Is on-property worth it?

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
I'm starting my initial planning for my trip to Paris next August for the Gay Games. Right now my plan is to be in Paris proper from 8/3-10 (when my competition will be plus time for sightseeing around Paris) in an AirBnB-type setting. I'm then thinking I'll move over to Disneyland Paris property and stay in an on-property resort for 8/10-13.

As soon as I put this on my page on the book of faces, someone (who admits she is not a Disney-phile) was all "Don't bother staying on property. And you really don't need that many days. It's just one park." (So I already know that she doesn't have all the info.)

So I figured I'd come over here and see what the thoughts are. What are the advantages to staying on property? What would I lose (in addition to money and time traveling back and forth) if I just got the flat rental for the whole length of time (really not leaning towards this as I want to spend as much time in the parks as I can). Is 2.5-ish days a good amount of time for the parks at that time of year?

Thanks in advance!!

It depends what you want. There is the half way house of not staying on property but staying in the vicinity rather than in Paris itself. To be honest the on property hotels are so close to the parks it's really like staying in a deluxe at WDW from a convenience point of view, walkable to the parks ... but you will pay for the convenience! There are around 8 other hotels that are a bus ride away - of a similar length to staying at a value at WDW. If you stay in Paris you're a 40 minute train ride away.

I wouldn't stay in Paris. We were there last August in the time frame you describe, and just got back yesterday from another visit. I'd say the 2.5 days would be enough :). If you don't stay on property you lose extra Magic hours, but these are extremely limited. You get Peter Pan, Dumbo, the Carousel and the tea cups in Fantasyland. Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear and the Orbitron.

We have stayed both on and off property but increasingly tend to stay off. Last week we stayed in the hipark serris. It's 20 minute easy walk through to the parks, a five minute walk to the shopping mall and outlet village and gives us a taste of France as well as Disney!

It depends what you want. There is the half way house of not staying on property but staying in the vicinity rather than in Paris itself. To be honest the on property hotels are so close to the parks it's really like staying in a deluxe at WDW from a convenience point of view, walkable to the parks ... but you will pay for the convenience! There are around 8 other hotels that are a bus ride away - of a similar length to staying at a value at WDW. If you stay in Paris you're a 40 minute train ride away.

I wouldn't stay in Paris. We were there last August in the time frame you describe, and just got back yesterday from another visit. I'd say the 2.5 days would be enough :). If you don't stay on property you lose extra Magic hours, but these are extremely limited. You get Peter Pan, Dumbo, the Carousel and the tea cups in Fantasyland. Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear and the Orbitron.

We have stayed both on and off property but increasingly tend to stay off. Last week we stayed in the hipark serris. It's 20 minute easy walk through to the parks, a five minute walk to the shopping mall and outlet village and gives us a taste of France as well as Disney!

Thanks. Is is safe to walk at night? I'd be by myself. I mean, I am two tests away from being a black belt in taekwondo, but I'd rather NOT have to use that skill set if I don't have to, you know? :)

Thanks. Is is safe to walk at night? I'd be by myself. I mean, I am two tests away from being a black belt in taekwondo, but I'd rather NOT have to use that skill set if I don't have to, you know? :)
It's well lit, and in August it's light till around 10pm, but if you wait for the fireworks and don't leave till 11pm it would be darker. Me and my gf have walked it in November at 10pm but we weren't on our own (nor are we skilled at martial arts ;) )... there is a shuttle bus you can take if at any point you didn't want to walk it ... we used it to get there when we arrived at the station as it was 33 degrees and we didn't feel like dragging our cases. The shuttle bus was very reliable.

It's well lit, and in August it's light till around 10pm, but if you wait for the fireworks and don't leave till 11pm it would be darker. Me and my gf have walked it in November at 10pm but we weren't on our own (nor are we skilled at martial arts ;) )... there is a shuttle bus you can take if at any point you didn't want to walk it ... we used it to get there when we arrived at the station as it was 33 degrees and we didn't feel like dragging our cases. The shuttle bus was very reliable.

Thank you so much!! I'm so excited!! Between a Greek Isles cruise in July (with brief visit to Rome beforehand) and the Games and DLP in Paris in August, next summer is going to be EPIC!

I would always recommend staying onsite at Disneyland Paris. I stay onsite at Disneyland Paris and offsite at Disneyland California.

There are 6 onsite hotels with different budget levels. Santa Fe is the family friendly Disney budget hotel, although being Disney it is at the higher end of budget :) I have stayed at Motel 6 and Santa Fe is not that budget, to me its more like Comfort Inn :)

All of the onsite hotels are within walking distance to the park entrance, although they do also have shuttle busses. To me the onsite hotels are like staying at Harbor Bld for Disneyland California.

With the onsite hotels every guest gets access to EMH every morning

You can also avail of the shopping service and get you shopping sent back to your hotel.

When you look at the prices on the Disneyland Paris website, you are actaully being quoted for hotel and park hopper packages. You get park tickets for your arrival day and your departure day.

Thank you so much!! I'm so excited!! Between a Greek Isles cruise in July (with brief visit to Rome beforehand) and the Games and DLP in Paris in August, next summer is going to be EPIC!
That sounds like an amazing summer .... keep asking if there is anything else you want to know ... I think I've now been to DLP 22 times!!

That sounds like an amazing summer .... keep asking if there is anything else you want to know ... I think I've now been to DLP 22 times!!

Thanks! Do you make ADRs like you do for WDW? And can you note things like gluten-free when you do?

Unfortunately they are nothing like that. You have to call to make a reservation. You can do this 60 days in advance. None of the restaurants will be filled up when you call like 40 days in advance, only maybe Aubrge the cendrillion. They are not as good with allergies as I've heard from other Disney resorts, I went with a friend who's gluten en lactose free to a quick serve and they didn't have half the menu they claim to have everywhere on site, the anti allergen nothing in it kind of food. They did have two mains, so got one of those and some fruit. The main was better then she expected from the kind of meal it was. Two weeks before I went with my niece to Plaza Gardens, a buffet restaurant, the waiter there couldn't tell me which dishes contained milk, we didn't get further then, well, the cheese and the pizza... Which was kind of difficult with a lactose intolerant 8 year old and a 8 hour drive ahead of us ;) (so not much room for error). So be warned about that.

Yikes. Maybe I'll just bring a crap-ton of Luna bars and survive on those and water.

Thanks! Do you make ADRs like you do for WDW? And can you note things like gluten-free when you do?
You can't book them online you have to do it by phone or when you get there. Some people will say you need to book in advance. We have never found the need to, anywhere we wanted to eat always had availabilty when we arrived, maybe booked the day before but that was all. I can't speak for how well they deal with gluten free, neither of us have allergies (although H is vegetarian, but eventually they seem to understand that!) someone else may have more experience. I am aware they have a very limited allergen free menu but you wouldn't want to eat from that!

You can't book them online you have to do it by phone or when you get there. Some people will say you need to book in advance. We have never found the need to, anywhere we wanted to eat always had availabilty when we arrived, maybe booked the day before but that was all. I can't speak for how well they deal with gluten free, neither of us have allergies (although H is vegetarian, but eventually they seem to understand that!) someone else may have more experience. I am aware they have a very limited allergen free menu but you wouldn't want to eat from that!

Yeah, I found that thread. Ew. So sad as Disney usually leads the way in terms of food allergies. Looks like I'll be packing a few boxes of Luna bars and living on those and water for a few days. Or just forget DLP all together.

IMG_2890.JPG
Yeah, I found that thread. Ew. So sad as Disney usually leads the way in terms of food allergies. Looks like I'll be packing a few boxes of Luna bars and living on those and water for a few days. Or just forget DLP all together.
That's one advantage of staying where we did, even the studio apartments have a small kitchen (microwave, two ring stove top, toaster, kettle, fridge, dishwasher see picture) we ate in quite a bit ... supermarket in the mall 5 minutes away. Supermarket definitely had lots of gluten free I spotted). In the Disney village are McDonalds, Earl of Sandwich, Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood. You may have more success with them?

View attachment 255909
That's one advantage of staying where we did, even the studio apartments have a small kitchen (microwave, two ring stove top, toaster, kettle, fridge, dishwasher see picture) we ate in quite a bit ... supermarket in the mall 5 minutes away. Supermarket definitely had lots of gluten free I spotted). In the Disney village are McDonalds, Earl of Sandwich, Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood. You may have more success with them?

Thanks! I've seen good things about Annette's as well. Definitely good things about Planet Hollywood. McDonald's and Earl of Sandwich I've not even heard good things about gluten-free options here in the states. But yeah - it definitely seems like the Village is better.

One thing I'm also learning is to ask "sans gluten" since "gratuit" pretty much only means "free - no payment" and not the American/English secondary meaning of being synonymous with "without". Looking at menus, it seems like I may be able to figure out safe things largely on my own - so maybe I won't even mention it.

If it's a once in a lifetime trip, then i'd suggest to stay onsite if the budget allows (when comparing pricesnote that staying onsite includes lenght of stay tickets). As others have said, all hotels are within walking distance. From the cheapest value it takes 15 minutes to reach the entrance of the parks, less than walking from BWV to the Hollywood studios. I would suggest at least to have a look at the Cheyenne, which has a fun theming and is a value hotel (nothing like the Value hotels in WDW, which I dislike, being just motels with big statues). Be aware it doesn't have air conditioning or a pool.
If you want to upgrade, then I suggest the Sequoia Lodge, which is very similar to the Wilderness Lodge and is a moderate here. For me it's the best for quality/cost. It has a pool and air conditioning and it's less than 10 minutes to the parks.
If you really have a big budget, the Disneyland hotel is AMAZING, however I have yet to justify the price to stay there (I've been in all other hotels at DLP at least once). It is "on" the entrance, I mean that part of the hotel is above the turnstiles, it's a 30 seconds walk to the main park.

All of this said by someone who now stays offsite most of the times. I like to go often and booking a cheap offsite hotels allow me to go 2 or 3 times a year. But staying onsite is really special.

Be sure to have the right expectations about DLP: it's not like Disneyland or WDW has been transported to France: it has its differences and depending on what you're looking for you may fall in love with it or be disappointed. Disney Tourist Blog has a lot of planning tips about DLP, I recommend it.

If it's a once in a lifetime trip, then i'd suggest to stay onsite if the budget allows (when comparing pricesnote that staying onsite includes lenght of stay tickets). As others have said, all hotels are within walking distance. From the cheapest value it takes 15 minutes to reach the entrance of the parks, less than walking from BWV to the Hollywood studios. I would suggest at least to have a look at the Cheyenne, which has a fun theming and is a value hotel (nothing like the Value hotels in WDW, which I dislike, being just motels with big statues). Be aware it doesn't have air conditioning or a pool.
If you want to upgrade, then I suggest the Sequoia Lodge, which is very similar to the Wilderness Lodge and is a moderate here. For me it's the best for quality/cost. It has a pool and air conditioning and it's less than 10 minutes to the parks.
If you really have a big budget, the Disneyland hotel is AMAZING, however I have yet to justify the price to stay there (I've been in all other hotels at DLP at least once). It is "on" the entrance, I mean that part of the hotel is above the turnstiles, it's a 30 seconds walk to the main park.

All of this said by someone who now stays offsite most of the times. I like to go often and booking a cheap offsite hotels allow me to go 2 or 3 times a year. But staying onsite is really special.

Be sure to have the right expectations about DLP: it's not like Disneyland or WDW has been transported to France: it has its differences and depending on what you're looking for you may fall in love with it or be disappointed. Disney Tourist Blog has a lot of planning tips about DLP, I recommend it.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate all the information!! :)

Yeah, initially I was thinking Newport Bay, but when I saw that the rooms have some Bambi themeing I think that sold me on that one - Bambi was the first movie my parents took me to, so it has a special place in my heart!

Oh, the Sequoia is so beautiful!! They did a really nice job with the refurb :) I also would recommend staying onsite, being able to simply walk to the parks, particularly if you're on your own, it's simply brilliant

If you have breakfast in the hotels they have GF bread, you just need to ask for it (it's not usually on display but they have plenty on stock). As mentioned above the Planet Hollywood has a huge GF menu (though personally I find the restaurant really dated and in need on some TLC, the food itself is not bad). Have a look online for the different restaurant menus, I think your best best is finding things that are GF rather than asking for special meals (they do have an allergens free menu but from what I've heard it's pretty bland and the same everywhere) Worse comes to worse, most counter service restarants have a cheese-salad in their menu... They do have the list of allergens in all dishes (I think they have to, by law), so if in doubt ask for it.

Oh, the Sequoia is so beautiful!! They did a really nice job with the refurb :) I also would recommend staying onsite, being able to simply walk to the parks, particularly if you're on your own, it's simply brilliant

If you have breakfast in the hotels they have GF bread, you just need to ask for it (it's not usually on display but they have plenty on stock). As mentioned above the Planet Hollywood has a huge GF menu (though personally I find the restaurant really dated and in need on some TLC, the food itself is not bad). Have a look online for the different restaurant menus, I think your best best is finding things that are GF rather than asking for special meals (they do have an allergens free menu but from what I've heard it's pretty bland and the same everywhere) Worse comes to worse, most counter service restarants have a cheese-salad in their menu... They do have the list of allergens in all dishes (I think they have to, by law), so if in doubt ask for it.

Thank you so much!!

I love the Sequoia so much.. my resort of choice. Ive made the walk around the lake at night many times and I have never once felt unsafe or worried. There is loads of security around and the walkway is really well lit. Ive had a few night walks around the Sequoia property as well which is heavily wooded without any problems or worries. I love the convenience of the short walk from room to park. The nearby hotels aren't terrible, I just personally feel they lack the service and charm of on property ones. The circus one is cute but the novelty wore out for me really fast. Also the off site hotels can have some really terrible shuttle service sometimes. seems really hit or miss.

If you alert the staff to your food allergies at buffet services, they will actually walk you around and explain each dish with a chart that shows risks. They are really good about that if you let them know. there is an allergen menu guide... they used to have it on their site but i cant find it now. Found a copy of it here so its worth glancing through sometime before you go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!