In memoriam of our dear friend PaHunter

Just heard about "PA Hunter"'s passing. I am not on the Camping forum much anymore even though I try to keep up with the regulars I 'knew'! Could tell from his posts that he was a great guy to know. My heart goes out to his grieving family, especially his wife Jenn. He will be sorely missed. DH & I was so impressed with his lego building and photography.

1. Alas, I only met him once.
2. It was at a DIZ-Meet at The Fort, and he showed us his Rig.
3. The picnic with other FW Friends was nice, and so pleasant to meet-and-speak with him.
4. After back-and-forth on many DIS-Forum topics, it was nice to say "Hello".
5. My wife and I watched and prayed during his illness and hospitalization.
6. We sent some Get Well items to the hospital and got such a heart-warming "Thank You".
7. One of those replies that brought major tears (yes, I admit to them!).
8. Wife and I wish we could have met him, again, when strong enough to travel.
9. God Bless, and prayers for the family (and the DIZers that knew him).

NOTE:
I have not been on the Boards for a while due to the pain of 2-broken vertebrae.
The relief from Radio-Frequency Ablation subsided and the pain returned.
Am living on Oxycodone and Scotch until another RFA procedure.
It was only during our breakfast with bama_ed we heard of PaHunter.
Even at such a pleasant meal, the feelings welled up within me.
😭

Mrs. PAHunter (aka Chris's dw Jen) here posting for the first time. Had been meaning to register my own login for weeks, but finally took the time tonight. Can't promise I'll post often or with as many pictures as Chris always did; I'm not a photographer nor a social media person (no Facebook for this gal) and after being on a computer for work all day, more screen time is the last thing I really want.
The last two months have found Reba and I building new routines without Chris and she doesn't glare at me near as often for not bringing home her snuggle buddy of the last year and a half. We both miss him, but taking everything one day at a time.
Have to brag a little, and I know Chris is quietly smiling at my recent adventure. Our last camping trip together ended in hours of torrential rains and our camper slide developed a leak worthy of a bathroom shower. Since Chris's passing, I was able to get it scheduled for some maintenance and repairs (outside slide sealant, not rubber gasket, was shot/rotted and useless - it's not a new rig!), but had to drive it the 15 minutes down the road to the shop myself, and home again when repairs completed! Before this, I had only driven it 20 miles on a quiet interstate with Chris as my co-pilot, once! I was so nervous then and more so without him. I pulled out at 0730 on a Sunday morning for the lightest traffic possible on our busy road. I can't describe how proud I felt when I backed it cleanly into the parking space on the first try (beginner's luck; I don't expect it to go that smoothly the first campsite I park in.) I just sat there stunned a minute and had to share a word with Chris that 'I did it, Honey.' And the return trip last Saturday morning (New Year's Eve) was just as successful...getting it back into the driveway, straight, leveled, and plugged back in for the rest of the winter went just as smoothly. I know I'll get more comfortable driving the big rig with some experience, and plan to get lots of miles on it during the 2023 camping season. I'm just bracing myself for the emotional ringer of traveling without Chris. Giving myself this year to decide what I want to do regarding camping for the long-term.

Thank you to all our DisBoards friends out there who kept Chris company online, especially during his many hospital stays followed by his lonely days at home when I was at the office. Your continued support has helped me in ways our families can't. I look forward to chatting with all of you online and hope to meet many of you in campgrounds (including the Fort?)

Speaking of which, last I heard, a DisMeet at the Fort was being chatted up for late 2024. I owe Chris a Fort Wilderness stay and WDW visit during Christmas. We had cancelled reservations for such a trip twice before, for different reasons. Maybe these two ideas will coincide, maybe not.

Until next time...

Thank you, Mrs PA Hunter! :)

Congrats on getting the coach back and forth. Driving gets better with practice. We need to get you a life size card board cutout of Chris. You can prop him up in the passenger seat. He'll always be with you in your heart and in card board.

We do have some rumblings of a DIS Meet in November 2024. There is a sticky at the top of the Community Board. It is still way too early for reservations, but we plan on being there. It will be fantastic to see you and Reba (and cardboard Chris- You think I'm kidding. :))

j

Last edited:

I am so happy you got to take the camper out and do that all by yourself. That takes a lot of spirt and gusto. We all miss Chris , but we are all happy you got in the camper and got where you needed to. I would say doing this alone is a lot of work, but you will never be alone. Chris will always be by your side, as well as your disney people. You may be by yourself, but you will never be alone.

but had to drive it the 15 minutes down the road to the shop myself, and home again when repairs completed! Before this, I had only driven it 20 miles on a quiet interstate with Chris as my co-pilot, once! I was so nervous then and more so without him. I pulled out at 0730 on a Sunday morning for the lightest traffic possible on our busy road. I can't describe how proud I felt when I backed it cleanly into the parking space on the first try (beginner's luck; I don't expect it to go that smoothly the first campsite I park in.) I just sat there stunned a minute and had to share a word with Chris that 'I did it, Honey.' And the return trip last Saturday morning (New Year's Eve) was just as successful...getting it back into the driveway, straight, leveled, and plugged back in for the rest of the winter went just as smoothly. I know I'll get more comfortable driving the big rig with some experience, and plan to get lots of miles on it during the 2023 camping season.
Excellent!!!:drive: The more practice the more relaxed you will become:thumbsup2

Mrs. PaHunter, I am thrilled that you took the camper out by yourself. Grumpy Aggie (Arnold) will be gone 28 months the 24th. I still miss him so much. But I have learned to do a lot of things that he always did. We have a large RV, which I have only pulled a few times. Not sure I could handle this without wiping out everything in my path & Arnold not being my co-pilot Please keep in touch with us.

Thanks for posting on here. Yes, last Thursday night I was coming past from work trip and paused at the cemetery; saw that his marker had been placed. It didn't dawn on me to spread the word farther. Did I mention that I'm not a social media-minded person?

But since I'm here and thinking of it...got a trip planned to Perry, GA for a camping convention in about two months and was looking to visit Chris's sister in April. Soon as I have dates to consider, I'll reach out to a few of you independently to see if we might be able to catch up along the way. Stay tuned.

Schedule of trips so far has me camping about once a month through August for vacation. Between those trips, for work field visits, thinking to camp with Reba instead of kenneling her while I stay in a hotel. Big plans, see how they pan out.

You do you. As much or as little as you need to. Camp as much or as little as you want and can. Bring freinds along, it will help. Remembering and doing stuff alone is not for everyone. And it dosen't have to be that way. Remember this, you have more freinds and removed familly here then you will ever want or need. Its not a problem to call on them if needed. Move forward, gruging so, and its hard, but you always have a shoulder on the dis boards if you want it. Stay strong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter