Ideas for 1 year old on plane

belu

Earning My Ears
What did you do to entertain your 1 year old on the plane. Mine will be 15 months when we next fly. He was easy to fly with when he was 5 months but I know it will be a totallly different ball game this time around.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Belu

We have had great luck flying with DD, who is now almost 3. We have always bought a seat for her, and used her carseat, so it was just like being in a very large car for her. We found that she loved having a crayon and a couple pictures of familiar characters, and having some Cheerios or something to snack on. Most of the time we fly during what would normally be sleepy or napping times, and she is out before the plane can leave the gate. We'll see with the excitement of this next trip how she does. It will be us 4, plus my parents and Grandma. Lots of people for her to talk to. Another idea... If you little one likes to hear you read, take along some favorite books, or get a new special one, and read to them.

I heard from a friend that has traveled overseas several times with an infant/toddler that if you plan on a new or never before seen toy/activity(1 per every hour of flight) you will be ok. I have purchased a travel magna doodle, a few new board books (Disney Princess), mini Disney see and say, Toy Story bendables, and plenty of snacks. Alll in a Cool new backpack (Monsters Inc.) for 9.99 as the DS online. I was lucky to visit our local Disney Character Outlet and found some great bargains too. Hope this helps!

Does your child still use a bottle or pacifier? I would suggest this for the take off & landing to reduce the pressure in the ears. If not, maybe some of those saftey suckers? (A regular sucker with the looped stick) Messy with a little one but it will help ase any discomfort since chewing gum is out of the question. that's all I've got!

we have flown. We bring his "B" (Blanket), a couple of new matchbox cars, magna doodle, stories, and fun & forbidden snacks, like ring pops, chips, etc. Window clings are great fun as well.

Be sure to bring something like a toddler meal, and plenty of milk/juice. We have been delayed and thank goodness we had these items, cuz otherwise we would have been in trouble. Also, a lot of planes do not have milk, and DS will only drink milk.

You'll have a blast!

iluvtig

Second everything: lots of different snacks, and new toys or activities, introduced at different times-- remember, these are your secret weapons. Don't pull out a new toy if baby is already happy. Wait until restlessness, fussiness begins, and then pull it out (LOOK! A BLUE'S CLUES KEYCHAIN)! Could buy you 35 minutes.

They usually do eventually fall asleep, although you can't count on this. Good luck!

My son was 15 months on our last trip (last month). One of his favorite things right now is lift the flap books. I found some small ones at the book store. This really helped to occupy him.

We also brought lots of snacks and drinks and his pacifier and favorite stuffed bunny. He did sleep for a while, but not as long as he would have if he'd been in his crib.

One thing we had a problem with was that he was kicking the seat in front of him. Not to be naughty, just because that's the level his feet were at when he was strapped into his car seat. We took off his shoes and that pretty much stopped the kicking.

Good luck and have a great time!

Mine was 22months old. We brought crayons, stickers, mini travel magna doodle and a couple of small disney figures. She slept most of the way (Luckily) but stickers were a savior!!!! Not only were they great on the plane, they kept her busy at meals, on boats, buses and waiting in line. I never go anywhere without stickers now. I also brought snacks that she likes and juice box.

Benadryl. Actually, we gave our son this before his first flight for practical reasons...he has really bad allergies and we were worried that the recycled air would aggravate them. But we got the added benefit of it making him sleepy, so he got a really nice nap!

Pipe cleaners! We also bring those little pom poms that have a hole in them and our 2 year old threads them on the pipe cleaners. They are cheap too, so I don't worry about losing them.

We also have a book called "The Cheerios Play Book." It has pictures with little grooves in it to put Cheerios in (like missing tires on a truck or buttons on a shirt). He will play with that and snack for at least 30 minutes. They also have books available for raisins, goldfish and M&Ms.

We also bring those Crayola wonder markers because they won't mark up the trays on the airplane.

DD has had four plane trips since she was 14 months old. I too contest to "new = novelty = we're doing great!" I never pull anything new out until we need it!

Snack are probably a real biggie since they only serve a small bag of pretzels on most flights. Since your baby will just be over one maybe they are still doing a bottle - great for take off and landing for ear pressure.

Although I do bring a bag of diversions (books, crayons, stickers etc.) her number one favorite thing to do on every flight - is to play with that SkyPhone!!!!! She loves phones and talks on it for more than half the flight. Also playing "peek-a-boo" to the clouds with the window shade is a real big hit. We always allow her some time to sit on our laps too during mid-flight. We all enjoy the cuddle time.

We've gotten lucky several times with her taking a nap too!

Best wishes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter