Is it cheaper to buy a DS in the USA?

kyl

disneyfun
Hi all just wanted to know if anyone has actually brought a DS in the states? You wouldn't believe it but my two daughters DS consoles have gone, its been about 12mths now. They were being naughty one day last year and I took their DS off them now I can not find them. I really think some days I have early dementia:lmao:. I have searched high and low done a full spring clean of the house still I can't find where I put them. So I was thinking if they are cheaper in the states I would replace them and now I have only one hiding place in my house;). From reading on here I know the games are a lot cheaper. I really need to keep looking I hid them so well I can't even find them:scared1: In the end I ended up punishing myself more than them:rotfl2:

I think that they are probably a bit cheaper but not a huge amount. My DD1's DS has carked it so she needs a new one too. I think I will prob get it over there, even if I only save $20 or $30 :confused3

You do know that as soon as you buy new ones, the old ones will show up don't you? :lmao::rotfl:

xxx

My DD purchased one last October. With exchange rate etc she saved about $100.00. We did have to purchase a new charger to use here when we got home and that was $29.00 but it still worked out at $70.00 cheaper. Games were considerably cheaper. I think she bought a couple of new release ones for less than $40.00 each.

Thank you platypus67. Do you mind me asking where did you buy it from? Wow $70 works out way cheaper! Especially since I have to buy two.....

Hi Kyl

You can often get a good idea of prices by looking at some of the bigger shops websites - try walmart or target - I was looking at ds myself a few weeks ago as one of our is on the way out. I think it was walmart that had them for $129 but that came with 2 games and there were alot to choose from (15 or more).

Happy browsing :surfweb:

We got it from EB Games in a very large mall in Lancaster PA. I just asked DD and she reckons we saved even more. We bought a DSI and I think they had just been released in oz at the time so the savings then may have been more than now, but experience tells me you should still save quite a bit. Just keep in mind that any warranty claims would probably have to go through the US. Something else I thought of is my DD thought of trading hers in for the latest release through EB Games here and she couldn't because it was a US model.

Just had a look at best buys for a DSi they are USD $169.99 at today's rate that equals just over AUD $190 at Dick Smiths they are AUD $249
Games are from USD $20 to $50

If you are planning on getting a DSLite, these retail for about $125 in the US. The best deal I saw was through Amazon online that had them at the rock bottom price of $70 - but that was when the DSi was released.

My son wanted to upgrade his DS Lite earlier in the year. One of the buttons was sticky and he couldn't play the games at the pace he wanted to play at. It worked fine for me, althought I found it a tad annoying with the sticky button myself - but then I am a lot slower than he is...:rotfl2:

He wanted the DSi, which was around the $170 and from memory about $270 here. He didn't want to wait the 2 months; so we looked at a trade-in option at EB Games. We took it in for an assessment and they were happy with it....we got $100 trade in for it; and the DSi ended up costing about $170 with the trade in.

If you buy a US model, you just need to buy the appropriate charger over here. They are about $15. Input ampege (is this correct word) of 15V is universal on the DS - just the plug/adaptor is different; so don't get conned into thinking that you need to purchase a transformer.

I bought myself a DS Lite in the US about 2 years ago. I haven't tested out the trade-in for a US model DSLite in Oz. But I know that EB Games wanted a proper Nintendo charger, Australian style, with our trade-in. I'm not sure how the shop floor person would be able to tell the difference on the console otherwise.

Hi! :wave2: Hope you don’t mind, I sometimes lurk on your page.
I bought DH (yes, 31 year old DH) a DS lite for his birthday just before we flew to Australia in June. I paid $149 USD and it came with all of the cables / adaptors & the new Mario game! I got it at Walmart. They currently have similar deals online http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=2636&ic=48_0&search_query=nintendo+ds+hardware For $149 you can get DS lite & 2 games for $129 you can get DS lite & 1 game. The only potential problem is I'm pretty sure these deals are only through their website. They bundle items together and offer a discounted price vs buying everything seperate in store. Could you have it shipped to the resort? If not, you will pay a little more instore.
Hope this helps!

Thank you all so much for your help, the response has been great. Over all it looks like I should just hold out until we get there and get them. I don't care what model they get, so sounds like I will get them at a decent price. That will teach me for taking them off them! If they are naughty again must remember same hiding hole not some where different rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter