Is it even worth it to go for just one day??

MelindaKiah

<font color=teal>DIS Veteran<br><font color=magent
My mother in law lives in Daytona Beach. We're considering moving there in 18 months and want to take a trip to check it out. So, we're heading there next August. The kids really want to go to WDW. Due to money and time constraints, all we could do is one day. I'm wondering if it's worth it to go for just one day? I'm thinking it is. I went years and years ago but of course it was much smaller then. however, for the kids to just be able to tell their friends they went to Disney world and the memories of what they DO get to see, I think it would probably be worth it.

Any input?? Thanks!!:D

If you are going to be in the area anyway, I would say it's worth it.

I wouldn't make the trip cross-country to just do one day, but if you're going to be that close anyway, GO FOR IT! It's difficult not to. We've even just stopped at one of the resorts for lunch when we've passed through WDW.

Given only one day, you'll be tempted to run, run, run all day to see as much as you can. Do not ruin what can be a great day by stressing out about missing something. :earseek:

Even if you had a week, you'd probably not see everything there is to see so be sure to plan out what you want to see. To minimize cost and maximize the time you have, you'll probably want to stick to one park. Try to figure out which one suits your family best. If it turns out to be the Magic Kingdom, you could go to one of the monorail resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian) for lunch or dinner.

There are other things you can do relatively cheaply at WDW (check out the Budget Board for ideas) during your day.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to give suggestions based on my experiences.

Bottom line: Yes, it's worth it, but know in advance what you want to see.

Thanks!! I kinda figured it would definitely be worth it. Especially being that close. We're going to Daytona regardless, so why not go to WDW too!!! We're going to the Magic Kingdom. That's where the kids want to go and that's fine with me and their father. I've told them not to rush around...if we can't get to things they want to see, we'll come back another time or we'll possibly be moving to Daytona and can get season passes!

I would LOVE to hear any input from your experiences. Although this trip is 9 months away, I'm trying to plan for it now.

Thanks again!:D

I've never been to WDW in August, so I can't comment directly on that. But from what I understand, HOT and CROWDED are good descriptions. There are ways of dealing with those issues.

Go early!
I would want to be at the MK as soon as you can get in. You'll only be able to get as far as the hub, but you'll beat a lot of the crowd to the rest of the park!
(Past experience: we did this and went straight to the Winnie-the-Pooh ride. As a result, we got to ride the ride with Eeyore which was a big hit with the young and young-at-heart in our group.)

Fastpass, fastpass, fastpass!
Use it often and use it wisely. I would expect long lines in August so Fastpass can save you time. If there are a few attractions you want to see in an area (say, Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland), get a Fastpass for one and get in the standby line for the other. Just watch your Fastpass return window times.
(Past experience: While the rest of us waited at Pooh, my wife got Fastpasses for everyone for Space Mountain. Due to short lines, we were able to do several Fantasyland attractions and then used our Fastpasses to walk right on, past a very long line, to Space Mountain. We were also able to get our next Fastpass for Buzz BEFORE we used our Space Mountain Fastpasses. We frequently sent someone ahead to collect the next Fastpasses whenever possible.)

Baby swap!
I don't know if this applies in your case, but if one or more of the kids sits out with a parent, use the baby swap. The cast members at each attraction can explain what you need to do. In essence, everybody else rides and then when they come out, the people sitting out (and sometimes others) can get right on the next car/boat/train/etc.
(Past experience: We had two kids under three so that left them out of the roller coasters and other big rides. We had two people sit out with them and we usually got two or more babyswap passes each time. That meant that anywhere from two to six people got to ride or ride again right away! My nieces hit everything twice this way. You get at least as many passes as those who sit out, but sometimes we almost got everyone else back on the ride.)

Don't criss-cross!
Try to hit everything in each land of the MK together. Nothing will waste more time and energy than running from one end of the park to the other. Of course, your specific situation may require it on occassion. So map out your "must-sees" and group them together by location.
(Past experience: We just do this every time we go.)

Take that break!
By mid- to late-morning, it will get crowded and hot. Take this opportunity to leave the MK (don't forget that re-entry handstamp!) and ride the monorail to one of the resorts for lunch. That way, you get a break (the resorts are very quiet mid-day) and you get to ride the monorail too! The relative serenity of a quiet lunch break will save your sanity and recharge your batteries for the rest of the day. Eat at an atypical lunch time (before 11:30 or after 1) for shorter lunch lines.
(Past experience: Our personal favorite is the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian. The resort is very quiet and peaceful and the food at the Kona Cafe is great. When you get to the monorail station, don't forget to ask if you can ride up front with the conductor. It can't always happen, but sometimes you get lucky.)

Parades: see them or skip them!
If you want to watch the parade(s), you'll have to stake out a good spot early. If you don't mind missing the parade, it's a good time to hit the rides because so many people are waiting for the parade, the lines are usually shorter.
(Past experience: We're not big on parades, but the last time we were there, we could have had a great spot for the nighttime parade near the Splash Mountain/Big Thunder Mountain bridge in Frontierland. I'm sure other people have other suggestions.)

Stay late!
It will be cooler and the crowds should be more manageable. You can ride the rides all the way up until closing time and you usually have at least 30 minutes to get out of the gates. Don't worry, the cast members won't let you stay inside, but they won't rush you out either.
(Past experience: We watched the fireworks from the town square on Main Street and then just sat and watched the mobs crush out of the gates. It was very peaceful and fun to not be in that mob. We sat until the big crush was over and we still weren't the last ones out. Plus, you can hit the Main Street stores at your leisure without the mob.)

Thanks for listening and hanging in there this long. Sorry for the length of the post.

If I can clarify anything or answer any questions, let me know.

Have fun!

I say definitely GO FOR IT. I visited a friend in West Palm Beach two years in a row, and both times went to the MK for the day. I had a GREAT time! Of course, I wished I was staying there longer than just the day. It was most certainly worth it.:p

I would... and did! Only it wasn't in August it was over Easter break!!!:eek:

This was years ago when DH and I went to Melbourne Beach to visit my parents. I was a teacher then and could only go during school break. We decided to brave the crowd. We went knowing it would be a zoo and we couldn't do everything we wanted but that was ok. We had a fun day and were glad we went.

We did the same thing a few years later when our DD was almost 2 only we drove over to Sea World for the day. If you do these thing with realisitic expectations of the weather and crowds it will be ok.:D

We just did one day this trip. (Actually, we did one day of resort-touring, which was FREE, one day at MK, and one morning window-shopping at Downtown Disney.) It was definitely worth it. We went with a plan so that we wouldn't waste any time deciding what to do next. We didn't follow it exactly, but at least it gave us a framework. The lines were a lot longer than I expected, so we had to drop some activities, but we still got a lot done and had a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter