If you hold a Chase Disney VISA Rewards card....

Dean Marino

DIS Veteran
Our recent experience - Chase Disney VISA Rewards Card...

All Rewards Points locked out due to a system wide Chase Disney VISA Rewards Card System Failure, Nov 14-17.

Please consider trading this 1% benefit card out, for a Chase "Cash Back freedom unlimited" 1.5% cash back card. The "Disney" card is really all Peggy, with "points, tokens, credits". To boot - the system fails when it rains :).

My dear wife and I will be doing this shortly.... tired of going to the desk to beg for "reward point" redemptions, three days into our trips.

WDW stopped the practice of allowing one to pre-bank Chase Disney VISA Rewards Card points against a visit a good two years ago. And for good reason. They had no way to repay cash from this dud, if you OVERpaid, ahead of time :(.

This is a dud card. It is dead. It has ceased to be. It is really no more. This is a dead Parrot (ok, card).
Seriously - Low benefit, poor return.... either Chase itself, or Cap1, will provide you with cash back at the 1.5% level for ANY charge.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Last edited:
We use the card ONLY when purchasing Disney stuff and Disney cruises. I got extra onboard credit for using it and 2% back on the cost of the cruise that i don’t pay for with gift cards. I think it’s still worth it for that. I use my southwest premier card for everything else.

A travel rewards card, such as the capitol one venture, works just as well, if not better, within the parks. $60 A year but you get unlimited 2% back. As long as you charge your disney purchases to your room, you can use that 2% credit to pay down the room balance, since technically it is a hotel room charge, even though it was used for meals, etc.
I still hold the Chase card in case I need it for admission to something special, but never use it.

Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you 3x points back on travel, 3x points back on dining. It has a steep annual fee, $450, BUT you immediately get a $300 travel credit. One year later, you again pay the $450, get another $300 travel credit, and then within 30 days, product change your card to another Chase card, to get the $450 refunded. You have to spend $4000 currently within 3 months, to get this and a large amount of bonus sign up points (something like 50, 000 right now). You have to track what your doing well to make it work, but is a great bonus. Reward points can be transfer to cash back, 1 to 1cent, or use for flights.

If you shop around you can find no annual fee cards with better cash back rewards. We have a USAA Visa with 3% cash back on everything and we use our Costco Citi card for 5% cash back on fuel.

:earsboy: Bill

If you shop around you can find no annual fee cards with better cash back rewards. We have a USAA Visa with 3% cash back on everything and we use our Costco Citi card for 5% cash back on fuel.

:earsboy: Bill

If you want to get real cute with things, you can preplan how much you will spend at Disney and just buy that much in giftcards at Target, using the redcard, and get 5% off. I already do that to pay for expected expenses and then purchase a couple hundred extra to pay for unplanned purchases. I am sure people can get even better deals than that.

Nobody should fall into the trap of thinking the Disney Visa is the best deal just because it has the Disney name in it and has a cute picture of Mickey or Darth Vader on the card. It is still worth holding onto in my mind, both for an increased amount of unused credit to help build my score, and for admittance into special areas, but it is a card I have never used for purchases once I hit the initial incentive limit.

I have the card and I only keep it because I don't pay an annual fee. I had added our daughter as an authorized user back when she first got her driver's license and I wanted her to have a card in case of emergencies. That was over 10 years ago. She never uses the card and I rarely use it. There are better rewards cards out there with more flexible rewards.

NO fee here...still using the Disney Visa....when we accumulate about 100 reward pts...I go to the Disney store and buy a Disney gift card...I have done this for years....
I go the nite before check out and usually give the CM about $500 and at times up to $900 in gift cards ....

I love my Disney Visa Card. We have been using it for more than 10 years. We put everything on it and pay the bill off at the end of the month. My annual rewards points help pay my DVC annual dues every year.

NO fee here...still using the Disney Visa....when we accumulate about 100 reward pts...I go to the Disney store and buy a Disney gift card...I have done this for years....
I go the nite before check out and usually give the CM about $500 and at times up to $900 in gift cards ....

I love my Disney Visa Card. We have been using it for more than 10 years. We put everything on it and pay the bill off at the end of the month. My annual rewards points help pay my DVC annual dues every year.

I am not saying that either of you are in the wrong to be doing what you are doing. As long as you are paying off your monthly charges and are enjoying your use of the card, by all means please do continue. It can be fun to pull out Mickey Mouse to help pay for things. Do not, however, think that you are mathematically doing the right thing for your money. Instead of using 1% rewards to be buying giftcards, you could be getting 5x as much back using a redcard, even just online if a Target is nowhere nearby.
The extra 4% comes out to only $40-200 per year for most people, so do what makes you happy as long as you do not need the extra money.

Also, as the OP mentioned, there are many simpler credit cards, with no annual fee, that have a much better cash back program.

Last edited:
I do have the Disney Visa and until recently have used exclusively.
I pay I think $59? Per year.
But this gives me 2 percent on virtually all that I use for. Restaurants, gas, supermarket and Disney. All else 1 percent. With Dvc I haven’t used the 6 months to pay for vacation perk but it was awesome to pay off my Dvc points.
Within last 2 months I have opened southwest for 40,000 points. And another chase card (delta) for 60,000 miles. Great bang on that.
We had to make big purchases of airfare and park tickets for my DD sweet 16 so the 2 percent of Disney I realized was in no way comparable to those opening miles bonus.
Keeri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter