I'm going the distance…a marathon 2019 training journal (comments & tips welcome)

Simba's Girl

DIS Veteran
Hi! I’m Heather. (with S in this picture)

Shrunkmeandsky.jpg

I’ve been a runner for quite a while now actually, like more than 10 years. I’ve had a lot of on and off cycles though as I do have a chronic autoimmune illness that has held me back a bit. Everything is under control now though and has been for a couple years, although that could change at anytime. But I just roll with it now.

Longest race I’ve done is a 10K. I've done 3 now...PR is 1:04

Longest run I’ve done is 10 miles. I literally don't remember how long it took me.

Average weekly mileage, right now around 15.

Average running pace is around 12:00. I'm a bit of a turtle. After gaining speed in my early 40s as I've crept into my mid 40s I've slowed down. In the past I have witnessed firsthand that the more miles I run week in and week out I do gain speed. It'll be interesting to see what happens this cycle.

Goals:
To train properly for and finish the 2019 WDW marathon upright and healthy. I'll post finish time goal closer to the race date.
To keep this training log weekly.

Runcation January 2019 details:

Staying: BLT 1BR, gifted points by the ILs
Joining me: DH who is doing Dopey :worship: DD2 who is going to be 16 and not running because she's a dancer and running's not her thing and DD3 who will be 12 an doing her 2nd 10K over Marathon weekend.

Dates: The girls and I Weds-Weds. DH will fly in on Tuesday so he can get his and DD's bibs.

My official training plan doesn't start until around September. This summer I'm concentrating on keeping myself injury free and continuing to build a good base. I'm almost 100% sure that I'm going to go with one of the free AMR training plans right now. That however could change...

Week ending 6/24...

Total miles...16.2
Longest run...6.2
Shortest run...3.1

Favorite run...toss up between the 6.2 (weather was awesome that run!) and today's 3.2 (testing what "easy" run feels and looks like)
Worst run...didn't have one

Annoying thing happened on today's run. My GPS using Strava spazzed out! I think it's because I needed to update the app...I hope it's because I needed to update the app...
weirdgps.jpg.png
Um...there are no roads there!!!​
Sometimes I hate technology...
meme-afraid-to-ask-andy.jpg
Today I "penciled in" all of my M training runs into my calendar...made it feel all too real! I also came to the conclusion that the next 9 weeks are going to be about building a good aerobic base. No pushing it until this training cycle starts. Most weeks will look like this previous week but with slower paces than I usually run. This also led me to questioning my nutrition since I eat mostly vegetarian, I'm worried about not consuming enough calories (or consuming total junk calories) during those long run weeks.

Next week's plan:

Run:M,T, Th (long),S

We have a heatwave coming in starting Friday...for me that will mean waking up at an ungodly hour in the morning to run. Luckily my kid's last day of school is Tuesday so that when I do this if I have to work until 10p I can squeeze a nap in before work.

Past 2 weeks in Going The Distance...

Holy hot Batman! We had a 5 day heatwave up here and I was even wilting on the last day! I love heat and all things Summer but that heatwave was b r u t a l.

Anyway...here's my training log for the last 2 weeks.
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 12.55.21 PM.png
DD2 didn't want to take a ballet class in an unairconditioned studio on the top floor of a former mill building last Tuesday so we took a Pilates class. I thought it was easy until the next day. Woah!

I managed to make it through the heatwave by doing something I never am brave enough to do...wear only a sports bra on runs and no shirt. I would also fill my water bottle with ice cubes that managed to melt in like 20 minutes but it was refreshing anyway.

We also did this during the heatwave
beachinit.jpg
The water up here is unusually warm....DD and I spent most of the day in it!

Running weeks review:
WE 7/1:
Total miles:16.7mi
Best run:4.1 miler 6/25
Most challenging run: 6/30 Can you say HEATWAVE :sunny: ugh!

WE 7/8:
Total miles: 16.5
Best Run: 7 miler 7/7!!!!
Most challenging run: Monday and Wednesday because of the oppressive heat and humidity.

Best part of these weeks came yesterday when I really, truly felt like I could run forever and stopped because I didn't want to push it. In the past I would've and have totally pushed it to the point of injury.
awesomerun.jpg
It made me so proud of myself that I didn't and I literally felt great the rest of the day! I managed to get some cleaning done in the house and then DH rewarded ourselves with this. He ran 7 yesterday too!
YAYTH.jpg
Our friends met up with us there and treated themselves too. One had done a 25mi bike ride yesterday too. We are so lucky that this place is 30 minutes from home!​

A note about this morning's run: I decided to do a MM around the track this morning (we ran with DD). Interestingly I was faster than the MM I ran back in May(?). I'm pretty sure it is because of two main things: 1. training at an overall slower pace and 2. being more consistent with training and adding a 4th day per week. This gives me even more confidence that I'll be able to rock that marathon in January!

This week's plan:
Run: T,W, F(LR), Sat. I'm not quite sure how long but I'm seriously considering doing 8...The other runs will be 3s for sure. It won't be as hot this coming week, but there'll still be hot days in the high 80s low 90s. I'll also have to maintain hydration as I'm working every.single.day. this coming week (stupid flea week).

TTFN...see you hopefully next weekend. Plan on beaching it again on Sunday so maybe won't update until Monday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!