If I want resale and direct to get the benefits what works best?

Not to hijack the thread here, but I’m also leaning towards buying direct at BWV. We’re a family of 5, and while one kid is still under 3, eventually I’m assuming I end up buying 5 APs if I’m getting DVC, either resale or direct.

Even if I end up saving $20-40 per point if I went resale on a small contract, the almost $1,500/yr savings on five Gold APs vs five Platinum overcomes that savings rather quickly.

1. It depends upon how many points you're looking at purchasing. Assuming a 160 point contract, $40 per point is $6400. With a $1500 per year "savings", you'd make it back in just over 4 years. However, have you considered alternatives to getting an annual pass? Most people make one trip per year, using up all the points in their contracts. A length of stay pass may be cheaper than an AP.

2. There is no guarantee that the "savings" on Annual Passes will continue to be offered.

1. It depends upon how many points you're looking at purchasing. Assuming a 160 point contract, $40 per point is $6400. With a $1500 per year "savings", you'd make it back in just over 4 years. However, have you considered alternatives to getting an annual pass? Most people make one trip per year, using up all the points in their contracts. A length of stay pass may be cheaper than an AP.

2. There is no guarantee that the "savings" on Annual Passes will continue to be offered.

At 160 points, I would really recommend the hybrid route of 100 resale and 75 direct. Then you are only paying $3000 extra based on a $40/pt upcharge. Of course, a 100 point resale would be more expensive per point than 160, so the math isn't exact. Also, you would have to specifically match the UY of both contracts, but it could be a way to save a few thousand and make it easier to make up the difference.

At 160 points, I would really recommend the hybrid route of 100 resale and 75 direct. Then you are only paying $3000 extra based on a $40/pt upcharge. Of course, a 100 point resale would be more expensive per point than 160, so the math isn't exact. Also, you would have to specifically match the UY of both contracts, but it could be a way to save a few thousand and make it easier to make up the difference.
technically speaking -- you wouldn't necessarily have to match the UYs since I think they will let you buy a minimum of 75 points at some of the resorts.

I was curious about how to get the most out of my investment to purchase DVC and still get everything. I talked to a Disney guide and they said the least amount of points I can buy from them direct is 75 to start with. Is it best to buy a direct 75 points from them and then buy more points resale to be able to get all of the member benefits but still save on the bulk of the points? I would like to end up with around 200 points, so was wondering if there was a more inexpensive way to get that rather than buy 75 points from Disney and 125 via resale. I have heard of being able to add 25 points direct after buying resale, but is that still available to do? Any help you can provide is appreciated!
You'll need roughly 20-25 discounted passes in the first few years to break even retail vs resale and since the program is not guaranteed, I would want to get the difference in savings fairly quickly. IF I were going to buy both, I'd buy the resale first (and slightly larger than you calculate you need) because it's much easier to match up a retail to a resale purchase than the reverse. That way you can judge how it's going and then be ready to do the add on if that's still your goal AND you still feel it's a good move. By buying a few more on the resale side you'll have options if you later decide the retail isn't worth it. In reality it's very difficult to make up the difference financially.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!