (besides me) are DH, DD 12, DD11, DS8, and DD3. The dis seems to be having issues uploading pictures from my phone, so the photos will have to wait for just a bit.

Our trip started January 16 at 7:30 in the morning. Our flight didn't leave BWI until 11:30, and we only live about 90 minutes away. But my husband likes to be early. And, really, it's only an extra hour at the airport with four kids, right? How bad could it be?

We arrived at the parking lot a little after 9. The shuttle got us to the airport about ten minutes later. Easy peasy. During the ride, I got no less than three emails from JetBlue notifying me the flight was delayed. When we checked our luggage, we were told fog shut down the airport in Ft. Lauderdale for two hours and that's where our plane was. Oh well, at least we weren't on it when it was diverted to the Bahamas, only to hang out for two hours and fly back to Ft. Lauderdale.

The line at security was very short. Our youngest daughter has a pacemaker, so she can't go through the regular metal detectors. At some point, we can use the full body scanner, but the chances are low that our three-year-old will respond to directions and hold still for more than two seconds. So we get the pat down. Because she's three and TSA, no surprise, doesn't want any YouTube videos of a toddler being patted down, supervisor approval is required. Our luck has been hit and miss calling ahead. Orlando is great - they usually call and give us the name of the agent we need to find. BWI usually waits until we get there and then scrambles to find someone. But we had at least an extra hour to kill. Aria, or Bionic Baby as used to call her, is very proud of the scars on her chest and proceeded to flash them at the TSA agent patting her down. She does this often. She flashed Ariel, too. The TSA agent just said "no, no, no, honey, you don't have to do that." And we were on our way.

More emails and more delays. By the time we boarded our plane, we'd been hanging out at the airport for over five hours. Somewhere around hour one, Aria licked the wall while I was buying her apple juice. By hour three, she was making herself scarves from toilet paper. Toilet paper was clean, by the way. By hour five, I'd have given her a red bull if she'd asked for one, if only it meant we were finally on the plane to Orlando. JetBlue handled it well, and the delay was clearly not their fault. They handed out snacks and water and meal vouchers. DD12 and DS8 tried to use one at Auntie Anne's and got a free pretzel dog for their efforts because the cashier thought they had no money.

We got to our hotel around 6. So it took 10.5 hours of travel time for a two-hour non-stop flight. Before I could even point out that we could have driven in 14 hours, my husband said, "but we wouldn't have been able to walk about during that ten hours." I have vowed to drive next time. He can catch a plane and meet us there.

This post is going to be a review of the hotel we stayed at on the Universal portion of our trip. We had a parlor suite with a connecting room that had two queen beds. The parlor suite had a queen-sized sofa bed. The mattress was better than what you find on your average sofa bed - it was supposed to be memory foam but it felt more like a futon mattress with not much give. I actually found it more comfortable than the regular queen beds. But more on that in a bit. The coffee maker was a kuerig-style. We never had any problems getting extra coffee from housekeeping. Options were green tea, regular, and decaf. Because we arrived so much later than we expected to, we had dinner at the quick service restaurant, Sal's Market. The food was okay - not the most amazing pizza ever, but I'm not really expecting that from a theme park hotel. I think the flat breads at the Disney resorts are more my style because of the thinner crust. The restaurant was fairly small. I did wonder how crowded it must get during the summer months. My son and I decided to explore City walk afterwards and everyone else went to bed early. I don't want this to sound like a US vs. WDW type of report, but it's hard not to compare because we've been to WDW ten times now and this was the first trip to US. I found every cast member at US and the hotel to be very friendly and accommodating.

The resort is beautiful. It really does look just like the pictures. This was the view when we'd come back on the boat at the end of the day. Fair warning about my photography skills - they are more than a bit lackluster.

We had dinner at Mama Della's the second night of our stay and the food was quite good, if just as expensive as Disney (pasta dinners for a family of six, two eating from the kids menu, and my husband and I having one mixed drink each came to over $200). We only made it to the pool one day because it was a bit chilly for swimming. The weather overall has made me re-think traveling in January. That, and the fact that my kids are now at an age where I'm not going to take them out of school anymore. The amount of work they need to make up isn't that bad. But in a few years, it will be. We've been to WDW twice in August. We go the third week, right before our school year starts. And it's never been that bad to me. Yes, it's hot. It's hot in Pennsylvania in August, too. We might not get a month straight of 95 and raining, but it's still hot. And if I'm going to sweat, I'd rather be at Disney than home. At the World, we hit the parks early in the morning, head back to the resort for a few hours at the pool, and go back to the parks at night. It's not all that crowded, and we can take advantage of those pools we like so much.

But back to PBH - I'm not sure which pool we used. We didn't explore the resort that much. The pool was very nice. Having kids that range in age from 3 to 12, I tend to review pools based on visibility. Can I sit on a lounger and see everyone? Haven't found the pool yet where that is the answer. But I could fairly easily keep track of everyone. I was swimming with the three-year-old, and the other kids are all good swimmers. The pool slide was closed, so I can't comment on that. The hot tub was full of other kids. I like that. Granted, I have four kids, so a child-free vacation is something I can only dream about. But if I wanted to travel and not see kids, I wouldn't pick Orlando for my vacation destination. All the kids were well-behaved and no adults complained about their presence. Actually, there were no other adults in the hot tub. Looking back, I was the only adult in the pool, too. Everyone who appeared to be a parental unit was hanging out next to the pool, wearing long pants and a hoodie. It really wasn't that bad. The pool was supposed to be heated to 80 degrees. I believe that part. It was warm as long as I was in the water. My husband, for his part, got a margarita in a re-usable glass. First drink was $15, second and subsequent was $10. I'm not sure if this is a lifetime discount or not. I'm half tempted to take it back in May and see what the charge is.

So the beds. I'm only 45 and not exactly decrepit. Yeah, I have joint issues, thanks to a stupid auto-immune disorder. But the beds were so soft that, by the end of our three days there, I was in pain. It wasn't a bad bed. Not lumpy, not cheap. Just too soft for me. One night, DH and I kicked the older girls out of the foldout and slept marginally better. DD12 and DD11 said the queen bed was awful, too. Maybe we're just firm bed sorts of people. At any rate, it made me seriously consider whether I could stay there again for the trip I'm planning in May.

The walk to US/IOA. Not bad at all. Rarely did we all walk or boat together. Some wanted to walk (usually me) and others wanted the boat. The boats came regularly. But there were times the walkers made it back before the boaters. Honestly, it didn't bother me in the slightest. We did have a stroller with us. You don't have to fold the stroller up for the boat. However, I say that knowing we were there in January and the crowds are low. In August, when you've got a packed boat, you might need to. I usually walked with the stroller, because it was just easy. I don't know that I appreciated how close everything is there at US. I'd considered the HRH at one point, so we walked through that resort on our way back to PBH one night. I'm glad I went with PBH. HRH just had a busier and louder feel to it. Were I twenty years younger, my answer would probably have been different. Of course, twenty years ago, the type of accommodations I could afford are, quite frankly, terrifying to think about now. So there is that.

Next up - introductions and day one.

Following along! DH and I arrived Jan. 15th (leaving the kids home this time :thumbsup2 ) That was a loooong time in the airport on your way down :( But better delayed than cancelled. We were delayed an hour flying out of White Plains and just sitting there that extra 60 mins. drove me crazy lol.

I know your 15 hour drive most likely wasn't a piece of cake, but I'd take that distance to WDW over our 24 hours! If our drive was 15 hours I might be able to convince DH to try it sometime........

I'm with you on the joint issues. 45 (in a few weeks) and auto-immune disease, here :wave2:

joining in - sorry to hear about all the flight issues. 5 hours at an airport with 4 kids does not sound like the best time ever, but at least you made it safe and seems like JetBlue was doing their best to make it up to you. Hope the drive back wasn't too bad.

I wonder if they have different mattress options - you can't be the only person who prefers firm mattresses :confused3

Following along! DH and I arrived Jan. 15th (leaving the kids home this time :thumbsup2 ) That was a loooong time in the airport on your way down :( But better delayed than cancelled. We were delayed an hour flying out of White Plains and just sitting there that extra 60 mins. drove me crazy lol.

I know your 15 hour drive most likely wasn't a piece of cake, but I'd take that distance to WDW over our 24 hours! If our drive was 15 hours I might be able to convince DH to try it sometime........

I'm with you on the joint issues. 45 (in a few weeks) and auto-immune disease, here :wave2:

Welcome!

The drive was actually not that bad. Granted, my husband drove all of it because once he started, he just didn't want to stop. But the kids were bizarrely well-behaved. Maybe they were too tired to complain. The last time all six of us flew, we had a layover in Atlanta that was delayed a few hours. When one leg takes over ten hours, it doesn't make sense to me to fly. The trick is figuring out how to work the driving time into vacation. I'd have a hard time taking that many days off in a row.

joining in - sorry to hear about all the flight issues. 5 hours at an airport with 4 kids does not sound like the best time ever, but at least you made it safe and seems like JetBlue was doing their best to make it up to you. Hope the drive back wasn't too bad.

I wonder if they have different mattress options - you can't be the only person who prefers firm mattresses :confused3

Welcome!

I was chatting with a friend and fellow Disney addict and she said her niece was able to get some off the egg crate foam at one of the Disney resorts when she had trouble sleeping. I might have to try that next trip. Although I have to say, the soft bed was amazing compared to the fold out bed at the Marriot we stopped at in Charlotte. Holy cow. It was springs covered with a thin layer of nylon. I pulled it out and made the youngest ones sleep on it. Didn't bother them in the slightest. I think I'd still be hurting.

So this is the family. We'll go from youngest to oldest.

This is Aria, a/k/a Bionic Baby. She's no longer a baby, obviously. But Bionic Kid or Toddler doesn't have that nice alliterative ring to it. This photo was snapped around hour three of our stay in the JetBlue side of BWI. At that point, she'd already licked the wall while I was buying her apple juice at the Dunkin' Donuts and screamed bloody murder when I tried (unsuccessfully) to get a pink sparkle out of her right eye. When I took this photo, she'd started making scarves out of toilet paper. It was clean - I have to make that clear. By the time we boarded the plane, I'd probably have given her a Red Bull if she asked for one.

My son, Liam. I try to get a picture of him with the snake statues at DHS every trip. It's fun to see how he's grown. He has a wicked sense of humor, but he can also be very sweet. He'll ride the kiddie carousel at Hershey Park with his baby sister so she doesn't have to go alone (even though he thinks it's completely lame). He also has mad Lego-building skills. He has vowed to clean the cat box and feed the cats every day so he can earn money to buy one of those big-ticket sets the next time we're at Disney Springs.

My middle daughter, Teagan. Her quote of "Why the early morning breakfast? Why?" was in close contention for the thread title. She is my quirky kid. Her sixth birthday party was themed My Little Pony versus Godzilla. She's going to be awarded her black belt in karate in a few weeks and I'm stupid proud of her (we're a big karate family - my husband and oldest daughter are also black belts).

And Amara. Or Thing One. Love her to death, but she's the reason for the thread title. She's smiling here because 1) it's the Knight Bus, 2) her siblings are nowhere nearby, and 3) it was her idea to take the picture.

Me. This is an old photo, but it's not too far off from the truth. I think this was taken at Tokyo Dining.

Somewhere on my computer is a photo of my husband all by his lonesome, but photobucket was being wacky tonight, so these will have to suffice. My husband is very tolerant of my love for Disney. While he can only handle going down every few years, he lets me plan away to my heart's content. I'm quite lucky in that regard.

Hi there, just found your TR. Wow, bad luck with flights for this trip. We lucked out that our trip was the weekend before Jonas. Friends of ours actually left for Disney a day early because of the expected storm and had to fly Harrisburg to Detroit to Atlanta to Orlando! :crazy2:

Love the TR title!

Hi there, just found your TR. Wow, bad luck with flights for this trip. We lucked out that our trip was the weekend before Jonas. Friends of ours actually left for Disney a day early because of the expected storm and had to fly Harrisburg to Detroit to Atlanta to Orlando! :crazy2:

Love the TR title!

Yikes! Initially, our flight was just disrupted, not cancelled, and the jetblue app was saying an update would come in two hours. I should have jumped at changing things right then, but by Saturday morning the first flight available was Tuesday, leaving at 9:30 am, and flying to Boston before heading to BWI. That would have been a dream compared to having two connections. I keep hoping we'll get another non-stop carrier at HIA to MCO. They never seem to last even though the flights are always packed. Did you see the news that an Allegiant flight coming back from Orlando blew two tires when it landed in Harrisburg?

Edit - the plane was landing at Lehigh Valley airport, not Harrisburg.

Last edited:
Enjoying your thread.
The 'scarf' reminds me of when my daughter was 3, she liked to get a clean piece of toilet paper from an airplane bathroom, put one end in her pocket and call it a snake......

Yikes! Initially, our flight was just disrupted, not cancelled, and the jetblue app was saying an update would come in two hours. I should have jumped at changing things right then, but by Saturday morning the first flight available was Tuesday, leaving at 9:30 am, and flying to Boston before heading to BWI. That would have been a dream compared to having two connections. I keep hoping we'll get another non-stop carrier at HIA to MCO. They never seem to last even though the flights are always packed. Did you see the news that an Allegiant flight coming back from Orlando blew two tires when it landed in Harrisburg?

Edit - the plane was landing at Lehigh Valley airport, not Harrisburg.

I know, I keep hoping a direct MCO flight will come back someday. I did see that about the Allegiant flight! Scary, but good news that there were no injuries. We're flying Allegiant in May so I'm just going to knock back some drinks and watch a movie and try to forget I'm on a plane. :)

That sounds like a good plan. I absolutely hate flying and would drink more if I didn't have kids with me. Don't want to be drunk mom. Or have people think I'm drunk mom. Sometimes it's more about looking like a bad parent than being a bad parent.

Enjoying your thread.
The 'scarf' reminds me of when my daughter was 3, she liked to get a clean piece of toilet paper from an airplane bathroom, put one end in her pocket and call it a snake......
That's awesome. Kids at that age are so funny. I think it's what keeps us from leaving them out with the recycling at times. Or maybe that's just me.

Day 1.

US had early entry, so we could go in at 8, instead of 9. We had picked up our express passes the night before. It was a piece of cake. The lobby of the hotel had four (I think) machines that looked like ATMs. You would swipe your room key, smile for the camera, and print our your express pass. This is going to be a bit of a WDW vs US post, in regards to park entry. To get into the parks at Universal, you had to carry three things. Your room key, to show you were eligible for early entry. Your park ticket, which you had to keep ready and available if you had park-to-park and wanted to ride the Hogwarts Express, and your express pass, if you wanted to skip the lines. The magic bands pretty much kill that process. Still, that's a first world problem, if ever I heard of one.

Any way. We weren't really moving quickly that first day, so we only made it into Diagon Alley around 8:45. The line for Escape from Gringott's was about 45 minutes. DH and DD12 got in line, while I explored the area with the rest of the kids. I have to echo what I've heard from other folks - US has absolutely nailed the Harry Potter aspects of the park. It helps that you enter the area through the side of a building, so once you're in, you don't see the rest of the park. The CMs were all fantastic. DD11 and DS8 wanted the interactive wands, so we picked those up. We did the wand shop attraction and it was pretty cool. The first girl who was chosen was borderline terrified at having been picked, so the wand master (if that's what he's called) chose another girl. We had breakfast at the Leaky Cauldron. My kids are not overly adventurous when it comes to breakfast, so they stuck with the pancake breakfasts. I got the traditional American breakfast and shared it with the toddler. It was fine. Honestly - how great are scrambled eggs going to taste at a theme park? I do wish we'd gone back for lunch. That's a note for future reference, because Scotch eggs are one of the best foods ever devised by man. I think you can show your AAA card and get a discount, but I was too distracted to remember that. I like the way they've set up the process for eating there, too. It's quick service, but you stand in line for a while, then get directed to a line for the purpose of ordering. Once you've ordered, you stand in another line to get seated. Maybe when the parks are mobbed, it doesn't work so well. But for a three-day weekend in January, it was great. No wandering aimlessly looking for a table, or sending your kids to squat at one and hope a CM doesn't make them leave (I'm looking at you, WDW).

We walked through Knockturn Alley, which completely freaked out the toddler, and had fun with some of the interactive wand areas. I never did get around to trying Butterbeer. I'm not a huge fan of butterscotch. While DD12 insisted it wasn't overly butterscotch-flavored, when I did think about trying it, the line was at least thirty people deep.

Once DD12 and DH rejoined us, I tried the single ride line for Escape from Gringott's, but for whatever reason, it was taking forever. I figured we'd just try again in the morning. Get there right at 8 and make a beeline for that. Spoiler - it was totally worth it.

I'll follow up with the non-HP stuff later. Kids are demanding we do something else for this day besides vacuum, fold laundry, and clean guinea cages.

crazy how long the line gets even with just people with the early entry - but I guess everyone eligible heads right there

Sounds like a nice process for the counter service - I hate having to squat a table or hover over people hoping they finish eating soon. It seems like at a few CS Disney is trying to do something like that - but they weren't built for it so it doesn't work so well. Hopefully they make it better with any new places

Speaking new places - I really hope the coming Star Wars land is as immersive as HP and, like you said, when you are inside it you can't see the rest of the park

Wow, can't believe the line was 45 minutes that early for Escape from Gringotts! We went last August, week before LD. Didn't stay on property so no early entry but got there about 8:30 for 9:00 opening and they let us in about 8:50. Walked on Gringotts 2 mornings that had early entry and later in the day, longest wait was 25 minutes!!

Great ride though, right ::yes::

I agree, the theming of the whole area is fabulous.

I'm jealous; we haven't been back to Universal since 2011 so we definitely need to get there to see all the new stuff. You are so right; their HP theming is incredible and very immersive.

crazy how long the line gets even with just people with the early entry - but I guess everyone eligible heads right there

Sounds like a nice process for the counter service - I hate having to squat a table or hover over people hoping they finish eating soon. It seems like at a few CS Disney is trying to do something like that - but they weren't built for it so it doesn't work so well. Hopefully they make it better with any new places

Speaking new places - I really hope the coming Star Wars land is as immersive as HP and, like you said, when you are inside it you can't see the rest of the park

I agree with you about SW land. They need to make you feel like you're in that universe. I think Universal did a great job with Jurassic Park, too. Of course, the whole idea is it's a theme park. But they have a "raptor encounter" that was a ton of fun (I actually have pictures for that one). And the climbing area/playground kills the Boneyard. Not to make this too WDW vs. Universal. I know I could go to Orlando, see WDW and skip Universal, but I don't think I could go down there just for Universal. There are definitely pluses and minuses to both places. Maybe I've just been stuck once too often in the Boneyard for half-an-hour with a toddler who wants to do nothing else but dump water from the drinking fountain over her head. I think it's supposed to be closed in May. That would be nice.

I'm not a big fan of the movie Avatar, but I have high hopes for that section of AK once it opens. From a thematic perspective, AK is my favorite park, since the details are so amazing, and I can really believe I'm not in Orlando. Well, except maybe Dinoland. I don't despise Dinoland like my oldest daughter does. Maybe because it makes me think of Roadside America. But I don't feel the need to be immersed in Roadside America, either.

Wow, can't believe the line was 45 minutes that early for Escape from Gringotts! We went last August, week before LD. Didn't stay on property so no early entry but got there about 8:30 for 9:00 opening and they let us in about 8:50. Walked on Gringotts 2 mornings that had early entry and later in the day, longest wait was 25 minutes!!

Great ride though, right ::yes::

I agree, the theming of the whole area is fabulous.

I wasn't sure what the crowds would be like. The day we got there at 8, we walked right on Gringott's. By the afternoon, Hogsmeade was mobbed. Granted, it was the Sunday of a three-day holiday weekend. I just had to get out of there. I didn't get a chance to ride HP and the Forbidden Journey. I'm going to try it, though, when I'm back in May. I'm hoping a random Thursday in the beginning of the month will have lower crowds.

I'm jealous; we haven't been back to Universal since 2011 so we definitely need to get there to see all the new stuff. You are so right; their HP theming is incredible and very immersive.

I was surprised how much I liked Universal. The last time I'd been to a Universal park was some time back in the early 90's, and that would have been in Southern California. It's not that I didn't like it, I just didn't really care other than seeing the HP side of things. But I really liked the other rides we tried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter