Is Planning a Summer 2021 Trip Crazy??

PurpleKomodo

Mouseketeer
We have been talking about wanting to head back to WDW in 2021 for the 50th. Is this crazy town? We always travel during the summer because I am a school employee and will have a school aged kiddo by then. I know crowds will be worse, but will it be unbearable?? Has anyone else traveled for a big anniversary year when special events are happening?

We have been talking about wanting to head back to WDW in 2021 for the 50th. Is this crazy town? We always travel during the summer because I am a school employee and will have a school aged kiddo by then. I know crowds will be worse, but will it be unbearable?? Has anyone else traveled for a big anniversary year when special events are happening?
Short answer: yes, it will be crazy. It's an anniversary year, it's summer, and lots and lots of the new attractions will be open.

BUUTTT, if that's the only feasible time for you to go... :confused3 With pre-planning, patience, and lots of breaks during the day to cool off, I think you could still have a nice trip. :wizard:

Not crazy at all. There are MILLIONS of people planning the same thing. But you know BETTER already because you're on the DIS. Plan, prepare, and you'll be just fine! There's nothing like a special celebration year at WDW.

It's gonna be nuts, that's for sure. The real anniversary would be in October (after summer) but who knows what Disney will do to commemorate the event/maximize every possible opportunity. As MrsDuck says they will have lots of new attractions up & running so it'll likely be crazy for a year or more. I believe the the max advance for room reservations is 499 days, you might want to mark your calendar for that. :earsboy:

As of right now, we will be there, too!

I am also wondering if we are crazy. We told the kids we will be back in 4 years, not realizing it will be the 50th. Now, my kids don't remember me telling them to clean their rooms 10 minutes ago, but they remember that daddy said we would go back to WDW in 4 years (we were on the boat after Hoop De Doo... ; they probably remember what we were all wearing, weather conditions, etc.)

It may be crazy but you'll have plenty of company. We just went and I don't plan to go back again until summer of 2020 or '21.

When does everyone think the official celebration will start/end? I could see them doing May 2021-October 2022. With the actual anniversary date being October 1st I feel like it's harder to predict than DL. It would be weird to wait until October and only get 3 months out of 2021, but I could also see them doing that to give them longer to get all the attractions open they want open for the 50th. I know for DL they wanted to make sure no rides were on refurb for the 60th (though they did obviously close some things on the tail end of it.)

The parks will be crazy but YOU are not crazy. I'm already planning a girls only trip with my sister for 2021 specifically because it's the 50th anniversary

I'll be there probably a couple of times throughout the year, so come and join us - the crazies!! I was there during the 25th (heck yes, I have a picture of myself in front of the birthday cake castle to prove it!) and it wasn't crazy. But crowds in general weren't as big then as they are now. As others have said, with solid planning, knowing your must-do's, etc., you'll be fine.

Went to Disneyland for the 50th! When planning months in advance, I didn't even realize it. I blame it on the fact that it was before my internet planning addiction!
We saw Julie Andrews and Arnold Schwartzenagger (SP?). He was governor at the time. We also got golden Mickey ears that I have saved.
It was a once in a lifetime event. At first when I found out it was the 50th I was bummed knowing it would be mobbed. But once we were there I was so glad we went.
I say go for it!
I might start thinking about it as well since we were at Disneyland for the 50th- hmmmmmm....

We are planning to go back in 2018 or 2019 then getting AP for 2021 so we can visit multiple times during the 50th anniversary. DH is not a Disney fan but he loves SW and he's willing to do it for this special occasion. So far, I want to do a trip during Halloween season, just before Christmas (and then spend Christmas with my parents in Ft Lauderdale), marathon weekend to maybe run my first run, Spring break and summer.... I am starting now to accumulate Airmiles (Canadian reward program) to get 'free' WDW tickets that I will then upgrade to annual passes so we can save a little on that...

Never too early, but don't think about crowds only. A lot can happen in 4 years. Maybe there will be more kiddos by then, maybe different jobs, maybe you will move to a different city/state/country, etc.

There are too many factors that can change your plans, but when it comes to saving up for a special trip, it is never too early.

How soon can you start booking rooms for 2021? We are planning a large once in a lifetime family event for the 50th and want to know when we can start booking? I know it's generally around 400 days (or something close) but I remember for New Years Eve 1999 they were allowing you to book years in advance. I know it's a long way away but I really want to get the rooms down and then the rest of the planning can fall in place.

We will be there sometime during that year. We were there for our Honeymoon in 1991, their 20th. Were also there in 2001 for the 30th, 2011 for the 40th and last year for the 45th (our 25th). Planning on being there sometime in the Fall of 2021 for their 50th and our 30th Anniversary.

I was in Disneyland for the end of the 60th and it was awesome! I was also in WDW for the 45th but I'm not sure if that's a true "biggie." I don't think you're crazy at all! It may be crazy there but I think that's when you go into it with a laid back mindset and maybe less rigid plans that are more free flowing and give more options. I myself am planning an Oct 2021 trip for the 50th and am already bracing for the crazy. If I survived MK NYE, I bet I can do this! I think you are smart to be planning from now because it will be hectic. Go for it!

WDW and I both turn 50 in October of 2021 so you can bet that DW, DS7 and I will be there. I can't really speak for DS15 as that remains to be seen. The kids usually get a break in October in my wife's school system so if she is still there we will go in October.

We will be there!! Being DVC it is a given that a trip is a yearly or every other year thing but I want to be able to bank and borrow points and be as flexible as possible with resort location choices to ensure we will be in our preferred area with as many family and friends as we can get to come with and enjoy this celebration with us!

To me it is crazy to start planning a trip that is 4 years away. Otherwise, I don't think there is anything wrong with going in 2021. A lot of us regular people don't care about the 50th, it doesn't mean anything special to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!