Is this supposed to be a DVC 'benefit'?

I like getting the best value for my money. Buying resale was an easy call for me. Although it was more time consuming and a little more complicated than buying directly from Disney, it was approximately 40 percent less expensive. For me, it was well worth the waiting and somewhat inconvenient process.

After purchasing our first resale contract, we added 25 points directly from Disney. I'm glad we did. Those points were easy to buy - I simply put them on a credit card over the phone. They were available instantly, and provided us access to a number of perks that, for me, were worth the cost. We were able to purchase Gold Annual Passes - which we upgraded to Platinum Plus passes for free. The annual passes gave us free parking on days we were off property, Photopass, and lots of dining and merchandise discounts. We also had access to the Top of the World Lounge, which was a great place to see the new fireworks. We attended two Moonlight Magic events at Typhoon Lagoon, which were great. We also enjoyed a couple of short breaks at the Epcot member lounge and a somewhat overpriced Dessert/Fireworks package at the Contemporary on July 3rd. Near the end of our stay, DVC offered a 30 percent d6iscounts at certain resort restaurants - including Olivia's at OKW - which was very nice. I may have had access to some of those perks without buying any points directly, but it was nice not to have to think about it.

In all, I'm glad we purchased the direct points. People may throw shade on the perks, and I know they are not guaranteed forever, but I'm glad I have them and would recommend buying a small number of direct points to my friends and family.

You seem to live fairly local so this makes sense. For me, I only travel every 2 years (3000 miles away, but that's not really the reason, for our main vacation which costs us $15k - 20k we like to do one year on, one year off Florida, we are from UK) so APs are no good, and I don't really buy merchandise. I'd never be there at a Moonlight Magic event. Restaurants giving DVC discount are fairly limited. In fact we normally go end of August and the Orlando Magical Dining event this year which includes numerous Disney restaurants (no coincidence the ones being offered to DVC at 30% off, business is clearly slow at these) seems a better deal than any of these discounts. BTW your resale contract would have got you in TOTWL.

We also had access to the Top of the World Lounge, which was a great place to see the new fireworks.

Unless I missed something, this "perk" is still available to those who buy on the resale market. Please let me know if this has changed.
Thanks
Mike

Unless I missed something, this "perk" is still available to those who buy on the resale market. Please let me know if this has changed.
Thanks
Mike
It has not changed. It specifically says on your digital membership card that you have access to TOTWL.

based on what I've read, the only real negative to being a 'lesser being' is the loss of the discount on the AP pass and the dining discount, am I missing something? Do you guys get a special handshake or tote bag that the low class like myself miss? :worship:

The DVC member events they've been doing this year are pretty cool, but only if you happen to be in Orlando at the right time. Otherwise, yes I would say the AP pass loss is the "worst" loss, with the dining discount being only of marginal benefit as you can get as good a dining discount with an AP, or an even better discount with TIW. (Though I guess I am not sure if resale DVC can still but TIW - does anyone know this?)

There is a tote bag. I will wave it in everyone's face since I am now a superior being!

Going back to OP's original question, I have seen groups from this board get together and rent a boat for a fireworks cruise and share the cost - I think if you fill the boat, the cost goes down quite a bit per person.

We've done this twice for Illuminations cruises - there's a thread for boat shares on the main page. You can bring the cost down to about $40 a person if you fill the boat with 10 people. At $40-50 a person the Illuminations cruise is well worth it - only problem is you get completely spoiled to ever watch Illuminations again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter