It has begun...my vacation style is evolving.

Our Disney vacations definitely changed once we got DVC. We enjoy it more now and they feel more relaxed. We have considered not doing parks....but I guess we’re not there yet.

Does this touring plan require APs? Just trying to budget my evolving vacations accordingly.

Depends, we purchased 10 day non-expiring tickets years ago, enough to last long after I go to mickey heaven! :thumbsup2

:earsboy: Bill

I agree! We are new dvc owners.. just came back from a trip where I took my cousin and her son and they are rope drop park commandos becuase they don't get to go as often etc. But, she looked miserable.. she won't admit it though... I do understand.. trying to do as much as possible, get your money's worth... I kept up pretty well.... but I am looking forward to a leisure trip at some point. I felt like we were running a race!! Get to this fast pass, squeeze this in real quick, oh that line is short, let's traverse the park to make it real quick! We still had a blast but exhausted is what I am!! We had no rest days in between but we did take a rest from 4 on our epcot day and hung at the pool... that helped.

We are going again with them in 2020, I have to figure out how to seperate myself more.. but I want to be with them... oh well, I just may have to opt out of some things!!
We traveled with friends like this in January. I was very clear before we left that we would maintain our usual touring style, while they were of course free to tour however they pleased. We’d start the day together, and I’d take my kids back midday to the resort. Worked out fine.

I agree! We are new dvc owners.. just came back from a trip where I took my cousin and her son and they are rope drop park commandos becuase they don't get to go as often etc. But, she looked miserable.. she won't admit it though... I do understand.. trying to do as much as possible, get your money's worth... I kept up pretty well.... but I am looking forward to a leisure trip at some point. I felt like we were running a race!! Get to this fast pass, squeeze this in real quick, oh that line is short, let's traverse the park to make it real quick! We still had a blast but exhausted is what I am!! We had no rest days in between but we did take a rest from 4 on our epcot day and hung at the pool... that helped.

We are going again with them in 2020, I have to figure out how to seperate myself more.. but I want to be with them... oh well, I just may have to opt out of some things!!

Just reading that sounds exhausting! I was exhausted just from the heat and humidity this time in June. I've been spoiled with going during April or May so the weather has got me beat. There was no way I could survive commando touring style anymore...my body just can't keep up and my brain doesn't want to either.

With your next trip with your cousin, maybe do certain park days with them and just tell them that you want to take some rest days but you can meet up for a meal or something.

After 14 years of ownership and many more years as "visitor" ... I'm a hybrid. We've always scheduled "non-park days" into our travel plan. We've also had "non-park trips" ... but on the park days ... we work it hard from early to late. If I'm paying for a park day I want to get everything out of it. Borrowing from a non-Disney song, "I don't want easy, I want crazy."

(FWIW, we rarely have WDW APs. We have just one day remaining on a non-expiring ticket we purchased back in 2003. So ... less park days all around, I s'pose.)

We are getting there. We still rope drop a park everyday but we are definitely scheduling more down time every trip. Prior to May, our last time at the waterparks was the year 2000. This past May we took the kids to BB. Next trip we will be trying TL. My DS9 and I have started golfing on every trip. We have done Oak Trail, LBV and have a tee time at Magnolia for our next trip. We are also going to try the Foot Golf next trip since it is included with our PAP's. We are staying at the Poly on our next trip and have a decent chunk of resort time planned as well. We don't have any non-park days but we have plenty of time planned for non-park activities.

My daughter is 3 now. I’m expecting water parks are going to start playing a much bigger role in our planning.

I may be counting this wrong, and am not including shows in my count, but isn't there only 15 rides in Epcot and HS combined right now? Many of them are top notch rides, but for someone who has been there three times in the past 2 years, and 4 more trips planned for the upcoming year (wow, I'm spoiled), I find myself a lot more excited about checking out the hotels than going to the parks from dawn 'till dusk. I love that DVC ownership will allow me to tell my kids "yes" if they want to keep playing in the pool in the afternoon, even if that means we will miss an evening fastpass, because I know I can just hop on that ride during my next trip down.

I love that DVC ownership will allow me to tell my kids "yes" if they want to keep playing in the pool in the afternoon, even if that means we will miss an evening fastpass, because I know I can just hop on that ride during my next trip down.
yes, no rush, no stress, relaxation, the true meaning of vacation!

We have changed as well. Not so much when we have the kids with us. They use to take naps in their strollers while we rolled around the parks when they were younger. Now as middle school kids, they are all commando and we follow behind. But when we go without them, my wife often suggests it's too hot and crowded, we should head to one of the resort bars after lunch. She has me at "Day Drinking" every time.

We had already started touring at a more relaxed pace in the last few years before buying DVC, so it was an easy decision for us to buy. It was great as a couple to take it easy and enjoy the pools and signature restaurants (especially with being sore after running races), and now with a little one I think the pace really helps keep him happy and well rested. We're fine with changing up our plans or canceling FPs depending on how we're feeling. So glad we can now stay in nicer and roomier accommodations than before without paying cash rates (love the full kitchen, washer/dryer, and split/additional bath)!

We were at WDW from June 9 through June 16th. There were 13 of us (counting the little one) in our OKW grand villa. With 13 people I would say there were 4 distinct touring styles. My brother and his family (wife, son, daughter, daughters BF) were open to close commandos. His daughter in law was more of a two to three park hours a day is plenty (granted she is pregnant and has a 2 year old as well) My DS16 and his friend were sleep until 2 pm but don't come back to the villa until 2 am. My mom did whatever she wanted. DW, DW7 and I hit our fastpasses, made more fastpasses, ate churros, hung out at the pool, never roped dropped and never closed a park and I think everyone had a ball. The point to this ramble was that there are lots of ways to tour.

Our vaation style changed once we had our daughter...but before that we were at the parks all day every day!

67 here -- still ride the coasters. Not at rope drop, but can't stop going to the parks. Only time I spent more time at resort was in May, when I got drenched to the underwear, wearing a raincoat (not a poncho) at Epcot. Was able to ask myself if I was having fun, and the answer was "no." Actually missed the F & G topiaries which were focus of visit.

Someone please teach me how to stay at resort!!

Eep....early 30s and you already lost your rope drop mojo? I am 49 and I plan to be there at rope drop this fall....while we don’t have the Dumbo or Die trip planning we used to, that only dropped off in our 40s. We actually love an adult beverage vacation, but with all the stimulation at WDW we tend not to partake as much....not sure how Tower of Terror would go over after being on the sauce.

Depends, we purchased 10 day non-expiring tickets years ago, enough to last long after I go to mickey heaven! :thumbsup2

:earsboy: Bill

You have just proven your brilliance!

Oh how I miss non-exp tickets. We still have water park options that may last us until we die, but no park days! lol

We have totally changed. We went from rope drop to fireworks to let’s eat have a couple drinks and skip the parks today.

We are at that point!

Used to do rope drop to park close, every meal in the parks.

This time we are going into the parka for a few hours a day, and will have some groceries in the room for the down time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter