Irma and autism.....

fitzpa

Mouseketeer
Has anyone been to Disney with someone who has autism during a hurricane? Any advise? Are you allowed to leave the hotel? My 19 year old son is very challenged. Worried.

Way to early to even think about it as it might not even hit the US let alone Orlando. If it does hit then I would think Disney would want you to stay put during the bad part of the storm, and I would not even want to leave at all.

Ask me in about a week and a half and I might have an answer for you. :) My DD has autism and we will be at WDW from the 8th through 17th. She is high functioning and I've already talked to her about what might happen if the storm impacts Orlando. She seems to be okay with the idea, but experiencing it first hand will be a whole different ballgame.

Are you staying at Bay Lake? That's where we will be. If a hurricane hits, you would be able to move about the BLT building some but not go outside, so no walking over to the Contemporary. You may want to do a search for posts on Hurricane Matthew last year.

I'd recommend packing some snacks that your DS likes to have on hand in case you do get stuck in your room. Is he sensitive to noise? If so, maybe bring noise reducing earmuffs. I know my DD gets a little freaked at the sound of high winds. She now prefers to use earbuds with her iPod instead of the earmuffs. Are there activities your son would enjoy doing while in the room, e.g. games he'd like to play? You could bring something like that. I'd be prepared with something to occupy his time just in case the TV goes out.

I'm really hoping the models that show this staying out in the Atlantic are correct, but it's way too early to tell right now.

Thanks. Yes, we are staying at Bay Lake, the 7th to the 12th. I guess I'll keep an eye on Irma and maybe have to cancel. He wouldn't understand seeing the park and not being able to leave the resort :-(

Thanks. Yes, we are staying at Bay Lake, the 7th to the 12th. I guess I'll keep an eye on Irma and maybe have to cancel. He wouldn't understand seeing the park and not being able to leave the resort :-(
Disney world has been opened just over 45 years and I think they have closed the parks about 3 or 4 times. I really would not worry to much

We were there when they closed early for Hurricane Charley in Aug 2004, and they were open on time the next day, despite widespread wind damage in the area, including on resort hotel grounds.

They asked us to all stay in our resort rooms, and Mousekeeping came to each room to drop off a flashlight and to tell us to keep the wood blinds shut, as this would help if windows broke.

All WDW channels switched to showing Disney movies, and we could boxed meals were offered in the food court, as food service was shut down to allow employees to be with their families.

No way would I cancel a WDW vacation due to a hurricane, as historically, park shutdowns have been for less than a full day .

We were there last year during Hurricane Matthew. We were staying at Port Orleans Riverside. The storm was predicted to hit on a Thursday night. The parks closed at 5 pm that day and we were instructed to stay in our rooms after 9pm. No busses were running once they got everybody back from the parks and Disney springs. It also was announced on Thursday night that all the parks and Disney springs would be closed on Friday.

One important piece of advice I would give would be to have food in your room in case you get stuck there. The food court was MOBBED from about 4 until closing. We waited 2 1/2 hours for a pizza in the food court which was wall to wall people. They were also selling box lunches (sandwich and fruit and I don't remember what else was in it) for 12.99 and that line was literally out the door. The store was also extremely busy and any shelves that had any kind of food item on them were wiped out pretty early. So if I was going to be there again when a storm was predicted, I would either go to the store as soon as I got there to get some food items, or order from garden grocer ahead of time and have it delivered the first day. We had heard even the grocery store shelves were pretty empty as of the day before the storm (Wednesday). So order/shop early!!!

As a previous poster stated, they did deliver a flashlight to our room.

Luckily, Hurricane Matthew never really reached us and it was just windy and rainy during the night. The next day the sun came out and Disney Springs ended up opening up at 5pm Friday night. Since all the parks were closed, it was packed down there!

I would maybe call your resort ahead of time to see what they could tell you about being there during a hurricane. Not sure if you are on a high floor in the tower, if they will evacuate you from your rooms. I would imagine that would be very stressful for your son if you had to go to a shelter type location in the hotel.

Good Luck!!

Last edited:

If you are concerned about having space to move about during the day or so you might be confined to the Resort, you could check to see if you could be in the main lodge at either Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. Both have big, open, lovely lobbies with lots of space to roam around, and lots of windows to look out of.

Both have balconies that overlook the lobbies as well - so someone who is feeling restless could easily walk around on each floor and find plenty of "new" views from each floor.

I know it may be too late to change - but it's just a suggestion if you are worried. As others above said, I would also make sure you have plenty of food and snacks in your room - even just a loaf of bread (or a box of crackers) and a jar of peanut butter will go a long ways during the day or so you might be waiting for the weather to clear.

we are at Universal last year during Matthew's visit. you won't be allowed to just roam the grounds. all outdoor areas will be off limits. it will depend on the specific resort how they handle all the captive audience and meal times.

we did lose power and the audio system in the resort was immediately utilized to let us know what was going on.

I HIGHLY suggest stocking up on shelf stable items. the areas they set up for food were beyond mobbed.

Has anyone been to Disney with someone who has autism during a hurricane? Any advise? Are you allowed to leave the hotel? My 19 year old son is very challenged. Worried.

You would be advised not to leave, as it wouldn't be safe.

If the winds and rain are bad enough, he won't be able to see the park. Or you could request a room that doesn't have a park view, for safety's sake.

Disney world has been opened just over 45 years and I think they have closed the parks about 3 or 4 times. I really would not worry to much

Having arrived at WDW the day after Charley, I'd consider it a concern. Having my daughter and her family in Houston during Harvey last week, I would be concerned how much stronger some hurricanes are, and their increased chance of reaching inland with that power.

We were there when they closed early for Hurricane Charley in Aug 2004, and they were open on time the next day, despite widespread wind damage in the area, including on resort hotel grounds.

They asked us to all stay in our resort rooms, and Mousekeeping came to each room to drop off a flashlight and to tell us to keep the wood blinds shut, as this would help if windows broke.

All WDW channels switched to showing Disney movies, and we could boxed meals were offered in the food court, as food service was shut down to allow employees to be with their families.

No way would I cancel a WDW vacation due to a hurricane, as historically, park shutdowns have been for less than a full day .

But did you travel with an autistic person who would be very challenged by being confined in a room for 24 hours?

You would be advised not to leave, as it wouldn't be safe.

If the winds and rain are bad enough, he won't be able to see the park. Or you could request a room that doesn't have a park view, for safety's sake.

Having arrived at WDW the day after Charley, I'd consider it a concern. Having my daughter and her family in Houston during Harvey last week, I would be concerned how much stronger some hurricanes are, and their increased chance of reaching inland with that power.

But did you travel with an autistic person who would be very challenged by being confined in a room for 24 hours?

No, but we weren't in the room for 24 hours...not even close. And guests at Bay Lake Towers wouldn't have to stay in the room either.

No, but we weren't in the room for 24 hours...not even close. And guests at Bay Lake Towers wouldn't have to stay in the room either.

That was Charley - how about Harvey? My daughter was in her apartment for days. It is a benefit to be at a resort with interior hallways, but what is there to do in the hallway? Is there anything else in the Towers? Would they want you in the elevators? A restaurant, arcade? Although, I'm thinking those will be closed or crammed full if there was a 'lock-down' style hurricane in the area. They'd be stuck in the Towers as the catwalk to the Contemporary would be closed, right? And it wouldn't be safe or wise to go outside.

That was Charley - how about Harvey? My daughter was in her apartment for days. It is a benefit to be at a resort with interior hallways, but what is there to do in the hallway? Is there anything else in the Towers? Would they want you in the elevators? A restaurant, arcade? Although, I'm thinking those will be closed or crammed full if there was a 'lock-down' style hurricane in the area. They'd be stuck in the Towers as the catwalk to the Contemporary would be closed, right? And it wouldn't be safe or wise to go outside.

Your daughter was stuck inside for days because of the flooding that followed the hurricane, not because of the hurricane force winds. Houston has chronic flood issues, the Orlando area does not.

I'm not telling anyone else what to do, that's their business, not mine. But no way would I cancel a WDW vacation because a hurricane might possibly maybe hit .

Your daughter was stuck inside for days because of the flooding that followed the hurricane, not because of the hurricane force winds. Houston has chronic flood issues, the Orlando area does not.

I'm not telling anyone else what to do, that's their business, not mine. But no way would I cancel a WDW vacation because a hurricane might possibly maybe hit .

Multiple days of high winds and torrential rain, actually. They didn't get flooded in their section of Houston.

Are you realizing that the OP is stating that her son cannot handle the confinement to the room? That is the main concern - and a hurricane could cause him to have to stay in the room longer than he could handle. Average family, with kids without issues, sure, but someone who can't handle the confinement? Definitely cause for concern.

OP - others have mentioned going to AKL or WL if you can change the reservation. I agree - the lobbies are spacious and would give you a bit of room to move about if needed.

Multiple days of high winds and torrential rain, actually. They didn't get flooded in their section of Houston.

Are you realizing that the OP is stating that her son cannot handle the confinement to the room? That is the main concern - and a hurricane could cause him to have to stay in the room longer than he could handle. Average family, with kids without issues, sure, but someone who can't handle the confinement? Definitely cause for concern.

OP - others have mentioned going to AKL or WL if you can change the reservation. I agree - the lobbies are spacious and would give you a bit of room to move about if needed.

Did you not read the part where I said I was speaking as to what I would do?

I think you're way overreacting, but it's certainly your right to do so.

Did you not read the part where I said I was speaking as to what I would do?

I think you're way overreacting, but it's certainly your right to do so.

But are you in the same situation? How can the OP relate if you don't have the same situation? I mean, really, we could all do something different, but how does that relate to her actual situation of not being OK with confining her son to the room for an extended time? Of course people who do not have that particular issue to deal with wouldn't worry about a possible extended time in the room. How does that help her?

Actually, I don't see that the OP stated her son cannot be confined to a room, though that may be a logical assumption. What was asked is:
"Are you allowed to leave the hotel?" and further stated "He wouldn't understand seeing the park and not being able to leave the resort."

What might be challenging about the situation for one person with autism may not be a problem for another. Sharing various experiences is fine; I trust the OP knows her son well enough to sort out the most helpful info. And there is always the chance another reader is following along who finds different tips helpful.

Let's get back on track... sharing experiences and tips or suggestions.

Thank you all. Weighing the options and hoping for the best.

Sounds like it's going to be pretty rough all across Florida - best of luck! maybe pack some presents/new toys/distractions to have available in case you have an extended stay in your room, and pack flashlights in case you lose power! Hopefully there won't be tornado watches and warnings on top of everything, like they had in Houston!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!