Internet Help

TinkOhio

DIS Veteran
We're hoping that some knowledgeable Dis folks can help us save money. Our internet/cable/phone bundle contract is finally over and we have decided to go in a different direction. We are dumping the land line, switched to a cell only plan for our cell phones, and will be using out son's YouTube TV to access our local stations and some sports stations. We plan on upping our daughter's Netflix plan to a family plan. That leaves our internet needs. Is there an internet only plan or provider that you would suggest? We currently have AT&T. The service in our area is unbelievably slow and pricey, and our feed keeps freezing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ive been looking into this myself... What a nightmare. LOL. The first thing to know is which providers are available at your address. That being said, if Comcast is a choice - run. LOL. They charge almost $100 a month for Internet only (at least where I am).

I have not yet found a solution, I wish you the best on your search.

Internet is going to depend on what you have access to. I'm fortunate as we have at least 3 different wired options, plus the cell or satellite options. But even in other parts of the state it's whatever infrastructure and local regulations permit, some places you may have a choice of DSL or Comcast... neither are high on my preference list. You probably have to do a search for what you can get first and then narrow down from there.
If you've got great cellular coverage and reliability you could try a wireless plan over something wired. I shy away from satellite due to the reliability, but I haven't looked into it in many years. I know they've made strides in the speed but I imagine storms can still disrupt the signal.

I have Comcast/xFinity: Blast Internet, Basic Digital TV + HBO $81/month for 2 years. It was actually less to bundle the TV than getting just internet. I own my own router & modem, but if you rent I think add $11/month. Not 100% on that.

I also have my cell plan through them which is $2.30/month. That is for 100mb data. It is $12/gb over 100mb or $45/month unlimited.

I work at home & don't travel much, so am always on wifi and never go over data limit. You can connect free to any xFinity wifi if available...the connection strength depends greatly on your location though.

We're hoping that some knowledgeable Dis folks can help us save money. Our internet/cable/phone bundle contract is finally over and we have decided to go in a different direction. We are dumping the land line, switched to a cell only plan for our cell phones, and will be using out son's YouTube TV to access our local stations and some sports stations. We plan on upping our daughter's Netflix plan to a family plan. That leaves our internet needs. Is there an internet only plan or provider that you would suggest? We currently have AT&T. The service in our area is unbelievably slow and pricey, and our feed keeps freezing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
If you're limited in provider choice, have you tried installing an wifi mesh to boost your signal if your TV is far from your router? Look for wifi boosters at electronic stores, which you buy as a one time expense but you will find that your home speed is faster despite not having to pay for a higher speed for your provider. For my house, I bought the google wifi units because my router is far from my TV and I was having the same problem as you with freezing. They are super easy to install and I put one beside my TV to boost the signal. Some of my friends who have done it were able to actually get cheaper internet plans from their provider because they didnt need to pay for the higher speed anymore. The nice thing is the units are yours so its just a one time fee and not a rental that you pay monthly. Im sure there are other vendors, we just chose google because we got a deal on them last Christmas.
Random tip: If you have an Uber Visa credit card (its no annual fee), part of the benefit is after you spend $5000 in a year, they will reimburse you up to $50 per year on a digital subscription per year such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Nice way to save $50 a year on your TV bill.

I have Charter Spectrum $70. I have a $10credit each month for some reason, I think they were running a promotion for faster speed upgrade.

Thanks so much for all of the input. It winds up that there are only two internet providers in my area! So I called the other provider, and after being transferred to many agents, I was able to wind up with what I feel is a good deal. The lesson learned is to not just accept the first quote given. My final quote included a package with a two year price guarantee, a $100 Visa gift card, a free modem, free installation, and free DVR, plus phone line, internet, and cable for about $20 more than the cost of just the internet service. This package was much better than the specials being offered online and in mailed ads. The last person I spoke with said t always call as they have access to better pricing. It took a long time, but I think it paid off.

Thanks so much for all of the input. It winds up that there are only two internet providers in my area! So I called the other provider, and after being transferred to many agents, I was able to wind up with what I feel is a good deal. The lesson learned is to not just accept the first quote given. My final quote included a package with a two year price guarantee, a $100 Visa gift card, a free modem, free installation, and free DVR, plus phone line, internet, and cable for about $20 more than the cost of just the internet service. This package was much better than the specials being offered online and in mailed ads. The last person I spoke with said t always call as they have access to better pricing. It took a long time, but I think it paid off.

Who did you go with? I'm curious as I'm in Ohio too.

We went with Cox. We had Cox years ago and were very pleased with their service. We switched to AT&T because the Cox price eventually became super expensive. Now we're back with Cox and happy, as their service is far superior in this area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!