Is renting DVC points a good deal?

msvlg

Mouseketeer
Is renting DVC points a good deal for a large family?We will be traveling to Disney again in April 2010 with 7 adults and 2 children (age 7) . How does that work? I'm trying to decide if it would be more cost effective to rent dvc points maybe a 2 bedroom villa and a studio or a three bedroom villa or just book three separate rooms a a moderate like Coronado Springs. We do not want to stay at a value. I have never rented points before after reading up on the villas Beachclub or OKW both sound nice. What are the advantages of renting points as I have never done this before.any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We love renting points. This past may we stayed in a two bedroom all together one night with 7 adults and one child, it was kind of cramped, but since it was a weekend night we wanted to save a little extra money and not get the studio until the next day. We had a studio and a two bedroom for the rest of the trip. They were right across the hall from each other, so it was nice that we weren't far away. When we originally planned to go, my dad got a price quote from our travel agent for 3 rooms at a value for the length of our trip, renting points was actually the same price for the trip as staying at the value would have been. Depending on how far in advance you plan, I would try and get a Grand Villa at OKW, otherwise get a two bedroom and a studio. It was nice that everyone had their own space after our first night.

We have done it twice now and are looking at it again for December. I think it is an amazing deal! You get to stay deluxe for a fraction of the price. If you want to see your savings just go to Disney's website and put the same room type in and see what price you come up with.

The advantage is the cost savings. The disadvantage is the savings is good on stays Sunday through Thursday night, points go way up on Friday and Saturday on DVC stays therefore so does your cost.

The DVC member is in control of your reservation and very few offer any refund for cancelling. If you know you will not cancel then it can be a huge savings.

You will not get daily housekeeping, some do not care, others do.

Any requests, or if you wish to get the DDP, the member will have do this, you can not contact member services yourself.

I would go to the Rent/Trade forum and read the FAQs.

You have missed the booking at 11 months, so I am not sure you will be able to get a Grand Villa especially during Spring Break.

I've rented twice now and it's a great savings. Both times I've rented from DISboard friends who I have 'known' for a couple of years. I probably would be leary of renting from a stranger, but I know lots of people do it.

I get to stay at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge in SIX WEEKS :woohoo:This time as a guest of the DVC owner who is a good friend. :hug:

We are taking our first family trip in a couple months, after doing quite a bit of research we opted to rent points. It was VERY easy, and a huge cost savings compared to the disney site rates. We are staying Sun-Thurs nights so like a pp said no weekend nights mean a huge savings overall. It is not refundable so fingers crossed no emergency comes up where we would have to cancel!

I used to rent points from others until I became a member. Take a look at the Treehouse Villas at SSRS! That's definately where I would stay if I had a big bunch going!!

Have a great trip!

We did it in April and we had a great experience! I would do it again, and I am hoping to find someone who is trustworthy to rent from for our December trip. We just decided last night that we would go again in December!!:yay:

We did it in April and we had a great experience! I would do it again, and I am hoping to find someone who is trustworthy to rent from for our December trip. We just decided last night that we would go again in December!!:yay:

Sorry to say, but I'd bet you will have a hard time finding anything available for December. Maybe you'll be lucky, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter