Iceland - Packing Questions

BluesTraveler

DIS Veteran
Full packing efforts have begun here. A few questions:

- We are packing waterproof hiking shoes and regular running shoes. Any need for Keens for the kids?
- You pinky-promise we only need casual clothes? Truly nothing dressier?
- Youngest DS does not own gloves (we live in the land of Hot and Humid - south Georgia). Does he need them?
- All of the hotels have hair dryers?
- Any long bus rides we need to be prepared for?
- Anything you didn't pack but wish you had?
- Anything you packed and felt incredibly smug about because you used it over and over again?

Hi! On our way home today. You only need the hiking boots and sneakers. Also, I promise no dressy clothes are needed. I wore my gloves but the rest of my family did not. You can borrow gloves at a few spots- horseback riding and rafting. Hairdryers are in all the hotels. Yes....to long bus rides. The last day especially with a 2 hour and a three hour ride. There are a few other longer rides. We didn’t feel we missed bringing anything or that we brought anything extremely helpful. Have fun!

For those who have been or go in the next few weeks, I'd also like to know if you ended up wearing a layer under your tech pants? We have silk "long underwear", basically a base layer. Normally I'd throw it in to be safe, but every ounce is counting on this trip!

Also, were there times when a guide used the whisper devices? Wondering if we would like to have regular earphones with us

Thanks!

For those who have been or go in the next few weeks, I'd also like to know if you ended up wearing a layer under your tech pants? We have silk "long underwear", basically a base layer. Normally I'd throw it in to be safe, but every ounce is counting on this trip!

Also, were there times when a guide used the whisper devices? Wondering if we would like to have regular earphones with us

Thanks!

I wore tights under my rain pants. The guides never used whisper devices.

Adding one additional question:
Do you recommend bringing / obtaining any local currency for this adventure? I recall from the trip report that credit cards were accepted everywhere — wasn’t sure if there were any times when cash would be preferred. Thanks so much!!

NEVER was asked for cash. My husband even bought a hot dog from a local stand and used a credit card....

We arrived early this morning and I would mention a ball cap would be useful to keep rain off your face. My rain jacket does have a hood but wish I had packed a ball cap. Luckily, lots of cute stores around and easy to pick up anything you forgot.

I would also say be sure your suitcase has room for some purchases! We are not really big shoppers, so this wasn't on my radar, but the sweaters and wool throw blankets are just beautiful. Prices seem reasonable for the quality.

Glad you arrived and thanks for your post. The charges for mailing from Iceland is very expensive so your advice for taking items with you upon your return is a great tip.

Glad you arrived and thanks for your post. The charges for mailing from Iceland is very expensive so your advice for taking items with you upon your return is a great tip.
We have our farewell tonight-- agree with above, and I didn't think long underwear needed.

Thanks!
I have fleece lined leggings, and that's what I wore under my rain pants yesterday. I should have worn them today as well under my hiking pants - no rain but about 49 for the high and I've been cold while out exploring.

Things we brought that were totally unnecessary:

Dinner clothes! We only dressed for 1 dinner (welcome.dinner) and everyone was comfy and casual and we were probably overdressed (I wore a dress and.wedges and husband wore pants and Cubavera shirt). All other dinners together we went to straight from activities and didn't have any chance to change. Save the space and weight and just wear your day stuff to the welcome.dinner too !

I brought a pair of sandals, some Uggs, a cute pair of fur lined rain boots, ballet flats... imagined cute pics touring town. Save that space! Ha! The only.shoes you need are sneakers and waterproof hiking boots. I did use a pair of flip flops because I always wear them.but certainly didn't need them.

Brought shorts for everyone and didn't wear them once. I'd bring 1 pair just in case but pants were definitely needed.

Our layers were: t-shirt, flannel shirt, fleece vest, rain jacket. Pants were either jeans or fleece lined leggings, and we threw on rain Pants as needed (and you definitely want to bring them) Every day that kept us plenty warm except for the glacier hike/iceberg lagoon day where we wore our heavy winter jackets. I brought 2 winter jackets because, again, pictures but that was total waste of space! The weather could always be colder and you may get more use out of a warm jacket than we did (some people wore theirs often anyway).

We did not bring any thermal layers nor did we need them.

Bring nice, warm tall socks. You'll want them for a few activities and they're great for keeping feet warm. I only brought 2 pairs and then a bunch of thin athletic ankle socks... ended up wearing my 2 tall socks most of the time on repeat!

If you want to get your hair wet at either lagoon you visit, bring your own shampoo and conditioner. The Blue Lagoon has some to use, the second baths in Mývatn just have a foamy multipurpose soap and no conditioner. They say the Mývatn water isn't as hard on your hair as the Blue Lagoon but the tip of my braid got wet and it felt the same to me :) I read that a shampoo and conditioner without protein is the best option for cleaning hair after the baths, but a little research will tell you everything you want to know!

I'll add more if I think of anything ... That's what has come to my head sitting here heading home from Iceland!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!