Incredibles 2

A movie is not going to continue its record breaking success week after week. You also had new competition with Jurassic World.

The profanity claim is ridiculous as well. That’s not even close to an issue.
I think that you are confusing "vulgarity" with "profanity". It's not "ridiculous". While "OMG" is in no way vulgar, it is clearly viewed as "profane" by many people across more than just one religion under definition 2. While its usage didn't offend me, part of me cringed a bit when I heard it in "I2" because I know that it will bother some people and there are other equally impactful utterances that could have been used instead. I checked a couple of "faith-based" movie review sites, and while they liked I2 overall, the ratcheting up of the "OMG" usage in the sequel didn't go unnoticed and was "flagged" at an equal level with the "action violence" rating in their parental guide. I have no doubt that many here will find that amusing, but there are plenty of things held by people of other belief systems that might amuse us... but that doesn't make them any less genuinely held by others.

^^^ This. Also, didn’t care for the oddness of the metaphor, son/personified food...huh???

I took it as the food - specifically the making the homemade dumplings - was something the mother did for the son. So when he left, the dumplings reminded her of him and made her miss him, so it took on the personification of him - and then she wound up doing anything she could to prevent him from leaving (with it now being food, that was eating him)

As for the guilt tripping the son for leaving - guess it depends on what side you are on. I think it was more about how he left and sort of didn't acknowledged all his mom did for him and just ran out, etc. So a lesson for kids to realize all your parents do for you and not take them for granted and not forget about them after you leave .... but also, I think for parents, to understand your kids will leave at some point and to accept it - but to make it a less painful process so they don't feel "trapped" and that they have to just run away to get any of their own life

Though maybe I am reading too much into it

Does anyone have any reactions from their kids about the short who'd like to share? What'd they think?

I'm so with you on bao. My mouth actually fell open at that

I was so shocked when she ate him! Probably most shocking thing I've seen in a film in a while. Ok, maybe I get the message about letting go of your kids... But I sincerely doubt kids will pick up on that. So to kids it looks like she ate the dumpling and it never showed back up again. Not appropriate for a kid's movie.
My DD9 has really been bothered by it. We saw the movie just over a week ago and she keeps bringing it up.

I think they missed the mark with the short. But while I didn't really enjoy it, I at least understood it at the end. I just wasn't much of a fan and really didn't think it was all that good. I know many of the kids in the theater, including my own, didn't get it and were kind of horrified at what she did at one point. Anyway, my kids basically forgot about it, so no big deal for us. Just an uncomfortable kind of thing before a movie that probably didn't need to be there.

I think that you are confusing "vulgarity" with "profanity". It's not "ridiculous". While "OMG" is in no way vulgar, it is clearly viewed as "profane" by many people across more than just one religion under definition 2. While its usage didn't offend me, part of me cringed a bit when I heard it in "I2" because I know that it will bother some people and there are other equally impactful utterances that could have been used instead. I checked a couple of "faith-based" movie review sites, and while they liked I2 overall, the ratcheting up of the "OMG" usage in the sequel didn't go unnoticed and was "flagged" at an equal level with the "action violence" rating in their parental guide. I have no doubt that many here will find that amusing, but there are plenty of things held by people of other belief systems that might amuse us... but that doesn't make them any less genuinely held by others.

While I don't think that will have (or is having) a huge negative impact on the film, I do agree it does bother some people and I admit I felt it was often unnecessary

Which makes me ask why they included it and I wonder if they were trying to be a bit more "grown up" and appeal to fans of the original that are now 14 years older

None of us liked the short. The kids ranged from confused to mildly disturbed by it. Husband thought it was just weird. I hate the theme of guilt tripping kids for growing up and getting their own life.
Your children are 3 & 5. Revisit Bao when they are leaving for college or getting married and you will better understand what the short is about. It is not about guilt tripping.

As someone who has a daughter in college, I thought it was about learning how to let go. The mom wants to keep her son with her and enjoys the relationship she has with him when he's small like your kids. As he grows, he naturally distances himself from his mom (I loved the teen Bao-boy, BTW) and hangs out with friends. Let me tell you, it's no fun when family takes the back seat to your children's friends and of course she is sad. When he finally becomes engaged she is afraid that she will lose him forever. So, she eats him to keep him with her always.

I found this that explains what the director was going for (there are some naughty words in the article):
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/bao-pixar-short-film-before-incredibles-2-explained

FWIW, I wrote my analysis before I read what the director was thinking :).

Your children are 3 & 5. Revisit Bao when they are leaving for college or getting married and you will better understand what the short is about. It is not about guilt tripping.

As someone who has a daughter in college, I thought it was about learning how to let go. The mom wants to keep her son with her and enjoys the relationship she has with him when he's small like your kids. As he grows, he naturally distances himself from his mom (I loved the teen Bao-boy, BTW) and hangs out with friends. Let me tell you, it's no fun when family takes the back seat to your children's friends and of course she is sad. When he finally becomes engaged she is afraid that she will lose him forever. So, she eats him to keep him with her always.

I found this that explains what the director was going for (there are some naughty words in the article):
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/bao-pixar-short-film-before-incredibles-2-explained

FWIW, I wrote my analysis before I read what the director was thinking :).

Eh, my mom had the same take on it as I did, so I don’t think this is strictly a “you’ll understand when you’re older” type of thing. While there’s something to be said for it being sad when your child grows up and away from your family unit, there’s also something to be said for embracing and celebrating those changes and the shift towards adulthood (as we see happen at the end) - makes it much easier to not grow apart as they grow up.

Eh, my mom had the same take on it as I did, so I don’t think this is strictly a “you’ll understand when you’re older” type of thing. While there’s something to be said for it being sad when your child grows up and away from your family unit, there’s also something to be said for embracing and celebrating those changes and the shift towards adulthood (as we see happen at the end) - makes it much easier to not grow apart as they grow up.
I didn't say it was a “you’ll understand when you’re older” type of thing. I said it's a “you’ll understand when your KIDS are older” type of thing. It's one thing to look ahead at the teen years while your children are still in preschool and talk about "embracing and celebrating" the changes to your child and family unit. It is quite another to be right in the middle of it. The sulking, the slamming doors, the sarcasm, the raging hormones ... all set in motion to help both the child and the parents separate from each other. Successful parents do help their children fledge and eventually fly from the nest. That doesn't mean that it's not an emotional roller coaster when you sometimes long for those "easy" days of toddlers and preschoolers who loved you unconditionally and their sun rose and set on you, the parent.

The mom in the story realizes that she can't hold on to him and it's painful. Still, she embraces her new DIL into the family and it turns out that it's a good fit! She makes bao better than the son :).

Talking about all this bao makes me hungry!

I didn't say it was a “you’ll understand when you’re older” type of thing. I said it's a “you’ll understand when your KIDS are older” type of thing. It's one thing to look ahead at the teen years while your children are still in preschool and talk about "embracing and celebrating" the changes to your child and family unit. It is quite another to be right in the middle of it. The sulking, the slamming doors, the sarcasm, the raging hormones ... all set in motion to help both the child and the parents separate from each other. Successful parents do help their children fledge and eventually fly from the nest. That doesn't mean that it's not an emotional roller coaster when you sometimes long for those "easy" days of toddlers and preschoolers who loved you unconditionally and their sun rose and set on you, the parent.

The mom in the story realizes that she can't hold on to him and it's painful. Still, she embraces her new DIL into the family and it turns out that it's a good fit! She makes bao better than the son :).

Talking about all this bao makes me hungry!

I feel like you’re just arguing semantics. When my kids are older, I’ll be older, so...yeah. And obviously my mom’s kids are older since I’m now an adult with my own family. And as I said, she didn’t like or agree with Bao’s story either. So your opinion on it isn’t universal to all parents, even those who have been through the teenage and young adult years with their kids.

I feel like you’re just arguing semantics. When my kids are older, I’ll be older, so...yeah.
It's not semantics. Saying that you'll understand when you're older means that you don't have the maturity to understand to understand now. Saying that you'll understand when your kids are older means that you have not yet experienced parenting teens. The first is an insult, the second an observation.

And obviously my mom’s kids are older since I’m now an adult with my own family. And as I said, she didn’t like or agree with Bao’s story either. So your opinion on it isn’t universal to all parents, even those who have been through the teenage and young adult years with their kids.
As for your mom, I figure parenting teens is like childbirth. It's hell when you're in the middle of it but becomes a more pleasant fuzzy memory once it's done. At least I hope that's true :faint:.

FWIW, my opinion is what the director intended. But that's the interesting thing about art ... we can both look at the same thing and see different things.

Saw it on Wednesday night with a half full theater. My first reaction upon walking out of the theater...."I'm disappointed." That was not what I was expecting to say. Perhaps, for me, 14 years between films built up expectations too much.

Things I liked: The animation is spot on. Everything looks so great. Just exactly what you would expect from Pixar. The action set pieces are spectacular and well executed. They were exciting and unique and I could tell what was happening clearly in each sequence. It had a good amount of humor for an action/super hero film. Jack-Jack is great...even though I think they overdid it with him having so many super abilities.

Things I didn't like: Ultimately the plot WAS too similar to the original film. Especially when you remember that this film takes place right after the events of the first film. They just experienced one parent going away to do hero work while the other stays behind with the kids until they all come together to fight as a family. Now we do it all over again. The previews pretty much indicated that's where we were going in this film, and I didn't think it would bother me. But in the end, I found it disappointing.

No reason in an animated family film (it's literally about a family) to have "OMG's," "d*mn," or "h*ll" repeated multiple times.

I really thought they kind of dropped the ball with the villain. The Screenslaver started out great, I thought. Interesting abilities, mysterious, great costume. The fact that it's actually the sister of the hero's benefactor is predictable and boring. It's another repeat of the first movie, where the person you thought was trying to help turns out to be the bad guy. It would have been far more interesting if the bad guy was an actual bad guy, set apart from what the good guys are doing. With the Screenslaver's name and supposed mission, that would make for a much better theme as well.

Which brings me to my last point. The first film had such a strong theme/message: When everyone is special, then no one is. This film had no strong theme or message. There are several ideas that are touched on. But no big theme that I could identify, which is kind of disappointing.

Still, I liked the movie. It was good. I enjoyed it. But I still left disappointed, which is too bad.

Would love to see another one.

Really liked the movie.

My only complaint
(and I don't know if this has been mentioned because I don't have time to read the whole thread right now) is that Dash didn't contribute anything really to helping defeat the villain... except for controlling the IncrediCar. He could have literally dashed around and pulled off everyone's glasses. But I guess that would have been too easy :-)

Saw it on Wednesday night with a half full theater. My first reaction upon walking out of the theater...."I'm disappointed." That was not what I was expecting to say. Perhaps, for me, 14 years between films built up expectations too much.

Things I liked: The animation is spot on. Everything looks so great. Just exactly what you would expect from Pixar. The action set pieces are spectacular and well executed. They were exciting and unique and I could tell what was happening clearly in each sequence. It had a good amount of humor for an action/super hero film. Jack-Jack is great...even though I think they overdid it with him having so many super abilities.

Things I didn't like: Ultimately the plot WAS too similar to the original film. Especially when you remember that this film takes place right after the events of the first film. They just experienced one parent going away to do hero work while the other stays behind with the kids until they all come together to fight as a family. Now we do it all over again. The previews pretty much indicated that's where we were going in this film, and I didn't think it would bother me. But in the end, I found it disappointing.

No reason in an animated family film (it's literally about a family) to have "OMG's," "d*mn," or "h*ll" repeated multiple times.

I really thought they kind of dropped the ball with the villain. The Screenslaver started out great, I thought. Interesting abilities, mysterious, great costume. The fact that it's actually the sister of the hero's benefactor is predictable and boring. It's another repeat of the first movie, where the person you thought was trying to help turns out to be the bad guy. It would have been far more interesting if the bad guy was an actual bad guy, set apart from what the good guys are doing. With the Screenslaver's name and supposed mission, that would make for a much better theme as well.

Which brings me to my last point. The first film had such a strong theme/message: When everyone is special, then no one is. This film had no strong theme or message. There are several ideas that are touched on. But no big theme that I could identify, which is kind of disappointing.

Still, I liked the movie. It was good. I enjoyed it. But I still left disappointed, which is too bad.

Would love to see another one.

ANd you have to ask...What did it add to the movie? The answer is nothing.

I honestly didn’t even notice it so I’m surprised it’s an issue.

I didn't notice it either. Then again, I use those words in my everyday life so they don't trigger me.

FTR, the movie was rated PG for "action sequences and some brief mild language" ... ALL of which we can use here on the DIS.

Maybe because I was with my kids, but I did notice it and actually had the thought "was that necessary? What did it ad?"

I don't think it is a huge deal and wasn't like I ran out with my hands covering my kids' ears or anything but do find it interesting the Disney included it. I know people point out the movie was PG, etc. - but still I don't think something many would expect in a Disney/PIXAR animated movie

And yes, we can use those terms on the DIS, but I also wouldn't let my kids be users on the DIS at this point

Maybe because I was with my kids, but I did notice it and actually had the thought "was that necessary? What did it ad?"

I don't think it is a huge deal and wasn't like I ran out with my hands covering my kids' ears or anything but do find it interesting the Disney included it. I know people point out the movie was PG, etc. - but still I don't think something many would expect in a Disney/PIXAR animated movie

And yes, we can use those terms on the DIS, but I also wouldn't let my kids be users on the DIS at this point
I guess. I think Pixar has always been a bit more than a kids movie studio so maybe I don't mind it as much either? I wouldn't expect something like that in a Disney Princess movie but it doesn't bother me in the Incredibles. I also think that they might have went into this movie knowing their audience would be a little older this time around. I grew up with the original and now I am 20. I couldn't tell you how many people my age went to Incredibles 2. It was sort of a growing joke on social media that the kids needed to step aside for the teenagers and young adults to see this movie.

I guess. I think Pixar has always been a bit more than a kids movie studio so maybe I don't mind it as much either? I wouldn't expect something like that in a Disney Princess movie but it doesn't bother me in the Incredibles. I also think that they might have went into this movie knowing their audience would be a little older this time around. I grew up with the original and now I am 20. I couldn't tell you how many people my age went to Incredibles 2. It was sort of a growing joke on social media that the kids needed to step aside for the teenagers and young adults to see this movie.

that is definitely what I think - I too saw a ton on social media from people who have been waiting 14 years to see this joking about they dont' want to see any kids in the theater as they aren't the ones who were waiting so long for this moment, etc. - that the movie is "aged" along with the fan base

Again, definitely not a huge deal or anything, but I did notice it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!