If the new gondola, Skyliner, is successful, will they create more lines?

How much would it cost to "refurb" the existing monorail lines... havent they been doing a lot of work on the lines (not the cars) the past few years with all the closures? I can't imagine demolishing would be cheap or good PR especially with the capacities those things move around
The existing lines are okay. The MK lines (resort and express) are in better shape than the Epcot line though. Those closures over the last few years were for the installation of the automation system not work on the lines.

True, however it proves Future World will undergo big changes.

Agree. But there's no guarantee that those changes will include either removing Innoventions or keeping the monorail. The fact that they said so little about Epcot at D23 suggests that they could actually drag this out until after the Skyliner is built.

Just too early to draw any conclusions at this point.

The Disney Skyliner is scheduled to open in time for Star Wars.

Right. 2 years.

Knowing there is a "driver" in the monorail might have a physiological benefit, but in reality the driver doesn't have access to the passenger areas.

Many smaller cars might give you more capacity then just two big ones. There is also a physiological benefit to the small cars in that they are continuously loading and thus the line waiting for them is continuously moving, so if you are in line you are never left wondering when the next car will arrive.
OK -- I was trying to be nice and exercise restraint, but that's twice now that you've used physiological when you obviously meant psychological! A physiological benefit might be reduced blood pressure or improved urine retention, but I really don't think that's what you meant.

Agree. But there's no guarantee that those changes will include either removing Innoventions or keeping the monorail. The fact that they said so little about Epcot at D23 suggests that they could actually drag this out until after the Skyliner is built.

Just too early to draw any conclusions at this point.
I don't see them removing the monorail until they have to in that it simply doesn't run anymore. I haven't heard of a single plan that involves removing the monorail.

OK -- I was trying to be nice and exercise restraint, but that's twice now that you've used physiological when you obviously meant psychological! A physiological benefit might be reduced blood pressure or improved urine retention, but I really don't think that's what you meant.

I am a horrible speller, I will freely admit that.

Weren't they always fixing the Seven Seas Lagoon loop beams? I always read a lot of updates during Mine Train's construction where a beam was always being worked on

Weren't they always fixing the Seven Seas Lagoon loop beams? I always read a lot of updates during Mine Train's construction where a beam was always being worked on
I thought that the Grand Floridian Villas construction had daily monorail closures so material could be lifted over the monorail beams may have been around that time?

I did notice it looked like there were a few new beam sections(or new surface) on the Epcot line going into TTC.

There are a couple new sections. That's where they are parking one of the tugs so it's accessible to the Epcot line and not have to switch from the one of the MK beams. That was being worked on about 5-6 years ago.

A psychological issue can certainly cause a physiological issue.

Anxiety can easily manifest itself with physical panic attacks.

So in this situation both apply.

:D

Any word on the speed of the Skyliner? Not including the slowdown and/or stop at each station.

I hear they're gonna be linear induction...75 mph max speed

Haven't heard specific speeds.

Based on the discussion of expansion I was trying to think of two far points on property. I figured Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom were more or less edge to edge. Google maps shows ~6 miles if driving, but it's ~4 miles when drawing a straight line.

Obviously they won't do max speed, so for the sake of easy math, if they are going 60 mph (not including the wait time for a gondola, +1 minute for loading, +1 minute for unloading) the trip would be 8 minutes if they "follow" the road, or 6 minutes if they did a straight line.

I've never rode in a gondola system before, so I'm betting what I'm laying out isn't realistic, but from the perspective of someone who doesn't rent a car on his Disney trips, 10 minutes from Animal Kingdom to Magic Kingdom seems like a pretty good alternative to the 45 minute (20 minute wait + 25 minute travel time) bus trip.

Again, before things get out of hand, I'm probably way off base with this...just trying to see what travel times might be.

EDIT: I probably missed some of lockedoutlogic's juicy sarcasm...because that's how little I know about this system.

Based on the discussion of expansion I was trying to think of two far points on property. I figured Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom were more or less edge to edge. Google maps shows ~6 miles if driving, but it's ~4 miles when drawing a straight line.

Obviously they won't do max speed, so for the sake of easy math, if they are going 60 mph (not including the wait time for a gondola, +1 minute for loading, +1 minute for unloading) the trip would be 8 minutes if they "follow" the road, or 6 minutes if they did a straight line.

I've never rode in a gondola system before, so I'm betting what I'm laying out isn't realistic, but from the perspective of someone who doesn't rent a car on his Disney trips, 10 minutes from Animal Kingdom to Magic Kingdom seems like a pretty good alternative to the 45 minute (20 minute wait + 25 minute travel time) bus trip.

Again, before things get out of hand, I'm probably way off base with this...just trying to see what travel times might be.

You went for the bait...they won't go nearly that fast

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter